Damaged Drive Utility

I have a drive that Windows reports as having a bad block. I'd like to
retrieve off it whatever I can.

Is there any software utility for pulling off as much data as possible?
All the utilities I've found seem to be primarily for retrieving deleted
files. I'm after the existing files, and I'm willing to sort out which
are usable later by myself. The problem is that whatever I try to use to
access the drive tends to get bogged deeply in the error routines.

Any help appreciated.

If it matters, the drive is a Samsung SV8004H, running under Windows XP
Pro SP2.

I'm trying to avoid spending $150 on a software package to find that it
does not retrieve the files I need it to.

--
Chris Rehm
chris@mammothdungeons.com

It's your dungeon, make it Mammoth!

I believe the safest option is to remove the drive (don't even boot the host
machine) and install it as a slave drive on another system. Then use an
imaging product (I prefer Acronis True Image) to make a block-level copy
image, and work from that. BootitING has a free trial period, but is more
complex to figure out.

--
####################
## PH, London
"Chris Rehm" <chris@mammothdungeons.com> wrote in message
>I have a drive that Windows reports as having a bad block. I'd like to
>retrieve off it whatever I can.
>
> Is there any software utility for pulling off as much data as possible?
> All the utilities I've found seem to be primarily for retrieving deleted
> files. I'm after the existing files, and I'm willing to sort out which are
> usable later by myself. The problem is that whatever I try to use to
> access the drive tends to get bogged deeply in the error routines.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> If it matters, the drive is a Samsung SV8004H, running under Windows XP
> Pro SP2.
>
> I'm trying to avoid spending $150 on a software package to find that it
> does not retrieve the files I need it to.
>

> --
> Chris Rehm
> chris@mammothdungeons.com
>
> It's your dungeon, make it Mammoth!