Crysis vs Crysis Warhead vs Crysis 2 (PC)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Crysis vs Crysis Warhead vs Crysis 2 (PC)

• Crysis

Votes: 46 39.3%
  • Crysis Warhead

Votes: 17 14.5%
  • Crysis 2 (DX11)

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • I like all equally

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • I dislike all three

Votes: 7 6.0%

• Total voters

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

+1

Yeah, as bad as I hate to do it (seeing how I really love Crysis) I have to agree. Crysis is not that good story wise. Anytime a developer releases a comic book between games to fill in the blanks and set the stage for the upcoming game, well, let's just say that's a little flaky.

I can understand Nomad being killed off. He had the personality of Mr. Spock on Quaaludes.

I do kind of miss Psycho ("I'm british, you muppet!").

I also agree that Warhead looks the best, but only when compared to vanilla Crysis. As I stated before, I think Crysis has better graphics (but only when running Real Lifesis and the Natural Mod). The rocks still look terrible in Warhead, but the snow and cave levels were jaw dropping - I don't think I've ever seen anything that amazing.

I do have to disagree with Crysis being the weakest. I liked Crysis better than Warhead, but only because it was longer, and has a lot more mods (that's a big deal with me).

I will say this, I am running Crysis 2 in DX11 with the High-Res textures, and also using the MaLDo texture pack and blackfire mod. The game is a real crusher running it that way. That is how Crysis 2 is meant to be. And while I agree that among the vanilla versions, Warhead looks the best, a heavily modded Crysis 2 puts them all to shame, IMO.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

I liked it. It reminded me a lot of Prey (another one of my PC favorites). I thoroughly enjoyed floating around in zero gravity trying to find a way out and shooting aliens. The immersion in that level was what got me. Most immersive part of Crysis.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

Yeah, it was. And it was a six part book. Blah blah to make a long story short, at the end of the final comic, Jake Dunn aka Nomad jumps in front of a guided missile (or rocket, don't remember) saving both Prophet and Psycho. He died instantly. Rest in pieces, Jake.

Even though I don't believe it was in the comic (although I do know it, having learned it from somewhere), Michael Sykes aka Psycho is supposed to have died due to the nanosuit wreaking havoc on the body over time. Jacob Hargreave knew it would happen to all who wore his suit, but kept it hidden. Supposedly, the suit slowly uses you up (eventually killing you) and you become one with the suit, not being able to survive without it (think Anakin in the Darth Vader suit). This is what Prophet meant when he said, "I'm all used up. I'm a dead man walking. I'm...contaminated."

Yawn.

Planescape: Torment this is not.

For whatever reason this came up in another forum today, and this was my response:

I think Crysis 2 did some things right, but overall I felt it was very disapointing. Way too linear. I mean it was literally corridors. You'd expect after so many years they'd make a sequel that was "bigger and better" but instead it was... consolized.

Basically the few things Crysis 2 did better than the first was greatly overshadowed by it's formulaic gameplay and very boring/stupid story. Frankly, I didn't even finish it (I was quite close too).

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

I like the response you gave earlier. Very cool.

If you don't mind, I would like to give you my experience with Crysis...

"Wow! These graphics are...*checks framerate*...I'm going to have to upgrade."

*upgrades to a 5770*

"Wow, I can play it now...uh oh...*checks framerate*...looks like I'll have to turn AA off and settle for 20FPS..."

*upgrades to 6970*

"This game is awesome! I am finally getting better results now...wait, huh? Real Lifesis? Natural Mod? Max Immersion?"

*loads mods*

"OMG!!! This is amazi... *checks framerate* Ah...&%$#, you've got to be $@!%^#& kidding me! :pfff: "

*adds second 6970*

"Here we go, finally!"

*2 days later*

"That was... amazing."

-Now loading Crysis: Warhead-

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

I can certainly see your point, as I myself haven't exactly been the biggest fan of Crysis 2. I am not the biggest fan of the Crysis 2 "look". To me, it looks kinda blurry and pixelated. But...BUT... ...

You have to install the DX11 patch. You have to install the high res patch. You have to install the MaLDo texture pack. And you have to finish it off with the Blackfire mod. Crysis 2 DX11/High-Res/MaLDo/Blackfire is the only way to roll baby. I myself have only been playing the modded version for a couple of weeks. You have not experienced C2 until you've played it like that. Now I have to warn you, it is a beast of a game when played like that. It brings my Crossfire system to it's knees. But this is what C2 should have been to begin with, a system crusher for it's era just like the first game was. While vanilla, it is an embarrassment. But when it's properly modded, it's a graphical showcase and puts the other Crysis games to shame.

Give it a real go, and you won't be disappointed.

Edit: You're system is quite good, so you should be able to handle it (although you will probably have to disable AA to get it to run smoothly).

I tell you what I will do...

I will make a video of Crysis 2 running fully modded with a frame counter and GPU activity displayed. I will demonstrate how beastly this game is, and how pretty it is at the same time. The video should be up in a few hours (I have to make it and then upload it).

See ya' then.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

Sounds to me like Crysis the comic series did more to directly tarnish the series than any of the games individually could have ever done. lol

I'm cool with this, so long as the system crushing comes by way of mods. To expect a company that is trying to rise in the EA house (such as Crytek) to put out something that intentionally limits its audience on the simple matter of hardware above and beyond all the other reasons that a game can lose sales, is quite frankly ultra-unrealistic. I like the idea of a game that brings a good look on a well-optimized engine and an api open to mod-work by the fans though. Some of the best moments in Crysis can only be experienced in the ways that the fans envision them. Same for Crysis 2. I think leaving the game as a moddable engine is a nod toward fans that shows neither Crytek nor EA are in a rush to put people off on the series.

Thanks for the info about these mods btw. I hadn't really looked into extensively modding Crysis 2 myself beyond the original DX11 and Hi-Res packages (which together really brought the game up visually). Some of the work done in these mods is great and might warrant toying around with the game some more. On a sad note, I'll have to upgrade my graphics solution extensively before then. There is no way that a single 570 is going to play nice with all these badass mods.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

You might be surprised. You have your CPU clocked pretty high, much higher than mine, and the 570 is very nice. I think these mods may be more CPU intensive than GPU intensive (although I couldn't possibly know for sure), because neither GPU in crossfire really ever goes above 60% usage. Even so, my system crumbles. But you might be surprised.

I will post a video shortly. I'm starting on it right now...

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
I would if I were you.

You say that you already have the DX11 and High Res patch installed? In that case, here is what you'll need...

Install this one first...

http://www.fileplanet.com/221419/220000/fileinfo/Crysis-2---Maldo's-HD-Texture-Pack-Mod

All you have to do is run the application. No command line or anything else is needed. Just be sure to install it to your gamecrysis2 folder. The app will most likely try and install it elsewhere. So when it pops up and asks where you would like to install it, just click browse and change it to your gamecrysis 2 folder. It will be found wherever your Crysis 2 directory is. Mine, for instance, is Computer / Local Disk (C:) / Program Files (x86) / Origin games / Crysis 2 /gamecrysis2.

Next, install Blackfire's Mod...

http://www.fileplanet.com/221420/220000/fileinfo/Crysis-2---Blackfire's-Mod

Be sure and install it to your main Crysis 2 directory. For instance, mine is C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis 2. Unlike MaLDo's texture pack, Blackfire's Mod installer should already have the correct folder set as the default instillation.

I am uploading the video to youtube right now.

Stringjam

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
I love MalDo's mod (and the excellent config utility that comes with it), but I dont' really care for BlackFire's mod. The game already has color saturation and contrast that border on the edge of tastefulness, but the BlackFire mod takes it WAY over that line, IMO. It becomes very fatiguing to my eyes after awhile.

I made a Crysis 2 DX11 Ultra settings with HD mod video a while back

www.youtu.be/watch?v=K_M68W6xHs0&feature=related

So it runs fine on my PC. I'm definitely interested in these mods, although I already uninstalled the game lol.

I've never actually used any Crysis mods. I wanted to for the original but I didn't find out about them until after I already was done playing it, and then I couldn't seem to find a good source on the mods.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

Listen...

If you want to experience Crysis, download and install the Maximum Immersion mod which comes with Real Lifesis 2 and some other cool enhancments, and combine that with the Natural Mod CFG tweak.

If you want links and instructions I would be glad to give them to you, although it's pretty self explanatory.

Dude, broken link.

Mine didn't upload so I shortened it and it's almost done (it takes forever to upload HD videos).

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Here is my crossfire system handling (or being handled by) Crysis 2 with all the mods installed.

I had to shorten the video to get it to upload (HD videos take forever to upload), so I don't really get to show you everything, but you can see the game is beautiful.

Also, what's particularly relevant about this video is how my PC struggles at times (info in the top left corner).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmupVG1uPoU

Edit: Oh, and I did a BF3 benchmark with dual 6970s a while back. I did two benchmarks, actually. One with a single 6970, and one with crossfired 6970s. With BF3, I was getting as many frames with one 6970 that I get with Crysis 2 with two 6970s. So, as you can figure, it dwarfs BF3 in terms of which game is more demanding. But it stands to reason, Crysis 2 also looks infinitely better than BF3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xa5y6KUZO0&list=UUZXSZdGb3Su8RvR5QuRyeqw&index=2&feature=plcp

Stringjam

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011

The video does a good job of showing just how good Crysis2 looks with the mod textures and other MalDoH goodies. I still think overall it looks better than BF3.......and nobody models and skins weapons like CryTek. Amazing detail on their guns.

When I play BF3, I'm most impressed by the lighting. There's just something very beautiful about the light. If DICE would release a high-res texture pack for BF3, it would certainly make it a more impressive experience, but it wouldn't fix the fact that so many of the models are terrible. I thought with the implementation of tessellation we would start seeing these amazing models (at least when approached), but I can't really tell BF3 makes any use of it.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

BF3 makes decent use of tessalation. Particularly obvious in some of the metro areas where tiles line the walls. Can't compare it to Crysis 2 though. C2's tess is over the top, and probably the best use of tessalation that is out there for the time being.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

Hey, that was a nice video. Crysis 2 still looks good with just DX11 and High Res textures. But when you compare it with the video I made, IMO you can really see a major difference with the MaLDo pack and especially Blackfire's Mod. I would strongly recommend installing both next time you play C2 (I gave links and directions a few comments back).

Now, for Crysis...

http://planetcrysis.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Mods.Detail&id=12

Download and run the installer. It should already install to the correct directory, so don't worry. This is the natural mod, and although it is pretty sizable (200MB+), it is also a CFG tweak. Make sure you go into your Crysis game and set all the options and resolution to max before installing. Once installed, it should read "custom" on many of the graphics settings.

Next...

http://www.mediafire.com/?67dm05t49w3es75

Download the RAR and it should be a folder called "Mods". Open the folder and copy the "Maximum Immersion" folder. Go to your Crysis directory - for me it's Program Files/Steam/Steamapps/common/Crysis/mods - and paste it inside the mods folder. If you don't have a mods folder, create one.

Next, open up the shortcut and add -mod Maximum immersion to the target line. It should now read something similar to...

"C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\crysis\Bin32\Crysis.exe" -mod Maximum immersion

Load Crysis, and you are now playing with power.

To enable Hud, press L. To disable, press K.

The graphics are amazing. The immersion is amazing. And now you have the time of day mod, so when it's dark - it's realistic. Sneaking through the jungle at night, relying on the moon, your sense of sound, and NV goggles - it's quite an experience. This is how Crysis is meant to be played.

I envy you, I wish I could experience this for the first time again.

Anyway, enjoy.

Ok well... looks awesome! And my performance actually seems like it's way better than vanilla. I'm guessing the config tweaks made it a little less demanding or something. I was at 70-80fps yet with vanilla benchmark I was at around 62 avg or so.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

Wow.

That is good to hear.

I am glad you like it. Some people say it's too dark. What I really like the most is the way the light hits everything when it's morning and how rely on the moon and NV when it's dark (Hence, Real Lifesis).

Once you play it like that for a while, you will never go back to vanilla.

Also, when you have beaten it on Deta, send me a PM. I know an excellent AI mod that makes the enemies think like real soldiers (it's pretty hard).

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Mostly this is for Stringjam and PCGamer and people who just generally like to discuss things in the abstract regarding gaming.

Crysis, Crysis 2, Battlefield and Metro are all great games built around strong graphics. There's no debating it.

I have to say though, it's been a long time since I saw a game as gorgeous as Rayman Origins. I'd really recommend you guys look into this one. I was very hesitant to buy it for retail price but I've got to admit, it's one hell of a love letter to gaming. Trine 2 is about all I can think of that really rivals it for just outright obvious love from the developers. If either of you guys were into Earthworm Jim or Toejam & Earl, or any of those really fun platforming adventure games from yesteryear, you might just want to consider this game. Sonic Generations and Rayman Origins are leading the way for some great AAA revival 2d platformers imo. They also really open up the debate about how important art direction is vs. cutting edge graphics. You could play 4 hours of modded Crysis, turn on Rayman Origins, and still be impressed by how damned good it looks.

Sorry this is offtopic PCgamer. Just didn't feel like making a new thread that would somehow break down into an argument about 2d platformers so I decided to hide this in a thread that I know you guys are already reading instead. ;)

Stringjam

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011

You know, I still love to play a good platformer now and then....some of my best memories as a kid were sitting down to Metroid, SONIC, and SuperMarioBros. I own Trine 2, and it is a gorgeous game, and you bring up a good point about art direction. Games like this really hinge on having great art direction.

PCGamer and I were just talking about Alice: Madness Returns a bit ago, which is another really fun platformer (3D in this case), which has a really amazing atmosphere (and then there's the hair physics thing, which I always have to bring up when talking about this game ;) ).

I'll probably check out Rayman Origins as well. I noticed it allows local co-op play, which is cool, as my wife will actually sit down with me and play co-op platformers. We had a lot of fun playing Trine 2.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

I'm about 85% of the way through Alice: MR myself. Thoroughly enjoyed the game despite the mediocre reviews (that I don't think it deserved at all).