Question CPU heat completely off-whack, with seemingly no cause.

Apr 1, 2024
Hi all. I've been having a heating problem with my custom PC for a while. The gist of the problem is that the heat of my CPU gets incredibly high (like, between 85-100°C high) for no apparent reason. I'll have Discord and a couple of Chrome tabs open, or just one app, and my fans start blowing extremely loud, with my performance also lagging. I'll check Task Manager, and displayed performance will be normal, something like 1-4% CPU usage. However, the CPU will get so hot, sometimes it thermal throttles. At one point, I replaced the thermal paste and blew out any dust, and the problem persisted. This continued for a while, and then completely disappeared for over a year for seemingly no reason. I was able to run multiple apps and a game at once with no issues. However, it's recently shown up again. Through testing, here's what I've discovered:

• My AIO seems to work. It makes funny noises sometimes, but I've checked, and at these high temps, both tubes feel like they have water flowing, and one is hot while the other is cooler, but still lukewarm. I've also checked fans, they blow a good amount of cool air out of the top, and the radiator doesn't seem especially hot either.
  • Again, this isn't a result of pushing my PC too hard. This pretty much never happens when I'm doing especially challenging things like running VR games or several applications at once, only at low workloads.
  • Likely not a result of misreadings, as both the area around the CPU and one of the AIO tubes get warm.
Anyone have any idea what's going on? My specs are as follows:

• Ryzen 7 5800X
  • MSI SUPRIM RTX 3070 Ti
  • 32GB 3800mhz Trident Z RAM
  • MSI MPG B550 GAMING PLUS motherboard
  • Lian Li GALAHAD 240mm AIO
Help would be much appreciated!

Apr 1, 2024
PSU: make, model, wattage, age, conditon (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?
PSU: CORSAIR 750w 80+ gold, fully modular, new, got it with the PC in late 2021, seemingly no issues
Drives: A lot. I don't see these being super important, but one is a close-to-full Inland M.2 from my old PC, so since mid-2020, the second is a 1TB also somewhat close-to-full Samsung 980 Pro from late 2021, and the third is a 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD I got in December of last year.