Question CPU overheats at boot!!

Feb 24, 2021
I was just looking at the temperature of CPU in the bios, it reaches 70 celcius in about 30 seconds and then pc shuts down. (Note- i just turned on the pc, opened bios and CPU overheated in just 30 seconds). Then it automatically restarts and again shuts down a second later.
I have checked everything, from reapplying thermal paste to checking for any shorts among the pins of the processor slot (Processor is Core2Duo E series processor). I know that processor is correct as it can run on other motherboard. Note- both motherboards came with E-Series processor. Power supply also works correctly. Can anyone please share any other problem that could have made the processor overheated?? Note- I have not OC the processor.

Feb 24, 2021
Perhaps we should discuss what exact mainboard (specific manufacturer model, revision, etc.) this CPU is installed in/compatibility/ certification/validation for that CPU, etc.?

Thanks for you reply. PC configuration is
Biostar G41D3+ Ver. 6.3
Conqur 2GB DDR3 Ram
Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz
400W PSU (I have tested with both 20-pin and 24-pin power cable)
Intel Integrated Graphics 82g41

It (E7500) is listed as supported, so the next concern would be BIOS version support....

During the 30 seconds that it works, can you gather the current BIOS version/date? (Although if it were a BIOS issue, you'd likely need a CPU supported by current BIOS to be able to flash it to the most recent...; you'd not want to try that in it's current 'shutting off after 30 seconds condition)

Are you clock and multiplier values adjustable on that board? Just to see if it were stable at lower clock speeds, say 10-13x multiplier...; if perfectly stable 60 minutes in BIOS at lower clocks, you might then be able to risk flashing the BIOS, unless you have access to an earlier compatible socket 775 CPU)

BIOS instructions link below....
https://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=571#download

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021
It (E7500) is listed as supported, so the next concern would be BIOS version support....

During the 30 seconds that it works, can you gather the current BIOS version/date? (Although if it were a BIOS issue, you'd likely need a CPU supported by current BIOS to be able to flash it to the most recent...; you'd not want to try that in it's current 'shutting off after 30 seconds condition)

Are you clock and multiplier values adjustable on that board? Just to see if it were stable at lower clock speeds, say 10-13x multiplier...; if perfectly stable 60 minutes in BIOS at lower clocks, you might then be able to risk flashing the BIOS, unless you have access to an earlier compatible socket 775 CPU)

BIOS instructions link below....
https://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=571#download
I reduced the CPU freq. Min and Max was 100 and 600. I set it to 110.
BIOS version is up to date 8/3/2011 for ver 6.3.
But the problem now is IT DOES NOT START!! Something happened and now PC does not start at all. I have checked all connections, checked the switches, tried to run only with power cable with not other cables connected, changed power supply. It has happened before also but later it automatically started. But now nothing is happening. I`ll try to start it and update about the conditions.
UPDATE:-
PC has started but still it shuts down. This time it turned off at 45 degrees only. Also it runs in a cycle of turning on and off. Each time cycle happens, the time of pc running reduces.

Last edited:

emy12

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
Speaking about high temps. I have Xeon E3 1231 V3, was running fine with low temps. Today I had some MP4 files to convert, I was stunned when I saw during the encoding process the temps reached 100 degrees, I opened the case, the cooler (arctic freezer 13), it looked cleaned as new, no dust whatsoever, the only thing I noticed, the Cooler was loose, even the bottom heatsink bracket was loose, I took it apart, cleaned the old paste, tighten the loosen parts, put back all together, surprisingly the temps under the same encoding went from 90-100 degrees to 50-60, idle 30 degrees. I do not know how the heatsink ended up loosen. Maybe i was to caution in terms of the screws tightening, were not tight enough & the speed of the fan made it worse.

Feb 24, 2021
Speaking about high temps. I have Xeon E3 1231 V3, was running fine with low temps. Today I had some MP4 files to convert, I was stunned when I saw during the encoding process the temps reached 100 degrees, I opened the case, the cooler (arctic freezer 13), it looked cleaned as new, no dust whatsoever, the only thing I noticed, the Cooler was loose, even the bottom heatsink bracket was loose, I took it apart, cleaned the old paste, tighten the loosen parts, put back all together, surprisingly the temps under the same encoding went from 90-100 degrees to 50-60, idle 30 degrees. I do not know how the heatsink ended up loosen. Maybe i was to caution in terms of the screws tightening, were not tight enough & the speed of the fan made it worse.
Thanks for your resonse. The fan had died (ie. it was not spinning as fast as it shove in bios.) I changed the fan, the temp remained between 40 and 50. I was able to boot up Ubuntu, open chrome but after few minutes in chrome, it shutdown automatically. This time I also noticed that big 1 inch intel chip with a golden triangle on one corner (Don`t know the name) was waaaay to hot. But just leave it. I am not going to look at this pc for a long time. I worked four days to repair it. Its taking a lot of time and its still not working. For the time being, I am using my old pc.