[SOLVED] CPU running really hot but I have a liquid cooler installed correctly

DerpyUnlimited

Reputable
Apr 13, 2017
I followed the installation correctly but my temps while browsing the web and nothing else are around 60-75 C. Anyone have any suggestions?

specs:
cpu: i7 9700k
cooler: Corsair H100i v2
mobo: Asus Prime Z390-P
16GB RAM
gpu: GTX 1060

Solution
Look at HWMonitor, and see what core clock speeds, percentage of CPU load, and temps are shown at true 'idle', which really only occurs when the processor ramps down to 800 MHz or so (if in Balanced mode for a power plan)....(YOu could be just reading a forum, but, if WIndows is doing file indexing and a virus scan and WIndows updates in the background, clock speeds could be bouncing around at 2000-3500 Mhz, typically; clock speeds change several times per second...

If you have assorted background tasks occurring, which is normal, anything that triggers a load will cause spikes in clock speed and temp in lock step with each other...
What really matters is what temps you hit at full load. As long as it can handle that without getting too hot. You can fiddle with the fan curve for more aggressive cooling at lower temps. So that it remains cooler at low loads. As some motherboard manufacturers use a gentle curve until temps get high. Then quickly ramp up fan speeds over a certain temperature threshold.

Your motherboard should have a utility for custom fan speeds. The BIOS may also have cooling policies you can set like quiet and high. As does Windows have an active and passive cooling policy in power management.

DerpyUnlimited

Reputable
Apr 13, 2017
What really matters is what temps you hit at full load. As long as it can handle that without getting too hot. You can fiddle with the fan curve for more aggressive cooling at lower temps. So that it remains cooler at low loads. As some motherboard manufacturers use a gentle curve until temps get high. Then quickly ramp up fan speeds over a certain temperature threshold.

Your motherboard should have a utility for custom fan speeds. The BIOS may also have cooling policies you can set like quiet and high. As does Windows have an active and passive cooling policy in power management.

I've looked at the Q-Fan setup and turning the liquid cooler fans up to 100 didn't make an audible or performance difference.

Look at HWMonitor, and see what core clock speeds, percentage of CPU load, and temps are shown at true 'idle', which really only occurs when the processor ramps down to 800 MHz or so (if in Balanced mode for a power plan)....(YOu could be just reading a forum, but, if WIndows is doing file indexing and a virus scan and WIndows updates in the background, clock speeds could be bouncing around at 2000-3500 Mhz, typically; clock speeds change several times per second...

If you have assorted background tasks occurring, which is normal, anything that triggers a load will cause spikes in clock speed and temp in lock step with each other...

Reactions: CompuTronix
Solution

TRENDING THREADS