Jan 25, 2022
Hello guys,
I’ve just build a pc with specs:

CPU: Amd ryzen 9 5950x
GPU: RTX 3060ti
Ram: 32gb Corsair
Motherboard: AsRock x570 phantom gaming-itx/tb3,
Case: Lian Li Q58

Just build this PC, and im seeing some high temp.

When idling the CPU is around 35-40ºc. When playing games like Escape From Tarkov, BF2042 or even Risk of Rain 2 it goes to around 90ºc
I ran 3Dmark test for 8 hours, and it doesn't shutdown - so thats good???. HWInfo: View: https://i.imgur.com/z3SWKqF.jpg

Been thinking of undervolting, but im not quite sure how to do it. Would this be the best solution?
I've been looking at BIOS but not sure what to do ... kinda of new to undervolting ... BIOS: View: https://i.imgur.com/jnJAasU.jpg

I can’t figure out what is the problem, or if it is a problem? Can anyone help me please?
Thanks

What cooling are you using? You'd need at least 280mm AIO or bigger. Also some grizzly kryonaut TP.
To undervolt:
Precision Boost Overdrive: Motherboard
Then the Curve Optimizer should appear
Set undervolt, all cores, try 15.
(Depends on the BIOS I'm on 3.60 changes were made to 4.20)

Edit: Why is your Infinity Fabric Clock at 1067 mhz? It usually runs at 1/2 the Ram speed which means your RAM is running at 2133Mhz. You may want to enable XMP mode for your RAM.

Last edited:
Reactions: kurdtnz
Jan 25, 2022
What cooling are you using? You'd need at least 280mm AIO or bigger. Also some grizzly kryonaut TP.
To undervolt:
Precision Boost Overdrive: Motherboard
Then the Curve Optimizer should appear
Set undervolt, all cores, try 15.
(Depends on the BIOS I'm on 3.60 changes were made to 4.20)

Edit: Why is your Infinity Fabric Clock at 1067 mhz? It usually runs at 1/2 the Ram speed which means your RAM is running at 2133Mhz. You may want to enable XMP mode for your RAM.
Cooler is Noctua NH-L12 Ghost S1 edition in a Lian Li Q58 Case - sorry for being a noob, but what is a 280mm AIO?

As you can see in the picture, i cant find anything like "Curve Optimizer" options.. Do i need to update my motherboard? https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X570 Phantom Gaming-ITXTB3/index.de.asp#BIOS

Jan 25, 2022
Jan 25, 2022
Why such a small pc case?
This severely limits cooling options.

What PSU are you using? With ATX form factor PSU only 120mm radiator fits into that case.
With SFX form factor PSU - up to 280mm radiator fits.
I knew the case would limit cooling options, but I dont have much space where i live.

Its an SF750 Corsair SFX PSU

Cooler is Noctua NH-L12 Ghost S1 edition in a Lian Li Q58 Case - sorry for being a noob, but what is a 280mm AIO?

As you can see in the picture, i cant find anything like "Curve Optimizer" options.. Do i need to update my motherboard? https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X570 Phantom Gaming-ITXTB3/index.de.asp#BIOS
Your last picture in initial post, you were in Advanced\AMD Overclocking\Accept\Precision Boost Overdrive
You have Precision Boost Overdrive : Advanced -> Change that to Motherboard
Additional settings will pop up somewhere in the middle of that. You should find Curve Optimizer there.

Also Turn on XMP for your RAM if you have it. 2133mhz is extremely slow.

I can’t figure out what is the problem, or if it is a problem? Can anyone help me please?
Thanks
First is to understand that there is no problem...it's normal, expected and by design for 5950's to push up towards 90C in use:

That said: it's still desireable to use better cooling and try to keep it in the lower 80's so that it operates with better performance.

Only undervolt using the curve optimizer.

But ultimately if your case and cooling isn't adequate it will push towards 90C as it's designed to even with curve optimizer.

Jan 25, 2022
First is to understand that there is no problem...it's normal, expected and by design for 5950's to push up towards 90C in use:

That said: it's still desireable to use better cooling and try to keep it in the lower 80's so that it operates with better performance.

Only undervolt using the curve optimizer.

But ultimately if your case and cooling isn't adequate it will push towards 90C as it's designed to even with curve optimizer.

Well that article calms me down a bit.

Would you be able to tell me how to access the curve optimizer? As you can see in my last picture its not accessable to me.
My AsRock x570 itx motherboard runs on BIOS 2.71 - could that be why?

Jan 25, 2022
Your last picture in initial post, you were in Advanced\AMD Overclocking\Accept\Precision Boost Overdrive
You have Precision Boost Overdrive : Advanced -> Change that to Motherboard
Additional settings will pop up somewhere in the middle of that. You should find Curve Optimizer there.

Also Turn on XMP for your RAM if you have it. 2133mhz is extremely slow.

I cant change Advanced to Motherboard, only to Auto, Manual or Disabled.
I can change PBO limit to Motherboard, but that dosn't make additional settings pop up.

I cant change Advanced to Motherboard, only to Auto, Manual or Disabled.
I can change PBO limit to Motherboard, but that dosn't make additional settings pop up.

Maybe, BIOS update wouldn't hurt.

CPU will not self destruct at 90, it will just throttle and run at lower speeds/power. But it's optimal to keep the temps as low as possible.

Your main issue is the RAM. Faster RAM affects AMD CPUs by a lot.

Disregard the numbers in the pic (I'm running 5600x with PBO2) but that's where your Curve Optimizer should be.

Edit: https://hothardware.com/reviews/amd-power-curve-optimizer-guide-zen-3

yXxT3eE.jpg

Last edited:
Well that article calms me down a bit.

Would you be able to tell me how to access the curve optimizer? As you can see in my last picture its not accessable to me.
You get 'in' to it through PBO, but some motherboards make it unnecessarily difficult to get into it. In my BIOS (Asus TUF B550m Gaming Plus) I have to go to AMD Overclocking in Advanced settings. You may have to hunt it down in your BIOS too.

There's a lot of youtube videos on the process, I seriously suggest you watch a few. Here's a link to one by a guy who's very methodical in how he does it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfkrp25dpQ0