[SOLVED] CPU Temp spikes in idle/mid-low load

BlazingSword

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014
Hello Forum,
I recently "finished" (still waiting for new ram kit to arrive) a major upgrade for my build and I've been noticing extreme temp spikes without much CPU usage % (meaning during these spikes, usage percents don't go up).
This is rather concerning because temps go way higher than they reach during 10min cinebench multi-core benchmark,(~71c during this benchmark) these spikes reach 100c (HWiNFO even detects core thermal throttling and core critical temperature) for maybe a couple seconds at most, my radiator fans kick in immediately and shortly after that temps go back down to idle temps range which is about 34c to 40c.

My "mid-low load" habits usually only include programs like Opera GX, Wallpaper Engine, Discord and Bluestacks App Player running and this usually means ~45 to 50c at most as well as <15% reported CPU usage. BIOS settings are all Asus motherboard defaults except for XMP (2x8GB 3000Mhz Cl16), VCore is constantly changing (HWiNFO reports minimum 0.702v, maximum 1.350v, avg 1.26v) and Clocks reach 4,888Mhz for P-cores and 3,790Mhz for E-cores.
GPU has no temp issues even considering fan configuration.

My PC's components are:
i7 12700k, all Asus default settings, no AI overclocking
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 ARGB (Top Radiator 3 fans intake)
RTX 3080 Ti, Asus TUF
Asus ROG STRIX Z690-A GAMING WIFI
DDR4 Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8GB 3000Mhz Cl16 (Waiting on DDR4 Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 2x16GB 3600MHz Cl16)
Seasonic Focus Gold 850W
Lian Li O11 Dynamic Razer Case (3 Side fans Exhaust, 2 Fans bottom as intake)

Last edited:
Solution
What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? As for your cooler, can you check to see if the mounting of the cooling block and the CPU's IHS is proper? Often times an improper mount can cause anomalies in temps.

What OS are you working with? If Windows 10, please mention the version(not edition) of the OS.
My problem might be fixed since I haven't got another temp spike.
BIOS version is 0404 x64 (Seems like it's not available in the product page),
uQN0jnh.jpeg

I already rechecked the cooler and re-mounted it just in case, changing thermal paste and everything. I also had a feeling that I had applied too little thermal paste and since i changed it and applied more I haven't got...

Lutfij

Titan
What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? As for your cooler, can you check to see if the mounting of the cooling block and the CPU's IHS is proper? Often times an improper mount can cause anomalies in temps.

What OS are you working with? If Windows 10, please mention the version(not edition) of the OS.

BlazingSword

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014

My problem might be fixed since I haven't got another temp spike.
BIOS version is 0404 x64 (Seems like it's not available in the product page),
uQN0jnh.jpeg

I already rechecked the cooler and re-mounted it just in case, changing thermal paste and everything. I also had a feeling that I had applied too little thermal paste and since i changed it and applied more I haven't got another temp spike, but then again this problem began not since I first ran this build, but a couple days after (It's been about a week running it) so I'm on the lookout in case it happens again.
I'm running windows 11 Version 10.0.22000 Build 22000

Solution

TRENDING THREADS