[SOLVED] CPU randomly spikes to 100% while playing games

DarkPassanger47

Reputable
Jul 9, 2019
Hi guys, I hope y'all doing awesome. I'm having this weird problem on my PC whenever i play games. I've noticed that sudden freezes/stutters happens every now and then (specially when it's loading a new area). So i opened MSI and checked temps and CPU/GPU usage, with that I've noticed that CPU usage spikes to 100% randomly (at first i thought it was a CPU bottleneck problem, but since SIFU was the gaming i was testing that shouldn't be a problem.). The CPU/GPU temps were fine, any ideas on what could be causing this ?. Here's my specs :
CPU : Intel Xeon e5 2689
GPU: GTX 1660
RAM : 16gb ddr3, 2 HDDS : 500 gb (primary one with the OS), 1 TB (secondary one).

Things i tried to do to solve the problem :

Scanned With Malware Bytes to see if any virus were found (none were founded)

Replaced CPU thermal paste

Solution
Chances are the issue is focused on those old drives. You may want to consider upgrading to a high capacity SSD and cleaning up those drives.

Often times when a HDD is nearing full capacity 90%+ it can cause issues as the drive does not have enough room self clean, defrag or use virtual memory.

Changing the boot drive to an SSD and maybe swapping in a cheap 2-4TB storage drive should give you all the space you need and speed up that PC considerably.

Having your most commonly played video games on the SSD should also increase performance and make your computer perform better than ever.

DarkPassanger47

Reputable
Jul 9, 2019
How full are the hard drives? Ssd or regular?
Thank you very much for the reply. They are regular one's, and both are almost full. 35 gb of free space on the 500 gb one, and 50 gb on the secondary one.
It's been a while since I've formatted the HDDs (about 3 years to be precise). Maybe doing a fresh Win10 install could solve the problem ?

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
Chances are the issue is focused on those old drives. You may want to consider upgrading to a high capacity SSD and cleaning up those drives.

Often times when a HDD is nearing full capacity 90%+ it can cause issues as the drive does not have enough room self clean, defrag or use virtual memory.

Changing the boot drive to an SSD and maybe swapping in a cheap 2-4TB storage drive should give you all the space you need and speed up that PC considerably.

Having your most commonly played video games on the SSD should also increase performance and make your computer perform better than ever.

Last edited:
Solution