Question CPU Cooling fan stopped spinning?

miketitolo

Reputable
Aug 29, 2016
I have an Intel i7-6700k @ 4.00 GHz Skylake. It looks like the little fan that sits atop the processor on the water cooling device stopped spinning. Tried cleaning it, compressed air, q-tips with alcohol, removed the blade and cleaned the gunk where it spins, etc. It started running one day again slightly after cleaning, then went slow, then stopped again. I'm worried to game with this computer now while the fan isn't working.

I religiously check temperatures on 2 different programs and they're never at dangerous temperatures. I'm not handy enough to remove the fan and put a new one in. It looks like where all the power cables connect to the motherboard or the PSU runs in a tight area where I'd have to almost take everything else out as well.

My question is, will this be a problem even though I'm not running super hot temps?

Does the fact that I have a water cooler kind of prevent me from having to worry about this fan? There is another fan atop the case that expels heat, but I think the watercooler fan has something to do with removing the heat from the water that cools the processor?

Its hard to find Computer Shops that could just swap the fan for me these days, it's not 1998. Best Buy Geek Squad are the only people around and 9 times out of 10, I know more than they do. Many of them are young kids who only know phones and can maybe setup an internet router.

Advice? All responses welcomed, thank you.

I have an Intel i7-6700k @ 4.00 GHz Skylake. It looks like the little fan that sits atop the processor on the water cooling device stopped spinning. Tried cleaning it, compressed air, q-tips with alcohol, removed the blade and cleaned the gunk where it spins, etc. It started running one day again slightly after cleaning, then went slow, then stopped again. I'm worried to game with this computer now while the fan isn't working.

I religiously check temperatures on 2 different programs and they're never at dangerous temperatures. I'm not handy enough to remove the fan and put a new one in. It looks like where all the power cables connect to the motherboard or the PSU runs in a tight area where I'd have to almost take everything else out as well.

My question is, will this be a problem even though I'm not running super hot temps?

Does the fact that I have a water cooler kind of prevent me from having to worry about this fan? There is another fan atop the case that expels heat, but I think the watercooler fan has something to do with removing the heat from the water that cools the processor?

Its hard to find Computer Shops that could just swap the fan for me these days, it's not 1998. Best Buy Geek Squad are the only people around and 9 times out of 10, I know more than they do. Many of them are young kids who only know phones and can maybe setup an internet router.

Advice? All responses welcomed, thank you.
Missed critical info, which cooler ?