CPU Stuck to Heat Sink - How can I remove?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tizzyloucat

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
I removed a heat sink from a MOBO and the CPU is stuck to the bottom. Can anyone suggest how I can remove the CPU from the heat sink without damaging the pins? :hello:

Solution
Thermal paste, i.e.

http://arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appmeth/int/vl/intel_app_method_vertical_line_v1.1.pdf

Thermal compound can easily be removed from hardware using the proper cleaners and tools: For general clean up, a cloth or paper towel will work well. Intricate cleaning can be accomplished with Q-tip swabs. An old toothbrush can often get the compound out of crevices that other tools cannot reach. Again, use ArctiClean 1 and 2 or high-purity isopropyl alcohol

or thermal epoxy / adhesive, i.e.

http://arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_thermal_adhesive.htm

CAUTION!
Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive is a permanent adhesive. Components you attach with Arctic Silver Thermal...

Hair dryer.

If one of those is not handy, bake it in the oven at 350 until the juices run clear :D

(if your warm setting is in the range of 150 degrees or so you should be safe)

Do not listen to wisecracker...Don't bake the processor in the oven

Use a hair dryer but be careful not to overheat the processor.Do it for a couple seconds at a time, don't hold it on it directly.Then try to rotate it again.Repeat as needed.

Is the proccessor stuck in the mobo socket or on the heatsink?

Try heating it up with the hair dryer.It will make it moist.But like i said be careful because the procesor will overheat.Do it in small increments.

Or you can soak it in warm water or just water.As long as theirs no electricity going to the chip then it won't short out.Just make sure it's fully dry before you use it.

Thermal paste, i.e.

http://arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appmeth/int/vl/intel_app_method_vertical_line_v1.1.pdf

Thermal compound can easily be removed from hardware using the proper cleaners and tools: For general clean up, a cloth or paper towel will work well. Intricate cleaning can be accomplished with Q-tip swabs. An old toothbrush can often get the compound out of crevices that other tools cannot reach. Again, use ArctiClean 1 and 2 or high-purity isopropyl alcohol

or thermal epoxy / adhesive, i.e.

http://arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_thermal_adhesive.htm

CAUTION!
Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive is a permanent adhesive. Components you attach with Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive will stay attached forever.

Solution

tizzyloucat

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
All of the suggestions were excellent and it was hard to choose the best one; however, I bit the bullet and ordered the Artic Silver Cleaner from New Egg. Thanks to all of you for your help!!

The cleaner they have is the same thing as rubbing alcohol.

"Again, use ArctiClean 1 and 2 or high-purity isopropyl alcohol"

What you bought is just some paste remover,thats not gonna help you remove the chip from the heatsink it's gonna help clean the thermal paste up.

I think your still gonna have trouble getting it off.Just dunk it in a bowl of %90 acohol.

tizzyloucat

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
I bought the Artic Clean 1 and 2 from New Egg. I will try the alcohol in the bowl before the Artic Clean gets here. Do you think I should put a pad under the pins to protect them? I still have the little black sponge like pad that came with the CPU. I just don't want to do anything to destroy the CPU. I don't want any more bent pins. I'm going to give it a try with the alcohol tomorrow and will post the results.

@pjmelect he's saying theirs a problem with the mobo and it won't boot.Thats why he can't do that.

I don't want anymore bent pins?You bent them or their bent?

Their should be no bent pins.All you do is set the heatsink + processor into the isopropyl alcohol and let it sit.Within minutes the isopropyl alcohol will start to eat away at the thermal paste like paraniahs.

The thing your buying from Artic Silver is the exact same as isopropyl alcohol
it's just has the Artic Silver logo on it.

tizzyloucat

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011

With the heatsink still attached to the CPU how can I put it in the socket and run a full load. I won't be able to lock it down. Will I?

jb6684

Distinguished
Any body else wonder why we have a CPU stuck to the heat sink and its NOT still on the motherboard????

You should Not release the lever on the CPU socket until after the heat sink is free & clear of the processor ............ (don't think that's even possible on an Intel. And the guy does mention "pins' so assume it's an AMD chip)

Release the clip that connect the heat sink to the socket assembly. Then gently rotate the heat sink back & forth. Then lift off the heat sink. If your paste has turned to concrete try the same process while applying a bit of hair dryer heat (though I've never needed this step). Then lift heat sink free.

And Finally, lift the lever on the CPU socket itself to release the CPU from the motherboard.....

""""
I removed a heat sink from a MOBO and the CPU is stuck to the bottom. Can anyone suggest how I can remove the CPU from the heat sink without damaging the pins? :hello:
""""""

mpatrickjr

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
I'm checking this thread because I just pulled a cpu from a motherboard while
trying to get the heatsink only off. I didn't realize the cpu was "glued" to the
heatsink, so I just pulled firmly (arthritic fingers only) up on the heatsink, and
the cpu popped right out of the socket without using the locking lever. Now
I face the problem of putting the cpu in another mobo so I have to get the
cpu and heatsink separated. Since the cpu was warm (I'd just turned the
system off) I don't think more heat will help. I'm going to try levering one
whole side of the cpu with some kind of flat plastic strip.

Status
Not open for further replies.