[SOLVED] CSM keeps ENABLING ITSELF & DRIVE NOT CONVERTING in GPT!!!

OMGiTxREALHASSAN

Reputable
Jun 28, 2019
I'm trying to install WINDOWS 11 and I've successfully enabled FTPM but because of CSM keeps enabling itself after reboot I even exit with the OPTION "SAVE AND RESTART" and because of it I can't enable SECURE BOOT.

I have another problem I've tried complete format multiple times on my boot drive with disk part and converted it to GPT and says "SUCCESSFULLY CONVERTED TO GPT", but when I check in DISK MANAGEMENT it show that the drive is MBR.

SYSTEM SPECS:

CPU : RYZEN 5 3600
MOBO: GIGABYTE A320M-S2H V2
RAM: GSKILL AEIGIS 2X8GB 3200

Edited: BIOS VERSION: F51

Last edited:
Solution

OMGiTxREALHASSAN

Reputable
Jun 28, 2019
A quick update, I tried to convert my BOOT DERIVE with MBR2GPT,it validated with no problems and it also converted with no problem but it said I've to change my BIOS MODE to UEFI from LEGACY and I checked my BIOS MODE was on LEGACY, I tried to find some way to change the BIOS MODE but I couldn't find it and now its showing me the error that "INSERT BOOT DEVICE BLUH BLUH BLUH... CLICK ANY KEY BLUH BLUH BLUH".

I'm not worried about that ERROR, I got it several times today whenever I tried to convert my boot drive to GPT, I now have to reinstall FRESH WINDOWS COMPLETELY but its 4:00 am in my country so I'll do it tomorrow morning but please can you guys please help me in enabling UEFI MODE.

A quick update, I tried to convert my BOOT DERIVE with MBR2GPT,it validated with no problems and it also converted with no problem but it said I've to change my BIOS MODE to UEFI from LEGACY and I checked my BIOS MODE was on LEGACY, I tried to find some way to change the BIOS MODE but I couldn't find it and now its showing me the error that "INSERT BOOT DEVICE BLUH BLUH BLUH... CLICK ANY KEY BLUH BLUH BLUH".

I'm not worried about that ERROR, I got it several times today whenever I tried to convert my boot drive to GPT, I now have to reinstall FRESH WINDOWS COMPLETELY but its 4:00 am in my country so I'll do it tomorrow morning but please can you guys please help me in enabling UEFI MODE.
IIRC...there's another ugliness....

You have to install Windows so it creates the EFI partition, system partition as well as a recovery partition. The install process will put the boot files in the EFI partition so that it can enable UEFI.

Unless someone has a process for doing that after the fact I'm pretty sure it can only happen during install. I'm not sure if a 'repair install with inplace upgrade' will do it so you may have to do a clean install.

OMGiTxREALHASSAN

Reputable
Jun 28, 2019
IIRC...there's another ugliness....

You have to install Windows so it creates the EFI partition, system partition as well as a recovery partition. The install process will put the boot files in the EFI partition so that it can enable UEFI.

Unless someone has a process for doing that after the fact I'm pretty sure it can only happen during install. I'm not sure if a 'repair install with inplace upgrade' will do it so you may have to do a clean install.
Can you guide me through the full process STEP BY STEP how do I install the windows so I it will put the boot file to EFI PARTITION? I'm asking this because I've been trying to CONVERT my BOOT DRIVE to GPT since the last 14-15 hours with different softwares , DISK PART & MBR2GPT but I always stuck at this point.

If you can guide me step by step then I might find what I was doing wrong the whole time.

Can you guide me through the full process STEP BY STEP how do I install the windows so I it will put the boot file to EFI PARTITION? I'm asking this because I've been trying to CONVERT my BOOT DRIVE to GPT since the last 14-15 hours with different softwares , DISK PART & MBR2GPT but I always stuck at this point.

If you can guide me step by step then I might find what I was doing wrong the whole time.
I thought you'd converted the drive to GPT already?

If not, did you download a free trial copy of the Partition Manager software I linked to earlier? It has a tool for converting without data loss. If it no longer works, I don't know of any way short of clean install of Windows.

If it will do the conversion, I'd try the repair install I linked above first. It has detailed instructions. IF nothing works, and clean install is the only way, then backup files and go for it. I gave up keeping user files and apps on the system drive to make clean installs a lot easier for this sort of reason.

OMGiTxREALHASSAN

Reputable
Jun 28, 2019

If not, did you download a free trial copy of the Partition Manager software I linked to earlier? It has a tool for converting without data loss. If it no longer works, I don't know of any way short of clean install of Windows.
Yeah! They don't let you convert the disk in trial version, so I cracked it 😅 and I tried again it said successfully converted but when I rebooted it was MBR not GPT.

I've tried multiple softwares all of them successfully convert the drive but when the pc boots up it shows that the drive is still MBR.

Reactions: OMGiTxREALHASSAN
Solution

OMGiTxREALHASSAN

Reputable
Jun 28, 2019

If it will do the conversion, I'd try the repair install I linked above first. It has detailed instructions. IF nothing works, and clean install is the only way, then backup files and go for it. I gave up keeping user files and apps on the system drive to make clean installs a lot easier for this sort of reason.
No. No No! Don't worry about the clean Installation I've cleaned my HARD DRIVE SEVERAL TIMES today just to convert the drive but no luck. The first time when I cleared my drive, that was pretty hard but there wasn't any way so I did it and now I have no data to lose so be free and tell me the clean Installation way.

No. No No! Don't worry about the clean Installation I've cleaned my HARD DRIVE SEVERAL TIMES today just to convert the drive but no luck. The first time when I cleared my drive, that was pretty hard but there wasn't any way so I did it and now I have no data to lose so be free and tell me the clean Installation way.
You might need to initialize the disk.

In the list of methods in the TENFORUMS tutorial...use the DISKPART method, since it appears you can install that disk in another system and access it. DISKPART is about as low level as it gets...and dangerous. Be CERTAIN you know the disk layout of your system so you get on the right disk before you start comitting changes.

OMGiTxREALHASSAN

Reputable
Jun 28, 2019
I've tried all of these way
You might need to initialize the disk.

In the list of methods in the TENFORUMS tutorial...use the DISKPART method, since it appears you can install that disk in another system and access it. DISKPART is about as low level as it gets...and dangerous. Be CERTAIN you know the disk layout of your system so you get on the right disk before you start comitting changes.
I only have one disk and I tried it too, but no luck. And there's another factor that might affect the conversion do you know if GIGABYTE A320M-S2H V2 supports UEFI or not?

The only way that seemed most prominent to me is the MBR2GPT but after the the conversion it says to change BIOS MODE to UEFI from LEGACY and I don't know how to do that.

I've tried all of these way

I only have one disk and I tried it too, but no luck. And there's another factor that might affect the conversion do you know if GIGABYTE A320M-S2H V2 supports UEFI or not?
I'd have to say 'yes'. After all, it has the options in BIOS...should be self evident.

To see if I understand...the disk has been CLEANED using diskpart and you've tried to convert and it doesn't. Is there some sort of physical write protect on your drive to prevent this?

If you're working in Windows, you have to be in a command prompt with admin rights to do this too.

This is as low-level as it gets. This is the stuff I used to do in MS-DOS, so if it needs more than DISKPART then I'm completely at a loss.

Last edited:

OMGiTxREALHASSAN

Reputable
Jun 28, 2019
I'd have to say 'yes'. After all, it has the options in BIOS...should be self evident.

To see if I understand...all the partitions are deleted from the disk and you've tried to convert and it doesn't. And apparently, you can't initialize the disk using diskpart...is there some sort of physical write protect on your drive to prevent this?
I can initialize the disk from DISKPART that's how I clear the drive, because I'm stuck at the error where I can't boot into my PC and I can't even boot into BIOS because my keyboard and mouse doesn't start when I try to boot up, then I've an old version of windows 10 stored in my USB, there's no MBR2GPT in that version so I use DISK PART to clear the drive.

I can initialize the disk from DISKPART that's how I clear the drive, because I've an old version of windows 10 stored in my USB, there's no MBR2GPT in that version so I use DISK PART to clear the drive.
Still in DISKPART, with the disk SELECTED, do the CLEAN then do the CONVERT GPT.

You do this all in DISKPART, not MBR2GPT.

Another way to show it...all on one screen.

JUST BE SURE TO "SELECT" THE RIGHT DISK!!!!!

https://macrorit.com/partition-magic-manager/initialize-disk-gpt-mbr-from-cmd-diskpart.html

OMGiTxREALHASSAN

Reputable
Jun 28, 2019

To see if I understand...the disk has been CLEANED using diskpart and you've tried to convert and it doesn't. Is there some sort of physical write protect on your drive to prevent this?

If you're working in Windows, you have to be in a command prompt with admin rights to do this too.

This is as low-level as it gets. This is the stuff I used to do in MS-DOS, so if it needs more than DISKPART then I'm completely at a loss.
Correction! Disk Part and EVERY OTHER METHOD I TRIED, SUCCESSFULLY CONVERTED THE DRIVE TO GPT without any errors but after their process I reboot my pc because all this conversation thingy is done in WINDOWS P.E , after booting up when I go to DISK MANAGEMENT and check the VOLUME TAB it always shows MBR. Do you still think its because of some physical write protection or something else?

OMGiTxREALHASSAN

Reputable
Jun 28, 2019
I can initialize the disk from DISKPART that's how I clear the drive, because I'm stuck at the error where I can't boot into my PC and I can't even boot into BIOS because my keyboard and mouse doesn't start when I try to boot up, then I've an old version of windows 10 stored in my USB, there's no MBR2GPT in that version so I use DISK PART to clear the drive.
BTW! I've a 2tb BARACUDA 7200rpm HDD and I don't know much about it.

OMGiTxREALHASSAN

Reputable
Jun 28, 2019
Still in DISKPART, with the disk SELECTED, do the CLEAN then do the CONVERT GPT.

You do this all in DISKPART, not MBR2GPT.

Another way to show it...all on one screen.

JUST BE SURE TO "SELECT" THE RIGHT DISK!!!!!

https://macrorit.com/partition-magic-manager/initialize-disk-gpt-mbr-from-cmd-diskpart.html

There are some extra commands written in this thread that you've shared they're not not very important but I'll them a try, and do you know if we can enable UEFI in the BIOS first then use the disk part and install windows . Maybe this is the issue, I don't know I'm just guessing.

Or we can't change the BIOS MODE unless the drive is GPT?

There are some extra commands written in this thread that you've shared they're not not very important but I'll them a try, and do you know if we can enable UEFI in the BIOS first then use the disk part and install windows . Or we can't change the BIOS MODE unless the drive is GPT? Maybe this is the issue, I don't know I'm just guessing.
Use the commands as shown, but select the right disk. You have to do a CLEAN first, to return the disk to raw state, then convert to GPT in the sequence shown.

Do not bother creating a partition, it's irrelevant. When Windows installs you'll use options to delete any existing partitions any way and create new ones. It will handle the rest.

OMGiTxREALHASSAN

Reputable
Jun 28, 2019
There are some extra commands written in this thread that you've shared they're not not very important but I'll them a try, and do you know if we can enable UEFI in the BIOS first then use the disk part and install windows. Maybe this is the issue, I don't know I'm just guessing.
Use the commands as shown, but select the right disk. You have to do a CLEAN first, to return the disk to raw state, then convert to GPT in the sequence shown.

Do not bother creating a partition, it's irrelevant. When Windows installs you'll use options to delete any existing partitions any way and create new ones. It will handle the rest.
I never create partitions and I only have one drive .

Then? Just SELECT CORRECT DRIVE & CONVERT GPT?
You run diskpart
LIST DISK to see list of disks in system
SELECT the disk you want
CLEAN to clean the disk
CONVERT GPT to convert to gpt
EXIT

there are some other informational commands so that you can see what the properties of disks and partitions are. use HELP to find them and use them to know if the convert took. It's all very command-line oriented, use HELP to find the commands and syntax. Pretty standard stuff.

As I said, this is a dangerous tool. It can take silly commands and do damage without ever balking. Never use it in a system with a lot of disks with valuable data unless you know precisely what you're about.

Last edited:
I've done everything like you just written above. But I'll give it a try & update you again later this morning I'm really very tried now. Thanks for the help. See you again after some hours of SWEET DREAMS.
Well...you'll see this first thing I hope.

Before start, just reset CMOS. Put it in an 'out-of-box' condition so we know nothing there is causing any problems.

Running DISKPART only go through the CLEAN without a CONVERT, then EXIT. It will be CLEAN of any partitions and in a RAW state so not recognized by Windows. Go into Disk Manager and you'll see it as an UNKNOWN disk. Right click on the left box at the lower section and select to INITIALIZE then be sure to tick the GPT radio button.

Once done with that, remove your USB with WinPE on it and boot the system into BIOS and be sure it's set to UEFI mode but change nothing else. Then put in the USB drive with your Windows installation media and reboot; it should automatically go into setup on the installation media. When installing select the options for creating new partitions as needed (of course). It should set up for a UEFI install. Once set up, confirm it's GPT by booting to Windows and going into Disk Manager and right clicking on the left box of the drive.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
when you ran mbr2gpt, did you run validate first?

mbr2gpt /validate

as if it passes, then you just run

mbr2gpt /convert

and it should convert disk. then you set up bios to be UEFI.

I don't know how it can switch back to MBR after this step but you not only one I seen recently who said that.
Do you have more than 1 drive? take out all others except C drive and try. it could be a boot partition is on another drive as well. that could confuse things.

Last edited:
Reactions: OMGiTxREALHASSAN

TRENDING THREADS