Question Dell Inspiron does not start -- no power indicator on laptop

Mahesh Abnave

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2013
I have Dell inspiron 5559 and I am having exact same issue as this one.

I short, when I connect my adapter to my laptop, it does not turn ON. The adapter has green LED on its brick which turns ON when I connect it to main power supply. So, at least adapter brick is getting power. But dont know if wire connecting brick to laptop is faulty?

Also recently plastic part inside laptops power jack came out. I made a mini video of it here. I damaged wall of this plastic piece a bit while trying to insert it back inside the power jack. So I am hesitating to try it again. Actually I dont know how I can fit it back inside power jack.

Q1. Will love if someone tells me that or provide some high resolution image of how it fits inside power jack. Also notice that there are four pins inside power jack one of which ended up damaging the plastic piece a bit.

Q2. Also can I connect power adapter directly to laptop without this plastic piece inside the socket. I am worried if I cannot and if I end up damaging motherboard.

Q3. How can I fix this issue? Any set of steps / suggestions?

PS: I dont have similar laptop or adapter available readily.

Some pics of the plastic piece inside laptop power jack:
image.png

image.png

You can see the a bit damage it incurred while I tried to fit it back in the power jack of laptop in this pic:

image.png

Last edited:

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
You have to replace the jack. Take it to an electronic parts store and see if they can help. If it's not standard tghen you might have to contact Dell to see if you can get another one. Or take it to a laptop repair company.