[SOLVED] CPU recommendation?

blackkeys1098

Honorable
Aug 10, 2016
I have a Asus Z170 pro gaming mobo currently running an I5-6500 3.2 ghz cpu. I know the mobo is dated but the entire rig has ran like a champ for the better part of a decade.

I want to upgrade the cpu to see if I can get a few more years out of it before gutting it and starting over with a new motherboard; what's my best cpu option for my Z170 PG? I7-7700? It's been a while since I've shopped parts and I don't quite remember what's compatible.

Lafong

Respectable
Can you quantify what it would take to disappoint you after you change CPUs to whatever the maximum is? Happy with 15% improvement on a benchmark? Your current setup can do xyz in 9 minutes and you would be happy with 7 minutes for the same task?

I'm kinda in the same spot as you. I have a 6600K and have decided NOT to upgrade the CPU, but to get a new current generation motherboard and CPU combination.

I have a Asus Z170 pro gaming mobo currently running an I5-6500 3.2 ghz cpu. I know the mobo is dated but the entire rig has ran like a champ for the better part of a decade.

I want to upgrade the cpu to see if I can get a few more years out of it before gutting it and starting over with a new motherboard; what's my best cpu option for my Z170 PG? I7-7700? It's been a while since I've shopped parts and I don't quite remember what's compatible.

7700k might need a new psu.

blackkeys1098

Honorable
Aug 10, 2016
Can you quantify what it would take to disappoint you after you change CPUs to whatever the maximum is? Happy with 15% improvement on a benchmark? Your current setup can do xyz in 9 minutes and you would be happy with 7 minutes for the same task?

I'm kinda in the same spot as you. I have a 6600K and have decided NOT to upgrade the CPU, but to get a new current generation motherboard and CPU combination.
I was thinking that too but what mobo/cpu combo is going to give me the most bang for my buck?

ASK THE COMMUNITY