Ryzen 7 3800x
32 gb ddr4 (16x2)
Gigabyte B550I Aorus pro AX motherboard
Gigabyte RTX 3060 12gb
EVGA SuperNOVA 550 GM, 80 Plus Gold 550W PSU
Evga CLC 120mm aio
And 1tb NVMe SSD and a 1tb standard SSD
All crammed into a Hyte Revolt 3.
The computer was working pretty well and I didnt have any issues with it. I did notice it was running a little hot though, so I decided to upgrade my cooler to a SilverStone VIDA 240 Slim.
After carefully uninstalling my EVGA AIO, I installed the SilverStone cooler. I made sure all the fans and RBG cables are properly connected, and then double checked all my previous cable management, all while the PC was disconnected from the power cord. I went to replug in my power cord, turned on the power switch, got some fans spinning, but then NEVER TURNED ON. I got no image on my monitor, fans quickly turned OFF, and then my front case power button began to steadily blink on and off. Not in any particular rhythm.
I did some research to see if other people had similar research and went to trouble shooting.
I rechecked my wiring, made sure no motherboard pins were bent or shorting out, reconnected all the parts(RAM, GPU, powersupply,CPU,etc), uninstalled the SILVERSTONE cooler and went back to my EVGA cooler (that didnt work), and changed my thermal pad to thermal paste (which i know people have opinions on, i have never had an issue with a thermal pad). Each thing I tried came to the same result.

Did I fry my CPU on accident? I only get the case power button flashing and no fan spin at all anymore.
I dont have another computer handy to individually test these parts. Any thoughts and advice will be incredibly appreciated!
Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
EVGA 550 GM is a bit weak to run RTX 3060, whereby 650W PSU would suit better. This is due to transient power spikes of RTX 30-series. Also, build quality wise, 550 GM is mediocre quality. Fine when running office PC without dedicated GPU, but not enough build quality for gaming rigs.

In any event, and since you're running Ryzen build, one of the following, or all of them, are dead: CPU, MoBo, RAM, GPU, PSU.

At this point, i suggest that you haul your PC to PC repair shop and pay them for diagnostics + fix.
Component replacement would be in order. Depending what is toast, it's either cheap of expensive fix.

Last ditch effort would be trying with only 1 RAM stick installed. It may bring life to your PC, or it may not. Doesn't hurt to test.

As of what might have happened; hard to say. Most likely suspect would be ESD, especially due to:
all while the PC was disconnected from the power cord.
If you remove the power cord, there is 0 grounding within the PC itself. And with this, it would be easy to short the electronics with ESD.
If PC would've been plugged in via power cord, but you instead flip the PSU switch, grounding of PC would've remained.

Either it was ESD, of your PSU decided to give up the ghost. And it being mediocre quality, also fried something else as well. Hence why never cheap out on PSU, since after all, PSU powers everything and thus, is the most important component inside the PC.

Reactions: Brazilboy11
Sep 2, 2023
EVGA 550 GM is a bit weak to run RTX 3060, whereby 650W PSU would suit better. This is due to transient power spikes of RTX 30-series. Also, build quality wise, 550 GM is mediocre quality. Fine when running office PC without dedicated GPU, but not enough build quality for gaming rigs.

In any event, and since you're running Ryzen build, one of the following, or all of them, are dead: CPU, MoBo, RAM, GPU, PSU.

At this point, i suggest that you haul your PC to PC repair shop and pay them for diagnostics + fix.
Component replacement would be in order. Depending what is toast, it's either cheap of expensive fix.

Last ditch effort would be trying with only 1 RAM stick installed. It may bring life to your PC, or it may not. Doesn't hurt to test.

As of what might have happened; hard to say. Most likely suspect would be ESD, especially due to:

If you remove the power cord, there is 0 grounding within the PC itself. And with this, it would be easy to short the electronics with ESD.
If PC would've been plugged in via power cord, but you instead flip the PSU switch, grounding of PC would've remained.

Either it was ESD, of your PSU decided to give up the ghost. And it being mediocre quality, also fried something else as well. Hence why never cheap out on PSU, since after all, PSU powers everything and thus, is the most important component inside the PC.
Thank you for all the advice! The PSU still cost me like $100+ so I was hopping it wouldn't be that. But makes sense that it could be. In my circumstances I cant test everything so finding a good repair shop might be my best bet :/
I’ll find one soon and make sure to post the results for anybody in the future who has a similar issue.

Reactions: Aeacus

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
The PSU still cost me like $100+ so I was hopping it wouldn't be that.
Today, 100 bucks for PSU is almost peanuts. Prices have gone up and now, good quality units cost ~150 or so.

Though, best is to look at PSU Tier list, where anything from Tier A will do,
link: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...er-list-rev-14-8-final-update-jul-21.3624094/

Your EVGA GM is Tier B, hence why mediocre quality.

Btw, the PSU i have: Seasonic PRIME TX-650, costed me €206.50 ($222.97), 7 years ago. At current date, you're looking easy 300 bucks for one PRIME TX-650.

Reactions: Brazilboy11

TRENDING THREADS