Crysis vs Crysis Warhead vs Crysis 2 (PC)

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Crysis vs Crysis Warhead vs Crysis 2 (PC)

• Crysis

Votes: 46 39.3%
  • Crysis Warhead

Votes: 17 14.5%
  • Crysis 2 (DX11)

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • I like all equally

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • I dislike all three

Votes: 7 6.0%

• Total voters

Stringjam

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011

Nope....just plain old FRAPS screenshot. :) (note.....those mod level screenies are from the modder - I was too lazy this time to post my own)

That is by far the best looking parking deck I've seen in a game. Very cool stuff.

Now check this out....this is the most impressive indoor environment I've ever seen in real-time in any game engine. Amazing, those CryDev guys.
[flash=1024,600]http://www.youtube.com/v/-_IKqjb9TRY?version=3&hl=en_US[/flash]

I downloaded the Mod, and used recommended plus turned up a few settings like SSDO and real time reflections. It looks really good, I can definitely see more use of tessellation and improved textures, although it didn't look quite as good as I was expecting, but that is how it goes when you get overly excited about something.

The really good thing was that it worked with 3D Vision and I even managed to stay close to 60 FPS all the time with a few dips to as low as 48 once in a while.

That's great - glad it works with 3D. But don't use recommended settings (most are Very High settings) - go ahead and crank those sliders all the way up - especially if you're using a 680 + i7. BTW the 3.0b version is almost a year old now, the final version Maldo's about to release contains hundreds more fixes, optimizations, and textures. Check out the screenshots from the last several months: http://maldotex.blogspot.com/

Remember, 3D Vision requires more power, but I actually have 680's in SLI, so it does work pretty well at the settings I have tried. I turned on all the optional items, but didn't turn all the settings to max, most of them didn't sound like the added more quality, except for adding it at a higher range and what not.

I'll put some more time tweaking it today. I'll see if there is a big difference when everything is maxed.

So far, the biggest improvement I noticed is tessellation, the ones that depth to surfaces, is used a lot more than the original settings.

Ok, I went ahead and turned up every setting but Particle Shadows, because it said not to use it yet. It looked really good, and very playable, even in 3D Vision. I was mostly at 60 fps, with dips as low as 45.

The only problem I noticed was I had some missing textures from time to time. Usually on the sides of a map, but it looked pure white with no textures. Is this a known bug or a lack of ram/vram? This happens with or without 3D Vision.

Also, is there a way to turn off the highlighting of cars? It's quite annoying when you go up to a car that looks awesome, and the highlighting makes it look wrong.

SLI 680s? Jeallllllous. No I haven't found a way to disable the highlighting of objects - it really is annoying... We should ask Maldo to add that to the mod. And most of the extra detail is actually POM. Looks great, doesn't it? Also I love how sharp the textures are.

Anyways, I always crank up the sliders because I hate pop-in. Also those pure white objects are a known bug. You have to download the replacement MaLDoHD_C2_Setup.exe (Config Tool 3.0b) and overwrite the existing one in the mod - before you install. After this fix, there are only a handful of missing items. These have been noted and will be fixed in the final release.

*Edit - asked Maldo about the object highlighting. He's really good about responding.

Stringjam

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
Screenshot from custom user map AMC_Amazonia River.

For you Crysis fans who haven't dropped into this map before, you should DL it and give it a go. It's just a MP environmental map, but it is one of the most immersive jungle environments I've ever experienced. Screenshots never do it justice, because they don't capture how dynamic the vegetation movement, sound, and lighting are.

Sometimes I forget just how amazing a PC game can look and feel.

amazonia.jpg

Finally got around to play Crysis 2 again with the MaLDoHD 3.0b update. It seems to fix everything I noticed before. It looks pretty awesome. At first, my fps was reading low, then I saw my CPU clocks reset back to stock. After getting that fixed, I'm at max settings and seeing 50+ FPS in 3D Vision. It's awesome looking.

Just wanted to let everyone know:

MALDOHD 4.0 BETA IS HERE!!! http://maldotex.blogspot.com/

It's amazing, especially the new antialiasing options, but the gap between Vanilla DX11 and MaldoHD 3.0 was much greater than the gap between MaldoHD 3.0 and 4.0.

Also, Maldo definitely overestimates the intensiveness of the new release... I play on Ultra at the same framerate as 3.0 - which is 15% better than Vanilla DX11 Ultra.

Stringjam

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011

Downloading now......the screenshots look pretty mad.

Just played for 2 straight hours on Easy. It is truly the full realization of Crysis 2 as it was meant to be. A living, breathing, game world. You can stop every 10 feet and scrutinize any aspect of the environment - literally no faults. Well no medium to huge faults, that is. It just looks consistently good. I'd say it finally feels immersive the way Crysis + HD foliage and object mods does.

Crysis 1, then warhead then 2.

Im not sure if it was because i was too used to both crysis and crysis warhead, but i simply didnt enjoy crysis 2 at all (neve finished the game, ended up about 40% on the way).

For me crysis 2 was a call of duty with nanosuit and a make up on graphics.
I know most people wont agree with me, but thats just my opinion.
Crysis 1 still impresses me (thou its showing its ge by now), and im very sad that crytek abandoned Nomad and his story, as well as crysis form of gameplay.

I just wanted to go back to that island and wreck havok among the alines (it would actually be amazing if at some point you had to go to new york to continue your adventure, but not start a whole new story there...).

Another thing is that in crysis 1, when the final boss shows up.... that thing is huge, and the graphics are good enought to back it up. You actually get the feling that the damn thing is monstrous.

On the Warhead side, the als boss looked very small in comparison, and in crysis 2... well i never got to the end but i heard there is no boss?

Both crysis 1 and 2 have great visuals, but i feel like some of the crysis 2 technologies are just not there (particle system for destroyed objects? volumetric smoke? physx? I dont know, jsut felt like they were not there.)

On the other hand, crysis 1 had some bad coding :D.

Took a video of MaldoHD 4.0 on the first level.

(I'll have to try a 1080p video again - or upload an uncompressed version for full-screen full-detail viewing...) Well, you'll get the gist. (Plus you can just download and try it yourself!) Great high-res textures and plenty of fixes. Loving the new fabrics and the choose-your-color suit effects! Also, MSI Afterburner screenshots, framerate monitor, and video capture don't work with the mod for some reason, so I've strung a bunch of 30-second Fraps videos together. Hopefully it doesn't seem too ADD.

*Edit - looks like Afterburner works now, just have to use the OSD to enable compatibility with modified Direct3D runtime libraries. Because of the new SMAA option.

I tried to highlight some of the changes from 3.0 to 4.0. (Plus a glitch at 0:15 I wanted to point out to Maldo.) Oh, I'm also using Ultra settings, but with Reduced Tessellation (because I don't see the difference, and because of my GPU's lower tess performance.)

[flash=1024,600]http://www.youtube.com/v/TrIOJ-Hmp5E?version=3&hl=en_US[/flash]