Crysis 2 Wins Title of Most Pirated Game of 2011

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

azconnie

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
So EA lost $300mil scoring 1st and third in game piracy. Good. Let the pain continue. EA has become an unrelenting blow to the game industry, and continues to harm players, and destroy franchises. Lets mourn the loss of Bioware, and their incredible stories, but sacrifices must be made destroting tyrants. It's time for a power vacuum.

juxtaposer

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
[citation][nom]christop[/nom]It was a piece of poo anyways. I didn't steal it but would like my money back.[/citation]
That sounds like an honest opinion.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]billybobser[/nom]To be honest, given the bugs in Skyrim (game breaking). I would NEVER buy it on a console, it would be unplayable.[/citation]

Got over 150 hrs played and only bug iwe seen is an animation bug, yeah totally unplayable game /laugh

moonzy

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
[citation][nom]tinmann[/nom]I would usually take this opportunity to Crysis 2 bash but I'm going to let it go.[/citation]
Please, just call it a POS game! XD

moonzy

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
[citation][nom]KrzyMoke[/nom]LOL CrysisLOL, Steam just so happens to have DEMO's I love Steam and thank GOD they are here. I saved so much money buying games on Sale, getting Demo's and also get to Beta upcoming Games. All through the ease of one program.[/citation]

Steam is great, but they do NOT have any demos of Crysis. Nor do they have demos of a LOT of games
that SHOULD have demos, which is why youtube is so awesome for gamers to get a good taste.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]Hey thieves, still arguing I see?If you buy a game and don't like it then you deserve to get taken for your money.I used reviews as an example, but there are so many other ways to see if a game is worth it. Do any of you have friends? I always tried out games my friends bought (and they tried ones I bought) before buying a copy. You don't have friends? What about online communities? Every good game will have dozens of forums dedicated to it, which you'll probably visit for tips on gameplay anyway. Ever go to an Internet Cafe and watch people play? Or try a game yourself? Never been to a LAN party?Again, sorry to say crooks, but you have no valid excuses for wanting to "trial" a game. Unless you live alone in your mom's basement out in the sticks and don't have any freinds. In which case, I say pirate away as your life is pathetic so you might as well.[/citation]

sorry to say mr stick up your ass you have no valid points.. other then perhaps a friend.. since none of my friends game that wont apply to me.. you can call me a thief if you want.. ill just throw it at the likes of activision or EA.. publishers are theves. really its you that should give up.. your cinical white and black world view not only isnt populer but its not practical. people that want to sell good products go out of thier way to get you to try it.. becuase they know its the best way to get you to buy it. the ones that do everything to stop you from trying it... are the ones that know they are robbing your ass.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Pirates are criminals just like everyone that steals, and they are slowly but surely being prosecuted as criminals.

The "I steal the game because I want try it first" is the most stupid excuse a criminal could make, and it does NOT fly in court BTW. Also, most of these games go down from $50-$60 on initial release to about $5-$20 only a few months later ... so yeah, the "poor me excuse" just doesn't work.

Kit cars and software are the same thing?? What complete NON SENSE. I don't see statistics showing 40% of cars sold today are being stolen from dealerships because people think they are "too expensive". Sounds like you are somehow trying to justify your criminal activity.

Piracy is a problem, it's criminal, it's theft ... software isn't food, it's not a vital product to survival, it's freakin' entertainment, if you can't afford the entertainment, then TFB ... get a real job so you can contribute to society instead of trying to steal from it.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You numb nuts that are admitting your criminals ... oh sorry, pirates ... you realize that if Tom's is subpoena they are required to provide information on you idiots admitting you crimes? US laws are changing in regards to corps like Bestofmedia Network, they can be forced to provide information about you and your account here at Tom's.

Perhaps you pirates need to get yourself's educated before you start posting about your criminal activity.

rawful

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
Reading all these comments, I feel like there are EA employees making posts calling everyone thieves for not wanting to give them $60 for the first half of the game, and then successively pay them more and more money for the rest of the game.

Piracy is not a problem. At all. It is not lost revenue for any game developer. It is not lost revenue for any publisher. The majority of pirates would NOT have purchased the game in the first place for any number of reasons. If they were not going to purchase it in the first place, the publishers wouldn't have gotten a sale out of them anyways.

However, because of piracy, a vast amount of additional people (who weren't going to buy the game) actually have a chance to play through it and see the strong points of a game, and maybe upon playing it they find they actually like the game quite a bit, despite lackluster reviews (because the publishers didn't pay the review site for a great review in this case). Then they buy it. In that case, piracy actually generated additional revenue for the company. At the very least it means an extra person being exposed to the creative content of the developers.

The sad fact is that 95% of games are just me-too cookie-cutter games. Very little originality, very little reason to spend $60. I consider publishers to be criminals far before I consider pirates to be criminals. Corporations are the real problem here.

srgess

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
may want to ban youtube or close the website because almost all popular complete music from artist is on there, so if you watched one of them does it make you a theif ? So game developper need to have better security like some kind of online server key to be able to play the game, only single player game will still be hacked wich is sad. I know its a lame excuse "i want to trial the game before buy" BUT do game developper will refund if the game is bad, buggy ? So i would say that a demo,trial,beta should be an obligation to all game to cut down pirate but why they arent making it because they know they will make less profit if the game preview is bad.

AnUnusedUsername

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
[citation][nom]V8VENOM[/nom]Kit cars and software are the same thing?? What complete NON SENSE. I don't see statistics showing 40% of cars sold today are being stolen from dealerships because people think they are "too expensive". Sounds like you are somehow trying to justify your criminal activity[/citation]

You completely missed the point of the argument. People buy kit cars because they provide a better experience than the classics at a price point that's basically zero in comparison. A real shelby cobra costs around 200 grand or more, and will be running on parts from the 60s so will be unreliable and a pain to find replacement parts for. A kit-car cobra costs around 30 grand, and will use new parts, be more reliable, and probably run better. People don't go stealing cars because they're too expensive, because that would be taking something away from someone else. Instead they buy kit-cars, which are a COPY of the real thing, so they aren't taking anything from anyone. A pirated piece of software is the same thing. Comparatively zero price point, but usually a better, more reliable product.

Many people frown on those that buy kit cars. After all, they're getting the same or better experience for much less cost. But they certainly aren't stealing anything, because their kit cars don't take away from the classic car market, they exist in addition to it. (Arguably more so than with software. Some people that pirate software could actually afford it at some point. I doubt anyone that's built a kit car will ever even see the money required for the real thing.) This is possible entirely because the classic car market, just like the software market, sells a product for tens or hundreds of times more than it costs to produce. Whenever a market like this exists, you get the same thing. With classic cars, it's called kit-cars and replicas. With software, it's called piracy. You can frown on pirates all you want, but they aren't the problem, the market is the problem.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Oh brother, the Robin Hoods of the world unite ... oh please. Games are entertainment ... rich people, yeah right ... all these "rich" people are buying games.

Oh it's the "corporations" fault, yeah ... software developers/publishers are just same as Banks?? When feeling guilty, just blame someone else ... that's your ticket ... blame someone else, it's never YOUR fault. What a common attitude among criminals -- ask me how I know.

Any other ridiculous attempts at trying to justify your criminal activity? Like maybe you can't wait a few months for the price to drop to $10 because the world may come to an end and you'll have missed out on playing the game you claim you hate?

Ok, 95% of the games are crappy ... so that's why you steal them, play them endlessly online and/or complete the single player ... they're SO BAD that you waste your time playing them thru to completion? Is that the idea? OMFG!

Banned?? You really are stupid ... being banned is the least of your worries.

1st off most games do have demos/trial version and some even get you Beta versions. But either way, a software company is under NO obligation to provide a demo. Do what the rest of the world does, wait a few weeks, read actual user reviews in addition to site reviews and magazine reviews and decide. Trying to justify theft because there isn't a demo available will NOT stand up in a US court, plain and simple.

Whatever you "believe" the "sad fact" to be is also completely irrelevant ... don't buy it, don't spend your $60, or wait a few months and get it for $10.

Everyone defending theft is simply trying to justify their criminal activity, try to reconcile their heads to believe they aren't a criminal and are somehow still a "good" person (whatever that is). You pirate, you're a criminal, at least man (or woman) up to it.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
[citation][nom]AnUnusedUsername[/nom]You completely missed the point of the argument. People buy kit cars because they provide a better experience than the classics at a price point that's basically zero in comparison. A real shelby cobra costs around 200 grand or more, and will be running on parts from the 60s so will be unreliable and a pain to find replacement parts for. A kit-car cobra costs around 30 grand, and will use new parts, be more reliable, and probably run better. People don't go stealing cars because they're too expensive, because that would be taking something away from someone else. Instead they buy kit-cars, which are a COPY of the real thing, so they aren't taking anything from anyone. A pirated piece of software is the same thing. Comparatively zero price point, but usually a better, more reliable product.Many people frown on those that buy kit cars. After all, they're getting the same or better experience for much less cost. But they certainly aren't stealing anything, because their kit cars don't take away from the classic car market, they exist in addition to it. (Arguably more so than with software. Some people that pirate software could actually afford it at some point. I doubt anyone that's built a kit car will ever even see the money required for the real thing.) This is possible entirely because the classic car market, just like the software market, sells a product for tens or hundreds of times more than it costs to produce. Whenever a market like this exists, you get the same thing. With classic cars, it's called kit-cars and replicas. With software, it's called piracy. You can frown on pirates all you want, but they aren't the problem, the market is the problem.[/citation]

Blaming some unidentified entity (the market) is going no where fast ... try it in a US court and see how far it gets you.

$60 software vs. $30,000 kit car or a $200,000 original -- that's your justification for your criminal activity? Tell ya what, since you keep on the "kit car" analogy ... how about the software companies sends you a C++ compiler, 3D render tools, some graphics texture files, and 500,000 pages of instructions and you put the game together ... would that satisfy your Kit car approach to software?

AnUnusedUsername

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
[citation][nom]V8VENOM[/nom]Blaming some unidentified entity (the market) is going no where fast ... try it in a US court and see how far it gets you.$60 software vs. $30,000 kit car or a $200,000 original -- that's your justification for your criminal activity? Tell ya what, since you keep on the "kit car" analogy ... how about the software companies sends you a C++ compiler, 3D render tools, some graphics texture files, and 500,000 pages of instructions and you put the game together ... would that satisfy your Kit car approach to software?[/citation]

Of course blaming an entity won't work in court, but whether something is wrong or right has absolutely nothing to do with courts. Murder would still be bad if it was legal, and going 66 instead of 65 on a highway isn't a cardinal sin because it's illegal. Yes, by definition pirating games is "criminal activity". That doesn't mean there's anything morally wrong with it, or that there's anything good about it. That's a completely different issue.

As for sending you instructions, that's also beside the point. You only pay a very minimal premium to get a fully assembled kit car. Sure, you can pay a bit less and assemble it yourself, but in either case you are still paying basically nothing in comparison to full price, so it's the same situation as a pirated vs. a retail game.

I'm just trying to make a parallel between the two things. The point is that the reason kit cars exist is the exact same reason pirated games exist. The market system just isn't compatible with that type of product. Buying a kit car instead of a real one is the same, morally, as pirating a game. You may feel that it's wrong to pirate a game, because you're getting something someone else had to pay for for much less. But you have to feel the same way about kit cars then, because it's the same issue. You can hate pirates all you want, but you have to realize that piracy (or, more accurately, free-riding), is an inherent aspect of human nature. It's why communism doesn't work, and it's also why you can't sell things that cost nothing to produce. Blaming individuals for the broken system isn't going to get you anywhere. If the government started charging people for air, you wouldn't go around arresting people who took a breath without paying for it, you'd work to change the system so that it wasn't broken in the first place. You need to focus on the source problem, not it's symptoms.

(I realize the air analogy isn't the greatest, as when you take a breath you are technically taking something that could have been used by someone else, unlike with piracy, so it would actually be stealing to breath without a license in that scenario, but I think you get the point.)

Admittedly, the system isn't going to change anytime soon either, but I don't expect it to change. I'm just sick of hearing people complain about pirates while completely ignoring the root of the problem, which is far worse than a few people not paying for something.

And, because I figure you are dismissing me as a thieving lunatic anyway, I guess I should point out that I don't actually pirate games myself. I don't like the idea of buying a kit car, because I feel that you lose the "special something" you get from buying a real one. I don't pirate games for basically the same reason. I like having a "real" copy, preferably an actual physical copy instead of a digital one, and I would like to be supporting the developers. Now, don't get me wrong, I know I'm not actually supporting anyone but publishers and the store owners by buying retail, but just because I hate the way the current system works doesn't mean I want it to completely collapse before it gets fixed. I'd rather have the completely broken system we have now than no system at all. But I completely understand why some people pirate games, and I don't blame them for it one bit.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Thank you pirates... Helping to kill the PC gaming market! ( wonder how many of these are Chinese pirates? ) if these games sold even half as much what is being pirated, it would improve the health of the industry.

So instead... A developer maybe lucky to sell 50,000 units then find out millions are stealing their game? And then the multiplayer servers are empty as the pirates can't log onto the gaming networks to play others.

Hence, they do consoles where there are 50 million units and they will sell about 1-5 million copies... Per platform. Why bother with PC? When PC gamings gets really bad, we will see gaming cards become weaker too.

The ONLY thing that could save PC gaming is the APP store format... Where each game is attached to your account. Of course anything DL can be hacked.

Okay... So have a $1000 gaming rig with a $400 video card... Yet can afford to buy a $25-50 game? Hell, some people can spend that in a single night for dinner or going out for drinks or a stripper bar.

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
[citation][nom]techy74[/nom]Piracy, you can see why PC developers struggle so much. If you like the game - just buy it.[/citation]
If a developer wants sales then they should make QUALITY games not some rehashed crap. The issue is that developers expect to get millions of sales from shits like MW3 and a plethora of other games being released today. I'm not paying $60 for a turd and that's what developers aren't seeing - that the people won't buy their turds, they want QUALITY. Make quality and the sales will come to you.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]hahahaha, wasnt Crytek said the switched to Console port for crysis 2 to avoid pirates from PCs? Look what happened now? u didnt solve the problem & u get the top spot for pirated game beating ur own crysis 1 record who is PC only, then u pissed off the legit PC users. doesnt solve the problem + pissing off PC user, how does that make u any better. lol.[/citation]

Um, actually this statistic validates their reasoning for developing with consoles in mind. You don't see the Xbox or PS3 version of Crysis 2 on the Top Pirated Titles chart here do you?

I was one of those that bought the game for consoles over PC despite the fact that my computer could run it. They made at least one sale because of me. They may not have sold as many as CoD or BF but they certainly suffered fewer pirated copies.

srgess

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Well Drop the price of the digital copy at least because honestly if you pay 60$ for a dvd copy wich they have to pay for the dvd, case, paper, shipping to retail store. Why in the hell digital copy is the same price ? Cut that price in half now you gonna have a sales boost and profit boost because you gonna sell a lot more. I mean stop selling collector edition and such crap we dont care as a gamer we are not kid like console player.

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Sell it on steam and get rid of Origions and we'll talk. Oh and it needs a substantial price drop, We're not console tards who'll pay anything for a game thats meh at best.

athlondude

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I love the whole wait a few months till its 10 dollars then buy it comment, yeah try that with Call of Duty, Black ops has been out over a year now and its still 60 bucks, same with games like Star Craft. Once again though I'm not saying thats a good reason to pirate them, just a fact. Another really funny comment was the "most games have demos or trials" comment. Really? Name a few! COD=no demo, Serious Sam=no demo, BF3=no demo, Skyrim=no demo, etc.... Yeah there are a few out there, but damn few, and its crazy to think that the more populor games dont have demos, makes me think how many more sales the company would have had they released one. Sure the company is under no obligation to provide one, but if they want my money they should consider it.

Look, I'm not a pirate, never been a pirate, and dont plan on becoming a pirate. In fact when games get so crappy that they aren't worth having, I'll stop playing them. I do however disagree that the devs should be let off the hook when it comes to providing quality games. Some one here I dont know who said that if I buy a game and dont like it I deserve to get ripped off, why? If I dont get the opportunity to try the game out first to find out wether ot not I will like it then I cant be blamed for the crap the developer put out, so how is it my fault I got ripped off? UbiSoft put out FarCry 2 and did not release a demo. I figured hell the first FarCry was awesome so the second should be great right? I was so disappointed because not only was it boring, but it had nothing to do with the original game! Are you saying its my fault the developer put out crap? I dont think so.

Piracy is a crime I agree, you shouldnt do that. Developing bad games without any way of demoing them may not be a crime but it is just as bad and wrong. Its like ordering a steak at a resturaunt and getting a hamburger. Its not what I wanted, and the developers need to take a good hard look at quality control and listen to the people giving them the money that keeps them going.

Status
Not open for further replies.