Ryzen R5 3600 @ 4.1 ghz (PBO enabled)
Enermax AquaFusion 240mm AIO
Asrock B450m Steel Legend
Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3000mhz XMP
MSI RTX 2060 Super Armor OC
Samsung 970 Evo 250gb nvme
1 TB Western Digital
Corsair CX 650w

OK so I've been wondering if I have a bottleneck in my system. I would imagine that a decent mid range CPU like the 3600 should handle most modern games. Obviously it will run AA, and indie games fine but when I play AAA games I begin to notice a pattern. I wouldn't say it it's struggling because the most CPU usage I've seen it gone was around 60-70% in any game, but it isn't pushing my GPU to full utilization when I play AAA games like BFV, GTA V, Far Cry 5. You could say that could be a result of optimization and some games not utilizing all cores and I would be fine with that however when I searched online/youtube for benchmarks with the same components running the same games I didn't see a bottleneck as the GPU Usage was at 90-99% most of the time. I'm just trying to figure out what's causing to bottleneck my system. It's frustrating because there's 15-30 frames being left off the table.

Last edited:
Solution
A 2060 Super/R5-3600 combo simply might not be capable of consistent 144 Hz gaming in BF5...; it is a challenging game when details/texture are turned up, and is considered to still be at lest somewhat GPU-limited even when 2080Ti is being utilized. No one can be sure your GPU-utilization drop-offs are caused by any one factor without directly comparing framerates at the exact point in the game under near identical conditions with another better GPU, and , potentially a faster CPU.

Perhaps ability to feed/nearly- saturate the GPU does fall off in intense action sequences where more/stronger threads might be helpful.

Below is CPU scaling (7600K thru R5-3700X/8700K) with a 2080Ti, skip to ~ 9:00 in the video to see BF5 framerates...
I'd not be placing any preconceived/imagined CPU/GPU arbitrary usage ratios as determining if a CPU or GPU is functioning properly...

I'd not expect to see 12 threads saturated in any game, and, unless playing with max res/details/quality/filtering, odds are the 2060 Super will rarely show near 100% usage either...(you can try disabling SMT to see if a given game does better with only 6 threads vice 12, but, I'd not expect an improvement in BF5. Both BF1 and BF5 are partially GPU-limited even at 1080P in high details)

Are you dissatisfied with frame rates, or, more so not satisfied what you think CPU/GPU usage ratios ought to be, given experience with much older/weaker CPUs and GPUs?

If you play at 1080P, reduced details/textures, and are not v-sync limited, your frame rates should go up, as well as CPU usage to a degree.

Does your CPU ramp up/maintain decent clock speeds without nearing throttle temps?

Feb 5, 2020
I'd not be placing any preconceived/imagined CPU/GPU arbitrary usage ratios as determining if a CPU or GPU is functioning properly...

I'd not expect to see 12 threads saturated in any game, and, unless playing with max res/details/quality/filtering, odds are the 2060 Super will rarely show near 100% usage either...(you can try disabling SMT to see if a given game does better with only 6 threads vice 12, but, I'd not expect an improvement in BF5. Both BF1 and BF5 are partially GPU-limited even at 1080P in high details)

Are you dissatisfied with frame rates, or, more so not satisfied what you think CPU/GPU usage ratios ought to be, given experience with much older/weaker CPUs and GPUs?

If you play at 1080P, reduced details/textures, and are not v-sync limited, your frame rates should go up, as well as CPU usage to a degree.

Does your CPU ramp up/maintain decent clock speeds without nearing throttle temps?
I do 144hz 1080p gaming so I want maximize as much frames as possible from my GPU. I actually am satisfied with with the frames....when my GPU Usage is at 90%+. But obviously when my GPU usage fluctuates to 50-70% I go from 100-120 fps to 70-90fps which for me atleast is very noticeable. If I could just get it to sustain at atleast 90% then I would have no complaints.

For my CPU Clock speeds It usually stays around 3995ghz will ramping up to 4.0ghz occasionally. As for my temps I adjusted my fan curves enough to where it wont go past 80c. My avg temp is about 75c.

Feb 5, 2020
cpu/gpu temp and usage during the game?
ram/ssd/hdd usage?
what game? what resolution?
cpu/gpu temp and usage during the game?
ram/ssd/hdd usage?
what game? what resolution?
I game at 1080 144hz. My Clock speeds are mostly remains at 3995ghz while temps are around 75-76c. My memory frequency is constant at 3000mhz. My never temps never go past 72c. The most recent games I played would be FC5, GTA V, and BFV( only the prologue). In FC5 my Gpu usage is ranges from 68%-80% while hitting 90% in some areas. GTA 5 is where I notice it the most. My GPU usage in that game never goes past 70% so I would get around 70-85 fps. Only certain areas in the game where I have the GPU usage at 90% where I get frames up to 115-125 fps unless im inside a building. When I drive to the city sometimes it would go as low as 60fps. But to be fair its one of the most demanding parts of the map. As for BV5 it stays around 60%. As for my CPU the usage is fairly moderate in all games as it stays around 50-60%

Last edited:
I highly doubt his memory is the issue. 3000mhz CL14 or Cl16 is still fine enough.

Make sure all your drivers and BIOS are up to date OP. I have a incredibly similar setup (specs in signature), and I have zero bottlenecking.

If your GPU isn't always above 90% it is most likely a game engine bottleneck. I have that in some titles. But most games my GPU does stay at 95-99% usage.

A 2060 Super/R5-3600 combo simply might not be capable of consistent 144 Hz gaming in BF5...; it is a challenging game when details/texture are turned up, and is considered to still be at lest somewhat GPU-limited even when 2080Ti is being utilized. No one can be sure your GPU-utilization drop-offs are caused by any one factor without directly comparing framerates at the exact point in the game under near identical conditions with another better GPU, and , potentially a faster CPU.

Perhaps ability to feed/nearly- saturate the GPU does fall off in intense action sequences where more/stronger threads might be helpful.

Below is CPU scaling (7600K thru R5-3700X/8700K) with a 2080Ti, skip to ~ 9:00 in the video to see BF5 framerates, noting that8700K, 3700X, and 3600 to drop to about 103 FPS minimum, even with a 2080Ti...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJhtmsohbw4&t=748s

Solution

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I wouldn't say it it's struggling because the most CPU usage I've seen it gone was around 60-70% in any game,

If you're measuring CPU usage you need to be looking at specific cores. You're never gonna see 100% CPU usage on a 3600, not with 6 cores and 12 threads, few if any games can take advantage of that. So you'll have 1 or 2 cores at 100%, a couple more at like 50%, and so on down the line, add all that usage together and your CPU is well below 100% usage. Compare that to someone running an older 4 core i5 (for example), that CPU WILL be at 100% because it only has 4 cores/threads.