[SOLVED] CPU core #2 going above 100 Celsius

RageSpell

Honorable
Sep 26, 2015
Hi there, I have recently gotten a new case, motherboard, power supply, and cpu cooler to get a new look. I have an intel i7 7700, and it has been overheating without playing games, every time I open up a simple program, the temperature in core number 2 goes up to 100 C. I have taken off and put back the new cooler onto the build with new thermal paste to see if maybe I didn't put it on correctly. Nothing seems to have worked, I'm pretty sure I have placed the cooler correctly and whenever I touch the heatsink on the cooler, it's not even a little hot which I know should not happen.
Appreciate the help in advance.
-David

Solution
That is truly strange.
One possibility is that in the process of switching motherboards you bent a pin in the motherboard socket.
It is very easy to do. If you do not simply drop the cpu into the socket you can cause damage.
If you needed to smoosh the cpu around to get it seated, you likely damaged a pin.
A bent pin is hard to see and it can cause all sorts of strange problems, depending on what the pin controls. A common symptom is the inability to run dual channel ram.
I can't say that a hot core is a symptom I have ever heard of, but it is a possibility.
Take the cooler off and inspect the pins very closely. If you see a bent pin, try to straighten with a needle. Otherwise, the motherboard needs to be replaced.
What is the make/model of your new parts, and what was the old?
It is common to have one core hotter than the rest.
By itself, that is not a problem.

Run HWmonitor.
It will give you the current, minimum, and maximum temperatures.
At idle, you should see a cpu temperature around 10-15c. over ambient.
If much more, there is something wrong with your cooler or mount.
A common dumb mistake is to forget to remove the protective mylar from the bottom of the cooler.

RageSpell

Honorable
Sep 26, 2015
What is the make/model of your new parts, and what was the old?
It is common to have one core hotter than the rest.
By itself, that is not a problem.

Run HWmonitor.
It will give you the current, minimum, and maximum temperatures.
At idle, you should see a cpu temperature around 10-15c. over ambient.
If much more, there is something wrong with your cooler or mount.
A common dumb mistake is to forget to remove the protective mylar from the bottom of the cooler.

My new motherboard is an MSI z170a krait gaming lga 1151, the cooler is a Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition, my power supply is a Corsair HX850W Semi-Modular PSU ATX. The previous motherboard was from dell, I basically took out the processor from a prebuilt Dell desktop. One thing I noticed is that I could play for hours on 100 Celsius and would get about the same FPS as the old build I had. I was thinking that it might be a broken temperature sensor because if it was really overheating, I would just shut down my computer frequently, especially while gaming. Do you think that's the problem, a broken temperature sensor? Thank you.

i7-7700(not the K version) is not a hot processor.
At a true 100c. the processor should shut down.
Nothing measures the temperature directly. It is done by a calculation based on electrical signals.
So the app that gives you the temperature may be suspect.
When you start up the pc, look in the bios. It should have an idle temperature.
That should be in the 10-15c. over ambient range if your cooler is mounted well and functioning.

The minimum temperature as measured by HWmonitor should also be accurate.

RageSpell

Honorable
Sep 26, 2015
i7-7700(not the K version) is not a hot processor.
At a true 100c. the processor should shut down.
Nothing measures the temperature directly. It is done by a calculation based on electrical signals.
So the app that gives you the temperature may be suspect.
When you start up the pc, look in the bios. It should have an idle temperature.
That should be in the 10-15c. over ambient range if your cooler is mounted well and functioning.

The minimum temperature as measured by HWmonitor should also be accurate.

Even with HWmonitor, it still shows that core #2 is running at 100 degrees Celsius, but I'm guessing it isn't really running that hot in reality because it would just shut down the processor. I even did a bios reset, and still hot the same reads. My games seemed to be running well too.

It is possible that you have a marginal processor that passes tests at stock speeds.
What are the temperatures of the other cores when #2 is near 100c?
Your chip is probably past warranty otherwise a big difference might qualify for an intel rma.
One possible solution would be to have the chip professionally delidded.
That will let it run cooler.
$40 from silicon lottery:
https://siliconlottery.com/collections/all/products/delid?variant=19733402058838

RageSpell

Honorable
Sep 26, 2015
It is possible that you have a marginal processor that passes tests at stock speeds.
What are the temperatures of the other cores when #2 is near 100c?
Your chip is probably past warranty otherwise a big difference might qualify for an intel rma.
One possible solution would be to have the chip professionally delidded.
That will let it run cooler.
$40 from silicon lottery:
https://siliconlottery.com/collections/all/products/delid?variant=19733402058838

The others are around 50-60 while core 2 is at 100c. It all started after switching motherboards because I would get around 35c idle with a stock Intel cooler. The cooler is for sure making contact with the processor.

That is truly strange.
One possibility is that in the process of switching motherboards you bent a pin in the motherboard socket.
It is very easy to do. If you do not simply drop the cpu into the socket you can cause damage.
If you needed to smoosh the cpu around to get it seated, you likely damaged a pin.
A bent pin is hard to see and it can cause all sorts of strange problems, depending on what the pin controls. A common symptom is the inability to run dual channel ram.
I can't say that a hot core is a symptom I have ever heard of, but it is a possibility.
Take the cooler off and inspect the pins very closely. If you see a bent pin, try to straighten with a needle. Otherwise, the motherboard needs to be replaced.

Solution