Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 5, 2021
Hi All,

Last weekend my PC would switch on for approx 6 seconds, shut down then get stuck in an boot loop.
Long story short after a few days of testing came to the conclusion the motherboard has failed or is shorting somewhere (nothing has physically changed since it worked fine?)

Initially no startup at all (no light/fan) so checked power button hadn't come loose etc. and all good. Swapped CMOS battery on the MB and after this the fans spin/motherboard/peripherals light up and it attempts to boot/shuts down after a few seconds and loops this until the power button is held down with no boot to BIOS or video output (via onboarding graphics or GPU - black screen although the monitor detects when it's unplugged from the PC).
This boot loop still occurs when only the PSU/CPU and 1 stick of RAM are connected as well (still no video or BIOS available even if pressing F12/F8 etc.) which narrows it down to CPU or MB and repair guy tested the PSU which was apparently fine.

Unfortunately don't have a speaker in this mobo or another I can use to see if there are any POST beep codes, also there is no video output via DVI or HDMI (via mobo or GPU.

Vid of boot loop

Any recommendations on what to go for as a replacement (and/or other things to try)?

Current build is:
  • CPU - Intel i5 6600K SR2L4 (3.50GHz)
  • Cooler - Akasa AK‑959 CPU Cooler
  • Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI
  • GPU - Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
  • RAM - Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-21300 2666MHz
  • SSD - SK hynix 250GB
  • HDD - Seagate DB35 2TB
  • Optical Drive - ASUS DRW-24D5MT
  • PSU - Novatech 600W v2 ATX (80+ Bronze)
  • Case - Corsair SPEC-03 ATX Mid Tower Case
  • OS - Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Pre-built PC I purchased end of 2016, no major issues until now.

Tried to use PCPartPicker to find compatible boards but half of my components aren't listed on there (assume no longer manufactured?)

Any help is appreciated.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You sure the PSU is not at fault? Does the issue crop up when you don't have a discrete GPU populating the system, while on the iGPU alone? If you've no breadboarded the system, breadboard the system with the bare minimum components, with only one stick of ram and the OS drive.

repair guy tested the PSU which was apparently fine.
Out of curiosity, was the paper clip test used to verify if the PSU was...fine?

Also, why do you have a rebranded stock cooler on the CPU? You should be having something more beefier, like a Cryorig H7 or a Hyper 212 or a 240mm AIO.

Jacozeelie

Respectable
Mar 1, 2019
Well, they say they test the psu. Test to what? I made a test rig for psu with light bulbs and dead pc parts to draw the max power a psu can deliver and check the power draw from wall socket and power draw from psu. Most of then either die or switch off when pulling 50% of advertised current. Do you have a diffrent psu you can test?

Apr 5, 2021
I don't have another PSU to try with, I'm not sure what tests the guy did as I left it with him due to his job schedule. I've done the paperclip test myself (successful) but don't have a way to actually check if the output is more than lights/fans etc.

I'm a bit hesitant to breadboard but guess will have to try it at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.