Question cpu stuck on base speed

Jun 7, 2024
Hi folks,
i'm trying to maximize the performance of my laptop, but it seems i might be doing something wrong or missing something.
These are my laptop specs:
  • intel i7 13620H
  • # of Cores:10
  • # of Threads:16
  • Processor Base Frequency:2400 MHz
  • Current Voltage:8.
  • Level 2 Cache:9728 Kb
  • Level 3 Cache:24576 Kb
these are my settings:
min\ max processors state = 100%
intelppm = 3
vt-d - disabled
all drivers are up to date
no relevant background services active
using throttlestop for disabling throttle
i'm running a deep learning training model in python, using multiprocessing,

and yet - cpu utilization is 100% but speed is 2.4ghz as of base speed. and this machine can go up to 4.7-4.9 maximum.

pls help...

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
Hi folks,
i'm trying to maximize the performance of my laptop, but it seems i might be doing something wrong or missing something.
These are my laptop specs:
  • intel i7 13620H
  • # of Cores:10
  • # of Threads:16
  • Processor Base Frequency:2400 MHz
  • Current Voltage:8.
  • Level 2 Cache:9728 Kb
  • Level 3 Cache:24576 Kb
these are my settings:
min\ max processors state = 100%
intelppm = 3
vt-d - disabled
all drivers are up to date
no relevant background services active
using throttlestop for disabling throttle
i'm running a deep learning training model in python, using multiprocessing,

and yet - cpu utilization is 100% but speed is 2.4ghz as of base speed. and this machine can go up to 4.7-4.9 maximum.

pls help...
4.9 Ghz would be with a single thread. If you are using 16 threads, then your CPU probably does get limited to the base clock speed. It is a laptop, not a desktop.

The "Utilization" metric in Task Manager is misleading. It's some weird combination of actual CPU utilization and clock speed.

8/20 threads should be 40%. I don't think enough of the CPU is being used to add another 20%.
image.png

Either way, the behavior is expected: the maximum CPU clock speed is only for 1-2 core workloads.

Jun 7, 2024
You said your processor utilization was 100%. That would require more than 4 threads.
Ok, sorry, I'll explain.
Process utilization: 100%
16 python services threads
But only 4 of them are actually working, and each consume roughly 25% of the total utilization.
Even if i limit the services threads to only 4, and not 16, the result/ behavior is the same

Jun 7, 2024
The "Utilization" metric in Task Manager is misleading. It's some weird combination of actual CPU utilization and clock speed.

8/20 threads should be 40%. I don't think enough of the CPU is being used to add another 20%.
image.png

Either way, the behavior is expected: the maximum CPU clock speed is only for 1-2 core workloads.
Hi hino, and tnx for the reply.
Si, if I'm doing a test, for instance using the xtu or the throttlestop, and see a high cpu utilization, it is because it is done only on one process/ thread?

Moving to multiprocessing - these high turbo speeds become irrelevant?

Si, if I'm doing a test, for instance using the xtu or the throttlestop, and see a high cpu utilization, it is because it is done only on one process/ thread?
Not necessarily. If you want a more accurate number, HWiNFO will give you that. Otherwise you can monitor the per-thread utilization in Task Manager and make an eye ball guess.

Moving to multiprocessing - these high turbo speeds become irrelevant?
Yes. If you want the long winded explanation:
Most CPUs are designed with a power limit in mind, especially with laptops. Let's say you have a 8-core CPU with a power limit of 80W. Each CPU core by itself can go up to some maximum speed, but they need 20W to do it. So the CPU can comfortably push 4 cores up to the maximum speed. But once you start adding another core, then it no longer has the power budget to push all of the working cores to the maximum speed, but it tries to distribute the power evenly. So with 5 cores, each core only gets 16W to play with. Eventually you reach a point where only 10W can be used per core so the CPU can remain in its 80W power limit.

Jun 7, 2024
Not necessarily. If you want a more accurate number, HWiNFO will give you that. Otherwise you can monitor the per-thread utilization in Task Manager and make an eye ball guess.

Yes. If you want the long winded explanation:
Most CPUs are designed with a power limit in mind, especially with laptops. Let's say you have a 8-core CPU with a power limit of 80W. Each CPU core by itself can go up to some maximum speed, but they need 20W to do it. So the CPU can comfortably push 4 cores up to the maximum speed. But once you start adding another core, then it no longer has the power budget to push all of the working cores to the maximum speed, but it tries to distribute the power evenly. So with 5 cores, each core only gets 16W to play with. Eventually you reach a point where only 10W can be used per core so the CPU can remain in its 80W power limit.
Well, every day we learn a new thing..
I understand now hino, thank you for that!

Cheers all

Your CPU should be running faster than its base speed. Post screenshots of the ThrottleStop FIVR and TPL windows so I can see your settings. Post a screenshot of the main ThrottleStop screen with Limit Reasons open while your CPU is loaded and running at the base speed. There might be some clues in that data.

Current Voltage:8
What setting is that? If the current limit is set too low the CPU will throttle.

It is normal for an Intel CPU to slow down when fully loaded. A 13620H should still be using some turbo boost as long as it is not overheating.

Jun 7, 2024
Your CPU should be running faster than its base speed. Post screenshots of the ThrottleStop FIVR and TPL windows so I can see your settings. Post a screenshot of the main ThrottleStop screen with Limit Reasons open while your CPU is loaded and running at the base speed. There might be some clues in that data.

What setting is that? If the current limit is set too low the CPU will throttle.

It is normal for an Intel CPU to slow down when fully loaded. A 13620H should still be using some turbo boost as long as it is not overheating.
hi there webb,
tnx for the reply.

to be honset, this is the first time im encountring this problem - which i cannot upload nor share photos in a forum :)
anyhow, here is a link with the screenshots:

it will be great to get some insights.

cheers mate!

i cannot upload nor share photos
Welcome to Tom's Forum. Hosting images costs money so they wisely force you to host images elsewhere.

Look at the Limit Reasons window. What box is glowing red? What is the CPU temperature? A CPU cannot deliver maximum performance when it is overheating and thermal throttling.

Many modern laptops have inadequate cooling. If you are ever ambitious, try replacing the thermal paste with Honeywell PTM 7950. That might help.

hi there webb,
tnx for the reply.

to be honset, this is the first time im encountring this problem - which i cannot upload nor share photos in a forum :)
anyhow, here is a link with the screenshots:

it will be great to get some insights.

cheers mate!
Looking at the third screenshot in the image set, particularly at Throttle Stop, I still don't see any actual problem.
  • The app is reporting a clock speed of 2.6Ghz based on the multiplier times base clock. So it's still technically boosting
  • The package power consumption is reported to be 35W, which lines up with the "Minimum Assured Power" spec listed on Intel's site.
A combination of these two tells me the CPU isn't throttling in some way due to inadequate cooling. If it was throttling, then I'd expect the package power consumption to drop below 35W because power consumption directly correlates to heat output. It's also important to note that Intel lists two different power specs, one of them for short term bursts and another for long term averages. I'd worry more about making sure the long term average spec isn't being deviated from because this is supposed to be the guaranteed baseline performance you should get out of the processor.

Now could the processor do better with better cooling? Sure. But those screenshots to me tells me it's working within spec.

Jun 7, 2024
Welcome to Tom's Forum. Hosting images costs money so they wisely force you to host images elsewhere.

Look at the Limit Reasons window. What box is glowing red? What is the CPU temperature? A CPU cannot deliver maximum performance when it is overheating and thermal throttling.

Many modern laptops have inadequate cooling. If you are ever ambitious, try replacing the thermal paste with Honeywell PTM 7950. That might help.
Thank you webb! 😉

Jun 7, 2024
Looking at the third screenshot in the image set, particularly at Throttle Stop, I still don't see any actual problem.
  • The app is reporting a clock speed of 2.6Ghz based on the multiplier times base clock. So it's still technically boosting
  • The package power consumption is reported to be 35W, which lines up with the "Minimum Assured Power" spec listed on Intel's site.
A combination of these two tells me the CPU isn't throttling in some way due to inadequate cooling. If it was throttling, then I'd expect the package power consumption to drop below 35W because power consumption directly correlates to heat output. It's also important to note that Intel lists two different power specs, one of them for short term bursts and another for long term averages. I'd worry more about making sure the long term average spec isn't being deviated from because this is supposed to be the guaranteed baseline performance you should get out of the processor.

Now could the processor do better with better cooling? Sure. But those screenshots to me tells me it's working within spec.
Hi hino, and tnx for the insights!
Well, i know it's not throttling, it took me some plays to get it :), but i thought also that the speed needs to get higher as well.
I'm guessing when all cores and threads are in almost full utilization, there is no room for more growth...

Cheers mate!

A combination of these two tells me the CPU isn't throttling in some way due to inadequate cooling.
Look at the ThrottleStop screenshot. Of course the CPU is thermal throttling because of inadequate cooling.

Vr8S7ZN.png

When a box is glowing red under the CORE column of Limit Reasons, the CPU is thermal throttling. The CPU is being slowed down because it has reached the maximum temperature, 95°C, that was set by the laptop manufacturer. When throttling is in progress, the CPU will constantly bounce back and forth between 94°C and 95°C. When a core reaches 95°C, the CPU slows down. When the temperature gets back to 94°C, it speeds back up. This is how Intel thermal throttling works. By constantly adjusting the CPU speed hundreds of times per second, the CPU is able to maintain itself right at the thermal throttling temperature, rarely exceeding it.

Performance is being reduced during thermal throttling. If cooling is improved, the CPU will be able to run much faster.

i know it's not throttling
Your computer is definitely thermal throttling. There is no way to argue against what ThrottleStop is showing you.

Look at the ThrottleStop screenshot. Of course the CPU is thermal throttling because of inadequate cooling.

Vr8S7ZN.png

When a box is glowing red under the CORE column of Limit Reasons, the CPU is thermal throttling. The CPU is being slowed down because it has reached the maximum temperature, 95°C, that was set by the laptop manufacturer. When throttling is in progress, the CPU will constantly bounce back and forth between 94°C and 95°C. When a core reaches 95°C, the CPU slows down. When the temperature gets back to 94°C, it speeds back up. This is how Intel thermal throttling works. By constantly adjusting the CPU speed hundreds of times per second, the CPU is able to maintain itself right at the thermal throttling temperature, rarely exceeding it.

Performance is being reduced during thermal throttling. If cooling is improved, the CPU will be able to run much faster.

Your computer is definitely thermal throttling. There is no way to argue against what ThrottleStop is showing you.
However it's still working within the minimum specifications that Intel outlines. I don't call thermal throttling a problem unless the system can't maintain minimum specifications. Besides, both AMD and Intel have shifted their processors to hit the thermal ceiling first. This kind of dampens the emergency effect that thermal throttling once had.

So sure, you could say this is thermal throttling, but it's not the kind that warrants a "stop everything and fix something"