Jul 19, 2019
Hello everyone!
Recently I noticed when playing games (Overwatch, Fortnite, Apex and Black Ops 4) my CPU usage will jump up to 100% usage from about 40-50% and the games will lag. Any idea on what the issue might be and how I might be able to fix it? It's not as noticeable when playing Overwatch but when playing Fortnite, Apex or Black Ops 4 the games are basically unplayable.

Solution
Hey! Here's a list of my system specs... (If you need anything else, let me know)
Processor: Intel Core i5-7400
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
RAM: 16GB
And while running games I tend to have either spotify open or google chrome but never both.

As others have said- the issue in that build is your CPU - an RTX 2060 is just a much more powerful graphics card than the CPU can realistically support (unless you push the resolution up to shift load onto the GPU e.g. 1440p).

That said there are some good upgrade options- an I7 7700 for example should really help and would be a drop in upgrade.
Hello everyone!
Recently I noticed when playing games (Overwatch, Fortnite, Apex and Black Ops 4) my CPU usage will jump up to 100% usage from about 40-50% and the games will lag. Any idea on what the issue might be and how I might be able to fix it? It's not as noticeable when playing Overwatch but when playing Fortnite, Apex or Black Ops 4 the games are basically unplayable.

Some system specs would be handy- also do you run other things in the background (e.g. leaving Chrome tabs open, music player etc?)...

Jul 19, 2019
Some system specs would be handy- also do you run other things in the background (e.g. leaving Chrome tabs open, music player etc?)...
Hey! Here's a list of my system specs... (If you need anything else, let me know)
And while running games I tend to have either spotify open or google chrome but never both.

Any 4c/4t CPU is going to stay 100% busy in more recent titles; you can try maxing out res and quality/detail setttings , and/or capping your FPS to 60-70 in an attempt to reign in the CPU from trying to keep up with the GPU's capabilities, and, stopping all other non-vital tasks/processes to free up CPU resources....; as for Spotify, if you want music,...stick an earpiece in your ear linked to an iphone, a DiscMan, MP3 player, etc....sparing your already struggling CPU of any additional burden... :)

As others have said- the issue in that build is your CPU - an RTX 2060 is just a much more powerful graphics card than the CPU can realistically support (unless you push the resolution up to shift load onto the GPU e.g. 1440p).

That said there are some good upgrade options- an I7 7700 for example should really help and would be a drop in upgrade.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS