blackkeys1098

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2016
I have a Asus Z170 pro gaming mobo currently running an I5-6500 3.2 ghz cpu. I know the mobo is dated but the entire rig has ran like a champ for the better part of a decade.

I want to upgrade the cpu to see if I can get a few more years out of it before gutting it and starting over with a new motherboard; what's my best cpu option for my Z170 PG? I7-7700? It's been a while since I've shopped parts and I don't quite remember what's compatible.

Solution
I7 7700k would be the maximum compatibile once you update the bios.

However they are very expensive to the point it might make more sense to get something like an i5 10400 and board instead.
Can you quantify what it would take to disappoint you after you change CPUs to whatever the maximum is? Happy with 15% improvement on a benchmark? Your current setup can do xyz in 9 minutes and you would be happy with 7 minutes for the same task?

I'm kinda in the same spot as you. I have a 6600K and have decided NOT to upgrade the CPU, but to get a new current generation motherboard and CPU combination.

I have a Asus Z170 pro gaming mobo currently running an I5-6500 3.2 ghz cpu. I know the mobo is dated but the entire rig has ran like a champ for the better part of a decade.

I want to upgrade the cpu to see if I can get a few more years out of it before gutting it and starting over with a new motherboard; what's my best cpu option for my Z170 PG? I7-7700? It's been a while since I've shopped parts and I don't quite remember what's compatible.

7700k might need a new psu.

blackkeys1098

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2016
Can you quantify what it would take to disappoint you after you change CPUs to whatever the maximum is? Happy with 15% improvement on a benchmark? Your current setup can do xyz in 9 minutes and you would be happy with 7 minutes for the same task?

I'm kinda in the same spot as you. I have a 6600K and have decided NOT to upgrade the CPU, but to get a new current generation motherboard and CPU combination.

I was thinking that too but what mobo/cpu combo is going to give me the most bang for my buck?