Crysis 2 Wins Title of Most Pirated Game of 2011

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cronik93

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]People who pirate are scumbags. Get a job and go buy the piece of software. Bunch of losers.[/citation]

I wouldn't buy Crysis 2 if I had all the money in the world.

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
piracy is bad for everybody. PC gamers who pirate are shooting themselves in the foot, by pushing more pc developers to consoles. PC gamers have enough problems getting good games, we dont need fricken pirates making it worse.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
AnUnusedUserName analogies are so far out there that I'm not even going to bother to debate just how unrelated they are ... "charge for air"?? - oh brother, you'll think of anything to try to justify the morality of stealing products.

At what point in life do you think you deserve the ability to decide to pay for something after you've used it? What a bunch of spoiled brats. In fact, I can't think of any product that is for entertainment purposes that offers you the "choice" to pay for it AFTER you've used it??

Games are entertainment. Movies are entertainment. Good luck in trying to get a refund after dropping $20 on a Movie that didn't meet your expectations. Or for that matter music that you purchased and decided you didn't like or got bored with it after several weeks/months. WTF is this, a generation of people that think the world OWES them something ... get a clue, no one owes you anything and that includes software demos. I've never seen so many whiners ... generation X is now generation Whiner.

Ya know what you criminals/pirates should do, go to EA or any developer house and sit down for a day or two or three and see the work those people put into a product, often 14 hour days or more. Get a real clue as to what is actually involved in the production of a game. You see those list of credits of the 100's even 1000's of people involved in the development of a game?

Whether a game meets "YOUR EXPECTATIONS" is irrelevant to the price of a game.

Theft is bad for everyone ... but regardless, it's a crime and none of these BS excuses listed here are going to get you off the hook, morally or in a court of law.

rawful

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
Once again, they are not losing sales. Most pirates were not going to pay $60 for a piece of crap to begin with. A lot of pirates find that even the time they took to download it was a waste and they wish they could get it back. You are not a representative of any rational point of view, only a corporate point of view.

There is no money lost when someone downloads a game. There is sometimes money made from a pirate who finds they liked the game and will actually purchase it. Otherwise they wouldn't play it at all. Nobody wants to spend $60 for something, find out they don't like it, and be stuck with it forever. Even a console game you can take back to the store for partial credit.

Morally pirates are not worried, they do not feel they are doing wrong. I don't feel they are doing wrong either. The court of law argument is ridiculous. Don't even bother barking up that tree, nobody is concerned or considers the legal system to be a basis of right or wrong. The publishing companies are the problem with the gaming industry, as with every other industry. It is all about greed, and their desires to squeeze every penny out of the consumer and not pass it to the developer.

rawful

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
[citation][nom]cptnjarhead[/nom]ah the liberal mindset, so predictable.[/citation]

If your only argument is to call me liberal, which was a dumb path to take to begin with, then I guess you are done here. It was clear that you had nothing to add to this discussion from the beginning. That's ok though, you can go tell yourself that liberals are killing PC gaming or whatever you have yourself convinced of. Do you consider corporatism to be conservative? I am not sure why I am even asking, you couldn't possibly formulate an intelligent answer to that question, because you do not even understand what a liberal is.

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
man you are easy. I believe in the free market. This “greed” as you call it, has saved more lives, fed more people and created more wealth for individuals than any other social programs ever. The only entity that can force you to pay for something is the Government. Companies don’t put guns to your head and tell you to purchase their software, so stop acting like they are criminals. If the market will bear $60 games, then that is the what it will bear.
As for calling you a liberal. Maybe I should clarify. “It is all about greed, and their desires to squeeze every penny out of the consumer and not pass it to the developer” that is a textbook liberal statement. Liberals believe that corporations are evil and make money of the hard work of others. I believe that companies create wealth for everyone. No one starts a company to create jobs. They start a company to create wealth and better their lives and in doing so, they better the lives of others in the process.

rawful

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
Company and corporation are not synonymous. Also, I believe in a free market economy too, and I want to see it before I die. So, before you label me as one of your Fox vs MSNBC catchwords, why don't you engage in a real conversation. I have no issue with a company being for profit, that is the way capitalism works. You invest goods, time, or money, and expect a return on your investment.

The PC market clearly will not bear $60 games, especially ones of increasingly bad quality. That is exactly what is going on here. A craptastic game is made, nobody wants to buy it, some people download it to try it out to see if its really as bad as everyone says, or just to look at the graphics, or even just to give it a chance, and then the publishing corporation (not the developer of the game) claims that they lost all this money to piracy, not to the fact that they forced the developer to push out another cookie-cutter game to release before it's even complete. With PC gaming, you can't just rent it to see if you like it or not. You can't try it out in any way. You cannot believe the review sites like Gamespot because the reviews are bought (yay corporatism).

EA is more responsible for the decline in gaming than piracy is. Lack of creativity in game development is more to blame than piracy. Ridiculous pricing schemes and DRM schemes are more to blame. You are blaming the consumers for the corporations being out of control. People ARE voting with their wallets, they are refusing to pay the corporation any more.

Also, the government can NOT force you to pay for anything. Not according to our constitution. Maybe it is liberal to believe in that, too? No, I am sorry to say that the easy one is you. You do not understand what a liberal is, if you think I am one. I would not label you as a liberal or a conservative. Just ignorant.

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
$60 games, especially ones of increasingly bad quality
um? that is my point, piracy is not helping the PC gaming industry.

the government can NOT force you to pay for anything".
Try not paying your taxes. Especially as a business owner.
Read Amendment 16 and Title 26 of the United States Code.

especially ones of increasingly bad quality
Caveat emptor.

liberals believe in a guaranteed outcome.
Libertarians/Conservatives believe in equal opportunities for everyone, but not equal outcome.

rawful

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
[citation][nom]cptnjarhead[/nom]um? that is my point, piracy is not helping the PC gaming industry.Try not paying your taxes. Especially as a business owner.Read Amendment 16 and Title 26 of the United States Code. Caveat emptor. liberals believe in a guaranteed outcome. Libertarians/Conservatives believe in equal opportunities for everyone, but not equal outcome.[/citation]

Do not play the corporate media game of taking a fragment of a statement out of the context of the surrounding statements. The federal income tax is unconstitutional and baseless. It was established to pay off the interest that was put on our money as a result of the federal reserve act.

So, you are trying to say that wanting to be sure of the quality of what you are buying is a liberal agenda. Just buying it and hoping for the best is liberarian/conservative. That makes sense to you? The games that are solid and worth the money get the sales. Look at Skyrim. It could be easily pirated, and yet the majority of people bought it. It's that simple.

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
Just buying it and hoping for the best is liberarian/conservative. That makes sense to you?

Liberaran? is that a country?
anyway...
"hoping for the best?" if you buy a bad game its your opinion and your fault, not the fault developers. Read reviews do your research. Just because your experience was not favorable does not mean the same for everyone. If you don't like a game or are unsatisfied try to return it. Start your own company and develop games that you enjoy. Take on the companies that you feel are creating bad games compete for their market share.
Piracy is bad for everyone.

thanks for playing
have a great day :)
"positive thoughts and actions yield positive results"

rawful

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
So, your argument ends with "Lol, you made a typo, now allow me to re-iterate the points that are not valid and pretend I won." Cool story, kid. You claim to believe in free market economics, and yet are arguing against people not paying for what they don't want. Your "solutions" solve nothing. The problem will perpetuate and grow larger. Piracy will be more and more rampant. The consumers are speaking to the corporations, and they are telling them that they refuse to pay for more of the same.

viciouz2000

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
single player games should be free, I dont think playing with myself should cost money, do i pay myself to jack off? If its a multiplayer game, then yeah, i will buy if the game is worth it. I bought MW3 because i didnt want to wait an hour to get into an online game on MW2 or Black Ops. I downloaded batman the first arkham game, it was decent but i stop playing after an hour because i got bored. So yeah, im glad i didnt waste money on it, that nothing compares to actually playing the game instead of just looking at reviews and game trailers and youtube video to see if you like the game or not

wenqi

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Team Fotress 2 is a great game... and its "free to play" but you need a premium account (not free) to trade... i think most games should be like that, free and pay for added features (world of tanks is probably a better example)

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
rawful ... you have no "right" to anything. You want to keep on being a criminal and stealing entertainment and have the balls to start complaining that all these games suck (which means you must have played them all and put in a significant amount time in these games in order to formulate your opinion). So if the games keep sucking so much, why do you keep stealing them?

Viciouz2000,

You "thieves" errr pirates are so spoiled it boggles my mind ... "I got bored" waaa waaa waaa ... so now that makes it ok to steal a game because after an hour you got bored?? Does the world revolve around you? Did your parents keep telling you how "your the best ever" when you really sucked? Are you a paper plate silver spooner?

You can spend $200 on a hooker and get bored after 2 minutes ... so what exactly is your point ... $60 is supposed to keep you entertain for some period YOU define? But I guess in your case you stole the game and didn't pay a dime yet it entertained you for an hour.

You see anything on the game cover, box, or fine print that says "guaranteed NOT to bore you within an hour or your money back"?

Get real, man up, and stop pretending you're not a criminal. I have more respect for the numb nuts that at least admit their criminals, perhaps stupid thing to do on a public forum, but at least they don't pretend to be anything else.

The big bad evil corporations, poor little baby boo boo -- let me get out the violins out.

therandomuser

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
In response to the current thread, I shall quote what TotalBiscuit has said before...
"This generation has no idea what the difference is between objectivity and subjectivity"

julianbautista87

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
pirates (a.k.a thieves) are not going to say that what they do is wrong. Criminals like Capone used to say that they were good people opressed by the system (Capone killed a lot of people during his life) so don't expect that pirates say they are criminals, for them, they are innocent and fine people opressed by the corporations.

julianbautista87

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
And please remember, those games are made by hundreds of workers who think, design, program every single aspect of the game. These people have bills to pay, have families to support and they sell their product in a free market and you are not oblieged to adquiere it. You DO NOT NEED to play their games. You CHOOSE to play them. They have no obligation to make a demo, or to make it free, if you don't like that, then don't buy it, go for other game with demo. You are free to decide whether or not to buy their games.

julianbautista87

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
60 dollars a game is too much? I do think the same, that's why I buy 1-2 years old games on sale, when those games are way cheaper. And I'm from Colombia, not from a rich country like the United States, but I prefer to buy an old game than to steal a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.