Crysis vs Crysis Warhead vs Crysis 2 (PC)

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Crysis vs Crysis Warhead vs Crysis 2 (PC)

• Crysis

Votes: 46 39.3%
  • Crysis Warhead

Votes: 17 14.5%
  • Crysis 2 (DX11)

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • I like all equally

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • I dislike all three

Votes: 7 6.0%

• Total voters

Well I was playing with the head phones. Maybe if I switch back to speakers, I wouldn't notice it much.

EDIT: It's now getting a little annoying. Every time I aim down, the sniper rifle fires! Every time I reload, same thing. Also, when I shoot with the FY71, the sounds doesn't appear to sync correctly. I shoot like 10-15 rounds, and I hear just 2 or 3 shots being fired.
However, this doesn't happen with the SCAR or the pistols.

Oh, and I love the weapon damage increase. :) Makes the game quite realistic. Although I had to turn down the resolution from 720p to 1024X768, to make the game run as good.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

Something isn't right.

You may have to do a fresh install like the one user had to do in order for it to work right.

Stringjam

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
Just in case anybody is unaware, when you reinstall Crysis......install both patches (Patch 1.2 and Patch 1.2.1) BEFORE you do any modding to your game.

Otherwise the patches will freak out and tell it can't install, and you'll have to start all over again.

Funny thing is, I run v1.0. I seem to be having no problems. Well, except those sounds.

Stringjam

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011

Hmm. I didn't think you could create a "mods" folder before installing Patch 1.2(?)

When you get into the Crysis main menu, is there a "Mods" tab on the side?

I had created one.
Works for me. The mods options doesn't show up in the main menu of the game though.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

That's fine, you can load the mods manually using the target line under shortcut properties.

There is one mod that has refused to cooperate with me.
Extreme Immersive mod.
I just don't know how to get it working! And that too, the mod looks really good.

Stringjam

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011

If you continue to have problems, you might consider installing the patches. I'm pretty sure one of them had something to do with the way the game handles the file structure in the "Mods" folder, so that could be causing your problems.

If you need the patches, just let me know and I'll host them for a bit....they're not very big.

I never could get along with the Extreme Immersive mod.....I didn't like the way it changed the aiming mechanics (I feel like it made them unrealistically difficult).

I also wasn't able to uninstall it.....had to do another fresh install afterwards.

The head bobbing, is mainly the reason why I want it actually. :)

Stringjam

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011

The headbobbing mod was definitely cool.....makes the game feel much more immersive! (Not sure why it didn't work for you in Maximum Immersion mod).

You might try the REALoaded mod I referenced earlier. It comes with an installer that makes getting it going a snap, and it includes the Maximum Immersion mod + Head bob + realistic weapons mod + AI tweaks, and even some nice texture packs. It's a pretty good setup for a completely overhauled Crysis experience without having to track down a bunch of individual mods.

Here's some screens from REALoaded (note the cool new skins for the vehicles)

realcrysis1.jpg

realcrysis2.jpg

realcrysis3.jpg

Also worth noting to anyone trying these mods.....if there is ONE SINGLE texture pack you need to add to your game, it's Silent's High-Res Foliage (I gave a link earlier). It completely transforms the vegetation in this game. You'll immediately notice the palm trees look 100% better...seriously....download it nao!! ;)

What about the two files for shader water and global ambient lighting that only have zz_ ? Should those be zzz_ as well?

Stringjam

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011

No....but this would be a good time for me to explain the whole zz_ thing.

If you'll notice, there are a bunch of different texture packs in those links, and some of the files in those packs overlap (since they're all made by different modders). When CryEngine starts the game and loads these texture files, it starts at the top of the list and works its way down. This loading order makes creating compatible mods really easy.

For example, by default, there is a file called Textures from CryTek in the list.

You'll notice down the list I've highlighted another texture pack, this is one of the high-res texture files made by Rygel......I want these textures to overwrite any textures in the previous CryTek file, so adding zz to the beginning drops it down the list.

The next highlighted file is the foliage texture file. Even though the previous highlighted file has some improved textures for foliage, the textures in this pack are far superior. I add zzz_ just to drop it down the list. Remember.....as CryEngine goes down the list, whatever is farther down is what ends up being used.....placing Silent's High-Res Foliage farther down the list guarantees that those will be the textures that end up finally being used.

Capture.PNG

Since the global ambient lighting.pak you're referring to isn't a texture file, its load order doesn't matter.

Stringjam

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
Here is possibly one of the biggest single visual overhauls you can give Crysis.........I've never really figured out if I like it or not, but some people here might be interested and like it.

This is a shader overhaul by XZero (you'll hear this name a lot in Crysis modding circles, as he seems to have a profound understanding of CryEngine, so much so I believe CryTek hired him).

You'll want to install this on a vanilla game....no custom configs or texture packs or anything else (I had problems using it with the texture packs, anyway....maybe I'm doing it wrong).

This basically makes Crysis look like a modern game. This makes the water and lighting look absolutely amazing, but I'm undecided on how I feel about how everything else looks, but it definitely gives the game a completely different, modern look (think more along the lines of something like BF3).

This file installs just like the global ambient lighting/ POM file in my earlier referenced post. You'll need to delete the ShaderCache.pak file and also the Shaders folder in MyDocuments/MyGames/Crysis.

http://source.crydev.net/download/file.php?id=79099

A few screens to demonstrate:

shader1.jpg

shader2.jpg

shader3.jpg

jrwizbang

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
I like them all equally as far as gameplay goes but considering graphics wise I would have to say Crysis 2 once you install the high res textures, etc. Take a look at these photos comparing.
And also Crysis 2 doesn't look god awful on console like many other games that were originally for pc not console.

Ad links removed - SS

Nice thread. I love all three Crysis games, though Crysis 2 is definitely a much different game. Tying the stories together better would've been nice. And keeping the aliens consistent... My first time through Crysis 2, I was like "elite, zealot, hunter, phantom, Flood."

Crysis 2 does feel a bit like Halo, but I like that about it! The only thing that absolutely sucks is the terrible textures - how do you release a game 3.5 years later that has overall worse textures than your last game? (Barring the boulders, that is...) PCgamer, I definitely know what you mean when you say Crysis and Warhead were more clear. Try dropping Post Processing to Very High (no FXAA) - that helped me.

I do love the mechanics of Crysis 2 - I agree with casualcolors on all points here, though I've gotten good at switching powers with the mousewheel in the first two. And shooting feels more real - more blood too!

I agree that Crysis 2 can be more cartoony/video gamey than the first two, but the HDR lighting can't be beat and SSDO really is amazing. I still love fooling around with the cvars in the first two games (mostly HDR/SSAO/shadows settings) and I wish Crytek had left the files more open in Crysis 2.

I like the wide levels in the first one. (Favorite moment of open-worldness in Crysis was the second level, jumping off the cliff into the ocean for fun, and swimming out to the tiny islands, then past the village, and skirting around it through a field into the forest beyond - expecting to hit an invisible wall the whole time. Eventually got a missile to the face, but I was like "wow this game is amazing.") Warhead was a slightly too action-packed for me - usually felt like I needed some more breathing room. Crysis 2 was a bit restrictive sometimes, but I don't mind linear games, and I loved that you can usually go vertical.

Cryengine 2 was and still is amazing, but its limits have been reached by modders, whereas Cryengine 3 seems incredibly untapped, even by the flagship game - though Crysis 2 mods are utilizing it better.

Also, Wolfram - "Nvidia paid to have tesselation set to **** you AMD levels" LOL! Crysis 2's tesselation is a joke and looks terrible. POM and water look great in DX11, but cap tess at 16x and the water still looks the same.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

Great post for starters. Can't believe someone actually seems to have read the whole damn thread and then responded to it. I thought that went out of style after everyone stopped posting on Worth.

Regarding the tessellation, it's actually amazing in Crysis 2 but only on cement, concrete and similar surfaces. I think that the water is actually the old parallax mapping style even though they call it surface tess (it's been called that since DX9 iirc). Could be wrong, but I do agree with you that you can't increase the appearance of the water simply by enabling tess. On the other hand, DX11's full scene reflection in puddles is pretty much the most ridiculous use of that feature ever :p

Haha, yeah it took me a while, but I seriously love these games, you guys are great, and this thread is surprisingly troll-free. I guess blind Crysis 2-hating has lost its appeal.

I agree with you about the concrete, but even when I'm looking at it thinking it looks very decent, I can't help but think of the hundreds of unnecessary triangles inserted by nVidia, just to drop the framerate in Radeon cards. And I wonder why it couldn't have just been handled by some creative POM - seems to have worked admirably with a lot of other surfaces in-game. I wonder a lot of things when it comes to the 1.9 patch and its counterparts...

Stringjam

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
It's funny, but one of the things that impresses me most about Crysis2 is the reflective surfaces like glass (puddles ;) ), etc......I just stare at amazement.

I think Crysis 1 would have had a huge amount to gain from proper implementation of DX11........the game really suffers from the object LoDs snapping in and out all over the place, it's really distracting for such a beautiful game.

Stringjam

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011

It will probably run fine on 1.2.

I believe the 1.2.1 patch mainly addressed multiplayer related stuff.