Mar 10, 2019
Hello everyone,

I have a ryzen 7 2700x and lately i'm testing a free photogrammetry software (meshroom). I'm a bit worried about my cpu usage because it's going up and down during the calculation (instead of staying at 100%).

Is it dangerous for the hardware ? I will need to use this software quite often so...

1552233451-cpu-usage.jpg

Thanks in advance :)

It's just reacting to software requirements. That's normal, only dedicated programs for "torture testing" would keep it on 100% while they are running.
That's not true, a lot of everyday software is able to reach and stay at 100% for as long as it's running it's task.
Meshroom probably isn't using enough threads to reach 100% usage.
And yes,there is no problem in going up and down and no problem in staying at 100% all the time,as long as the temps are ok there is no danger.

That's not true, a lot of everyday software is able to reach and stay at 100% for as long as it's running it's task.
Meshroom probably isn't using enough threads to reach 100% usage.
And yes,there is no problem in going up and down and no problem in staying at 100% all the time,as long as the temps are ok there is no danger.
It's true only if CPU is not up to task assigned to it, some poor dual core may go to 100% much easier and often than an 16/32 thread and rare are applications that can push it to high percentage on all cores/threads.