Question Crucial SSD is not detected in bios dell Optiplex

Aug 1, 2022
I need help getting my computer to detect my NEW ssd. I have 2 new drives and they are both not being detected. They have never worked for me.
I have dell optiplex 7020 and I am trying to attach Crucial 1tb ssd mx500 on my windows server 2022. It is not showing up in bios, device manager, nor disk manager. (only shows all drive if I plug in usb it says disk 1 no media and it will say that even if I disconnect the drive and leave it plugged.)Btw secure boot is off and I am booting from legacy in AHCI mode ata mode didn't work either.
Things I have tried
-I have updated my bios.
-I have tried booting both drives separately as a secondary drive using hdd drive caddy or a sata to usb drive.
-I even tried booting as a primary drive but I get the error no bootable drive detected.
-I even tried power cycling.
-I tried booting from my windows 7 pc but no luck.
-Restarting computer
-Crucial customer support was no help
-I tried running aomei partition and halo disk but they don't see drives on there either.
I am able to use the hdd caddy but not the sata to usb to boot my old kingsfast ssd. I am completely lost.

Here is a link to view my screenshots of disk and device manager View: https://imgur.com/a/WqZfPLV

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I even tried booting as a primary drive but I get the error no bootable drive detected
Does the drive show up in BIOS at this point?

Got a link to the HDD caddy? Also, got links to both drives that don't work for you? Might want to also state the age of the PSU, apart from it's make and model for the OptiPlex 7020. Did yo try working with a different SATA cable?

Aug 1, 2022
Got a link to the HDD caddy? Also, got links to both drives that don't work for you? Might want to also state the age of the PSU, apart from it's make and model for the OptiPlex 7020. Did yo try working with a different SATA cable?
Caddy
Amazon.com: SATA Hard Drive Caddy, Universal 9.5 mm SATA to SATA 2nd SSD HDD Hard Drive Caddy Adapter Tray Enclosures for DELL HP Lenovo ThinkPad ACER Gateway ASUS Sony Samsung MSI Laptop : Electronics
SSD
Amazon.com: Crucial MX500 1TB 3D NAND SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD, up to 560MB/s - CT1000MX500SSD1 : Electronics

Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I even tried booting as a primary drive but I get the error no bootable drive detected
Does the drive show up in BIOS at this point?
Thank you! No it does not show in bios.

Lutfij

Titan
Did you try working with the 2.5" SSD on a donor system, one that isn't Windows 7? Also, what BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? Mind sharing the specs to your prebuilt alongside an image of the innards to your prebuilt?

Aug 1, 2022
Did you try working with the 2.5" SSD on a donor system, one that isn't Windows 7? Also, what BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? Mind sharing the specs to your prebuilt alongside an image of the innards to your prebuilt?
I did try using the sata cables that came with dell optiplex that were working for my old device. I bought it second hand from amazon. Ive had it for a year. I only tested it on the windows 7 computer. I didn't have another to test. I am not sure how old the psu is. It was still powering the CD drive and old hard drive fine.
Here a link to specs.
View: https://imgur.com/a/BWPGU7x

Aug 1, 2022
Right. You might want to try using another set of SATA data cables. Donor system say anything else about your Crucial SSD?
Nope. I used my old drive to test the other cords as well snd all besides the usb works so I don't think it is the cords.I tried 3 differnt cords one was sata to usb, hdd caddy that connected using cd drive sata and power cord, and just connecting the ssd directly to the motherboard. The cord work since I added the old ssd and am using it now, Only one that didnt work was sata to usb but it was the only one to pop up in disk managment as removeable no media. I did the exact same thing on the donor pc.