CPU and CORE hotter than everything else?

akros

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012
Hello all I have a quick question about my CPU temp. At idle everything is below average temp including my video card except for my CPU and CORE. They run at about 41~42. Anybody have insight about this? Thanks!

akros

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012

Not OC'd and I think I have Cool 'n'Quiet enabled by default not sure, I didn't play with any of the settings

akros

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012

Downloading right now, and what do you mean? how do I check?

akros

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012

Stock CPU heatsink, ambient is like low 20's most of the time, I just built my PC about 2 weeks ago and i used the stock thermal paste

edit: messed up ambient temp I thought it meant inside of PC

akros

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012

Voltage is 1.512, and how long do I run prime for the load temp?

Edit: Ran prime for about 5 minutes and both jumped to 62~

akros

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012

lowered to 1.3625 in ASRock extreme tuner, what will the voltage do?

Edit: CPU-Z says it dropped to 1.37~ and my temp now is 40 for CPU and 38 for CORE

rdc85

Honorable
Lower voltage means lower heat (and add lifetime of the processor)

sometimes to archive higher clock need bigger voltage to stabilize it, since u are not doing O.C or anything similar those voltage is good enough...

akros

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012

Will it affect performance?

akros

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012

I will run Prime95 tomorrow morning, just upped it to 1.3750, CPU-Z says its running at 1.3920. Thanks for the help everyone, will report in again tomorrow with the benchmark.

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
I'm still wondering why the voltage was so high with no overclock.

OP, the high voltage shown in CPU-Z iz exactly why your temps were high. Manually lowering the voltage will lower your temps, but I still think something else is going on here.

Your CPU should not run voltages that high at stock settings and it shouldn't require manual intervention on your part to bring them down.

I'm not familiar with ASRock's motherboard features, but your symptoms bear a strong resemblance to an "automatic overclock" feature found on some other motherboards.

What frequency (not voltage) is CPU-Z showing when your CPU is at idle for a couple minutes?

The advice given above about lowering voltage will indeed lower your temps, but we may just be band-aiding a symptom, rather than getting to the root cause of why your motherboard saw fit to pump that much voltage to your chip in the first place.

febfive

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
Can anyone post the download link of "prime" I want to try it..
I also have 965BE and my CoreTemp results CPU#: 37C Min: 35C Max:55C to 57C..
When I'm playing COD4 ModernWarfare and Nba2k11 my coretemp is around 40C-45C.. Sometime 40-48C (specially in the afternoon because its very hot in my place..
My highest in Max i remember one time 58C but most of the time 55C Max, never been at 60C..
When searching the net and wathcing movies my temp is only 35C to 38C (sometimes 40C when the climate is hot)
I'm using Aerocool VX-9 pro case, good airflow but not good in cable management..
By the way I'm just using onboard graphics and stock cpu cooler, So can anyone tell me if my temps are normal?(Going to buy GPU nextweek)..

akros

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012

Went into motherboard settings in my UEFI and clock speeds were set to AUTO with cool n quiet, I put it on manual and changed the voltage to 1.3750 and left everything else as is. I will be running Prime for an hour as of now frequency for each core is running 3400 GHz, its running much more cool now, at about 35~37 idle

EDIT: Ran prime95 for 1 Hour and the load temp was 55~ Give or take 1.

Now those are very reasonable temperatures considering you're on the stock cooler. Glad to know the temperatures went down.

@Z1NONLY

It's weird how some motherboards overvolt the CPU without touching anything. My brother had a Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 Mobo which put his stock X4 955 to 1.45v.

rdc85

Honorable
some motherboard designed with default higher voltage to acomodate auto/beginner O.C, and as usual they do a lousy jobs with the design (or maybe BIOS) ....

Since i'm not ownig ASRock 970 Extreme3 so cannot said for sure, but if the other people with that board had same voltage range then it was design problems..