May 16, 2023
Hey, so I just ordered a new AIO for my desktop. I suspect my old AIO(NZXT M22 Kraken 120mm) was dead, so I ordered a new one (NZXT X63 280mm).I’m not sure when it started happening, but my CPU (I7-10700K) was running pretty hot usually around mid 80’s to mid 90’s °C, so here’s hoping it helps my CPU temps a bit more.

I wanted to know mainly 3 things.

1. What CPU temps should I be wary of and what temps should I expect with this new AIO? I want to make sure I catch it quick if its something other than my AIO that is causing the problem if the temps are still pretty hot. (If this is even possible. I know it’s a pretty vague and non cookie cutter question, but any advice helps with what I should expect temp wise while gaming and idling respectively).

2. Was it my AIO to begin with? I suspect the AIO was dead, but from what I heard, the 10700K runs pretty hot, so there is a chance that there just wasn’t sufficient cooling with a 120mm AIO, it is still fine, and I could turn around and sell the AIO for a pretty solid price somewhere else if it just couldn’t handle my CPU.

3. Is the NZXT X63 280mm any good (or any 240-280mm AIO on a 10700K for that matter)? Like will this be enough to tame my 10700K at stock settings and possibly even after OC?

Thank you in advance for the help. If you have any other necessary questions that should be answered just ask, I’ll do my best to respond in a timely manner!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1. What CPU temps should I be wary of and what temps should I expect with this new AIO?
I suppose 90C+. No one can tell you the latter, as it is influenced by several factors, leading to different results among multiple users.

2. Was it my AIO to begin with?
First, all AIO/CLCs will inevitably fail and become e-waste. There's no if, but WHEN.
Second, the M22 specifically was a Kraken manufactured by Apaltek, which have a bit of a track record for their coolers failing earlier than they should. The other Krakens are done by Asetek.
Msi's MAG and MPG Coreliquids which have been problematic, was one of Apaltek's recent hiccups. They clogged up around a year(+/-) of use, and top mounting the radiator exposed the pump to friction and heat; the pump is built in to the radiator on those units, just like the Kraken M22.

3. Is the NZXT X63 280mm any good (or any 240-280mm AIO on a 10700K for that matter)? Like will this be enough to tame my 10700K at stock settings and possibly even after OC?
The use of NZXT CAM is hit and miss for some. I guess you're ok with it, since you've ordered another Kraken.
The 2nd question is a speculative one on the latter and requires testing. Stock settings varies, as the board manufacturer may not follow the cpu manufacturer's stock.
Plug it up and don't worry about all that. It'll do fine, until it doesn't - dies, or you get too aggressive with your settings.

Reactions: PoojHoon
May 16, 2023
I suppose 90C+. No one can tell you the latter, as it is influenced by several factors, leading to different results among multiple users.

First, all AIO/CLCs will inevitably fail and become e-waste. There's no if, but WHEN.
Second, the M22 specifically was a Kraken manufactured by Apaltek, which have a bit of a track record for their coolers failing earlier than they should. The other Krakens are done by Asetek.
Msi's MAG and MPG Coreliquids which have been problematic, was one of Apaltek's recent hiccups. They clogged up around a year(+/-) of use, and top mounting the radiator exposed the pump to friction and heat; the pump is built in to the radiator on those units, just like the Kraken M22.

The use of NZXT CAM is hit and miss for some. I guess you're ok with it, since you've ordered another Kraken.
The 2nd question is a speculative one on the latter and requires testing. Stock settings varies, as the board manufacturer may not follow the cpu manufacturer's stock.
Plug it up and don't worry about all that. It'll do fine, until it doesn't - dies, or you get too aggressive with your settings.
I appreciate the advice! The cooler comes in tomorrow, if I have any minor issues, would you mind helping me out troubleshooting a bit? If not completely understandable thanks again!