Hello I just got a Dell 5160 Note Book computer the first note book I have
ever owned has anyone had any problems with theres yet?

Just wondering, also I have a router downstairs in my office and use my lap
top up stairs alot, but if I tend to walk next store to my friends home,
even with the wireless card , I can get no signal, is there a limit in feet
or yards you can go before you lose signal?

Thank You
A.Patti

Wireless range depends on terrain, construction, and type (B or G is
shorter range than A).

The 51xx series does have a reputation for running hot - overheating
even - keep the heatsink clear of dust at all times.

Augustino Patti wrote:
> Hello I just got a Dell 5160 Note Book computer the first note book I have
> ever owned has anyone had any problems with theres yet?
>
> Just wondering, also I have a router downstairs in my office and use my lap
> top up stairs alot, but if I tend to walk next store to my friends home,
> even with the wireless card , I can get no signal, is there a limit in feet
> or yards you can go before you lose signal?
>
> Thank You
> A.Patti

If you are going through walls maybe 30 to 100 feet.

Depends on what type of material the signal has to travel through as well.

--
JLA ENTERPRISES TECHNOLOGIES INTEGRATION
Technical Support Team

Visit our forums for FREE technical support at
http://jlaenterprises.ath.cx/phpbb2/index.php

Check out some of the items we are offering
Dell Laptop Docking Stations starting at $5.00
Dell 20" Sony Trinitron Flat Screen Monitors starting at $35.00
Dell 21" Flat Screen Monitors starting at $40.00
Dell Latitude and Inspiron CD Rom and Floppy Drives starting at $5.00

Be sure to visit http://www.jlaenterprises.com

"Augustino Patti" <apattijr@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Hello I just got a Dell 5160 Note Book computer the first note book I have
> ever owned has anyone had any problems with theres yet?
>
> Just wondering, also I have a router downstairs in my office and use my
> lap top up stairs alot, but if I tend to walk next store to my friends
> home, even with the wireless card , I can get no signal, is there a limit
> in feet or yards you can go before you lose signal?
>
> Thank You
> A.Patti

"Augustino Patti" <apattijr@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Hello I just got a Dell 5160 Note Book computer the first note book I have
> ever owned has anyone had any problems with theres yet?
>
> Just wondering, also I have a router downstairs in my office and use my
> lap top up stairs alot, but if I tend to walk next store to my friends
> home, even with the wireless card , I can get no signal, is there a limit
> in feet or yards you can go before you lose signal?
>
> Thank You
> A.Patti

hi
I have 5160 also, just a few weeks old. Previous to that I have used a range
of Latitude CPi/CSx which ran fine. Yes the 5160 can get quite 'warm' but
with a P4 HT 2.8 cpu that's not too surprising. So far I have had no
problems, and am relaxed about that aspect.

As for wireless, I bought a Linksys WAG54G coupled with a matched PCMCIA
card and it works just fine. Sometimes XP whines that no connection can be
found as the PC is cranked up, but every time the connection kicks in a few
seconds later anyway. Range has been fine with no rooms causing a problem in
my house. WAG54G is downstairs where I have phone and power points and it
all seems quite happy, and is just in the middle of some marathon downloads
(2 days+ uptime with no issues)

cheers
Dave

hi. a month later...any issues with your 5160? thanks