[SOLVED] Dead motherboard? How can I tell

Oct 6, 2020
Hi all thanks for your time :)
Recently on my other threads you can probably see by pressing on my profile about it idk lol.
After my power supply instantly shutting off because I had something wrong plugged in (it’s modular) it has never turned on again, don’t worry I paper clip tested it and the psu is not at fault, how can I tell if a motherboard is dead

Solution
If you are certain the PSU is good...and also certain that the power switch on the case and the leads to the motherboard from the switch are good....I think chances are really good that the motherboard is the problem.
Hi all thanks for your time :)
Recently on my other threads you can probably see by pressing on my profile about it idk lol.
After my power supply instantly shutting off because I had something wrong plugged in (it’s modular) it has never turned on again, don’t worry I paper clip tested it and the psu is not at fault, how can I tell if a motherboard is dead
It could be the CPU...or a GPU if one is plugged in. Or even memory DIMM or a drive (very much an outside chance but possible.)

Just turning 'on' with the paperclip doesn't mean the PSU can hold a load, so it could still be defective.

I'd take everything off the board...no cpu, no gpu, no memory. Not even any drives or fans. It should turn on but fail POST and just kind of sit there with lights on. If it does the same thing then it's either PSU or motherboard but more likely the motherboard. Unless it's an old/sketch/undersized PSU then that's the fave thing to hate on around here.

If it sits there with lights on then start adding things one at a time until it shuts down instantly, that's probably the bad part.

Don't make people chase down other threads: what is you full system specs? cpu, gpu, mobo, psu in particular

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2020
If you are certain the PSU is good...and also certain that the power switch on the case and the leads to the motherboard from the switch are good....I think chances are really good that the motherboard is the problem.
Damn alright Thankyou for that just needed a second opinion, it’s a lga1150 motherboard and not much people seem to have them haha.
It could be the CPU...or a GPU if one is plugged in. Or even memory DIMM or a drive (very much an outside chance but possible.)

Just turning 'on' with the paperclip doesn't mean the PSU can hold a load, so it could still be defective.

I'd take everything off the board...no cpu, no gpu, no memory. Not even any drives. It should turn on but fail POST and just kind of sit there. If it does the same thing then it's either PSU or motherboard but more likely the motherboard.

Don't make people chase down other threads: what is you full system specs? cpu, gpu, mobo, psu in particular
I’ve got an i5 4430 16gb 1333mhz Kingston 4gb x 4 sticks. A Radeon HD 6950 2gb and a Corsair rm550x
I’ve got plenty of other motherboards so I could try plug the psu into those and see I guess

Damn alright Thankyou for that just needed a second opinion, it’s a lga1150 motherboard and not much people seem to have them haha.

I’ve got an i5 4430 16gb 1333mhz Kingston 4gb x 4 sticks. A Radeon HD 6950 2gb and a Corsair rm550x
I’ve got plenty of other motherboards so I could try plug the psu into those and see I guess
That's gonna be a good PSU brand/model and I'm assuming it's enough for the CPU/GPU. If you've tried it with everything pulled and it still shuts off immediately then swapping the PSU would eliminate that. But I"m leaning to the mobo too, now.

Oct 6, 2020
That's gonna be a good PSU brand/model and I'm assuming it's enough for the CPU/GPU. If you've tried it with everything pulled and it still shuts off immediately then swapping the PSU would eliminate that. But I"m leaning to the mobo too, now.
Yeah I’m going to try tomorrow with another motherboard and cpu because the power supply should be fine I hope