[SOLVED] CPU keeps overheating and shutting down after a few minutes

Jul 24, 2021
Hey everyone,
So this is my first time building a pc, so I mostly picked out parts that were under my budget. My specs are

Motherboard:
MSI B450 GAMING PLUS MAX AM4 AMD B450 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard
SSD: Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 3D2, QLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SSDPEKNW010T8X1
RAM: G.SKILL Aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel XMP 2.0 Memory Kit Model F4-3200C16D-16GIS
GPU: ASUS GeForce RTX 2060 Overclocked 6G GDDR6 Dual-Fan EVO Edition VR Ready HDMI DisplayPort DVI Graphics Card (DUAL-RTX2060-O6G-EVO)
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor with Wraith Prism LED Cooler

PSU: Corsair CX Series 650 Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Modular Power Supply (CP-9020103-NA)
Plus four fans

Just some background, I've been watching some YT videos to help me out with the build. Once I was done I hopped onto the settings and it gave me a pop-up that the CPU was heating up, which caused the PC to shut down each time it reached around 83 C. Not too sure if it's some cable that I plugged in wrong or if something broke. Again, I'm new to this so I'm honestly not too sure if these were the right parts to get.

Hope to hear from someone soon, thank you!

Solution
Hey everyone,
So this is my first time building a pc, so I mostly picked out parts that were under my budget. My specs are

Motherboard:
SSD: Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 3D2, QLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SSDPEKNW010T8X1
RAM: G.SKILL Aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel XMP 2.0 Memory Kit Model F4-3200C16D-16GIS
GPU: ASUS GeForce RTX 2060 Overclocked 6G GDDR6 Dual-Fan EVO Edition VR Ready HDMI DisplayPort DVI Graphics Card (DUAL-RTX2060-O6G-EVO)
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor with Wraith Prism LED Cooler

PSU: Corsair CX...
I dont believe it is causing the issue of your cpu heating up but Ive noticed you have 2 sets of different RAM, it's never a good idea to mix RAM sets. So is your CPU hitting 83 C while idle? Is the wraith prism fan spinning when your pc is powered on?

Hey everyone,

Motherboard:

PSU: Corsair CX Series 650 Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Modular Power Supply (CP-9020103-NA)
Plus four fans

Just some background, I've been watching some YT videos to help me out with the build. Once I was done I hopped onto the settings and it gave me a pop-up that the CPU was heating up, which caused the PC to shut down each time it reached around 83 C. Not too sure if it's some cable that I plugged in wrong or if something broke. Again, I'm new to this so I'm honestly not too sure if these were the right parts to get.

Hope to hear from someone soon, thank you!

Overheating so quickly is almost always related to CPU cooler mounting. Did you remove any stickers or plastic protectors from the cooler or CPU? Double check the CPU cooler mounting...all four screws tightened till the springs are fully compressed.

4 fans is good. It probably wouldn't cause it to overheat so quickly, but how are they arranged? Two in front blowing cool air in with 2 in back blowing out would be good, but it depends on the case.

Where are the fans attached? especially the CPU cooler fan which should be on the motherboard CPU fan header that's near the CPU.

It's probably not causing it to overheat but do a CMOS reset with a battery pull if you didn't already.

Solution
Jul 24, 2021
I dont believe it is causing the issue of your cpu heating up but Ive noticed you have 2 sets of different RAM, it's never a good idea to mix RAM sets. So is your CPU hitting 83 C while idle? Is the wraith prism fan spinning when your pc is powered on?

Yeah, all of the fans run perfectly fine, two are located on the top part of the case, one on the left side and the other on the right side of the case. The CPU fan is on top of the CPU, which is on the motherboard, I did check if there was plastic on it, no there wasn't I did take it off when I installed it. However, my CPU fan isn't screwed in because it doesn't have the option to screw in, instead, it has more of a pin that hooks onto the motherboard so that it doesn't fall off. And, yeah it still reaches above 83 C while idle.

"It's probably not causing it to overheat but do a CMOS reset with a battery pull if you didn't already."

I pulled the battery out and put it back, but it's still shutting down each time I turn it on. I tried instead adding an

GOLDEN FIELD SF240 RGB All-in-One 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler Radiator Water Cooling Cooler System for Intel AMD

but it actually got worse, rather than shutting off after minutes, it shuts off after seconds so I took it off and put the CPU fan I had before. At this point, I might just ask assistance at a PC repair shop,

Yeah, all of the fans run perfectly fine, two are located on the top part of the case, one on the left side and the other on the right side of the case. The CPU fan is on top of the CPU, which is on the motherboard, I did check if there was plastic on it, no there wasn't I did take it off when I installed it. However, my CPU fan isn't screwed in because it doesn't have the option to screw in, instead, it has more of a pin that hooks onto the motherboard so that it doesn't fall off. And, yeah it still reaches above 83 C while idle.
Thing is, those plastic brackets are screwed in. Check that those screws are tight, I've gotten boards with those screws loose. Also make sure both clips are properly attached. It can be difficult and you might think it's taking too much force to tighten the lever but you have to make sure it's tight.

Last edited:
Reactions: kurdtnz
Jul 24, 2021
I love you all. I was so close to going to a PC repair shop on Monday.
The CPU fan wasn't clipped properly, I think it's clipped correctly now because before it was sort of hanging off from the hook of the motherboard, and, well, now it's stuck, not literally, but it's onto the CPU. Now the temperature of the CPU is at 55 C, which I'm not sure is the right temperature it should be at, but it's not shutting off anymore.

Thank you all, and hope you guys have a great life!

I love you all. I was so close to going to a PC repair shop on Monday.
The CPU fan wasn't clipped properly, I think it's clipped correctly now because before it was sort of hanging off from the hook of the motherboard, and, well, now it's stuck, not literally, but it's onto the CPU. Now the temperature of the CPU is at 55 C, which I'm not sure is the right temperature it should be at, but it's not shutting off anymore.

Thank you all, and hope you guys have a great life!
55C is pretty much right for 'idle'. The better test now is with heavy all-core processing like Cinebench.