[SOLVED] Dell P t5400 & modern games

Dec 4, 2020
Hi there. I'm new here so... There's that.
I just received a Dell_Precision_T5400 and I was wondering:
Can I upgrade this pc well enough to play modern games like GTA V, Mortal Kombat X, Forza 7 and more.
If so, then what GPU, CPU, and so would be good enough to run these games?

My current specs:
Xeon CPU E5410 @ 2.33GHz 2.33GHz
4GB DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3600 512MB
320GB HDD

So, can I upgrade the dell precision t5400 well enough so that I can play modern games? If so than what is the right hardware I should buy?

Solution
Thank you for the reply. There's one more thing:
I have a chance to get my hands on the Lenovo ThinkCentre M93p.
Specs:

Intel Core i7-4770 3.4Ghz
8GB DDR4 RAM
500GB Hard Drive
USB 3.0
DVD-RW
Display Port & VGA
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

Is it worth buying this desktop and upgrade it well enough to play modern games?
If so then which gpu would you recommend?

CPU is not bad, but those motherboards use a custom power connector so you need adapters, and the board may have issues with add-on video cards being recognized or working properly.

In general, unless you know exactly what you are doing, getting an OEM build with the goal of upgrading it can cost more at the end with things not working or needing to upgrade too many things...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

In all fairness, that should be retired or put up on a shelf for posterities sake. Regardless of how much you upgrade that platform you won't be able to get satisfactory levels of gaming off of that platform.

If you also did a calc, the amount of resources spent would actually equate to you investing in a concurrent lower TDP build that can run the above titles without sweating.

Unfortunately, this platform is basically lga775 era performance and won't be even close for anything modern unless you're running 640x480.

That being said, because these workstations could take copious amounts of ram, they are still good for daily computing, just not anything intensive due to the slower single thread performance of the cpu compared to modern ones:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E5410+@+2.33GHz&id=1232

Dec 4, 2020
Specs:

8GB DDR4 RAM
500GB Hard Drive
USB 3.0
DVD-RW
Display Port & VGA
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

Is it worth buying this desktop and upgrade it well enough to play modern games?

Jan 24, 2021
Hi there. I'm new here so... There's that.
I just received a Dell_Precision_T5400 and I was wondering:
Can I upgrade this pc well enough to play modern games like GTA V, Mortal Kombat X, Forza 7 and more.
If so, then what GPU, CPU, and so would be good enough to run these games?

My current specs:
Xeon CPU E5410 @ 2.33GHz 2.33GHz
4GB DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3600 512MB
320GB HDD

So, can I upgrade the dell precision t5400 well enough so that I can play modern games? If so than what is the right hardware I should buy?

You can. I just played Star Wars Battlefront 2 at 1920x1200 on medium, no stutter. The upgrade cost was about 200eur, but can be done cheaper.

I upgraded to dual E5450 for 35 eur including second heatsink. Added a 500gb ssd for 45eur and a gtx 1050 ti 4gb oc (overpowered for the CPUs) for 130eur new. You can get a cheaper second hand card, but make sure you don't get one that requires a 8pin connector. I already had 16gb ram, but that one's cheap anyway.

Reactions: SamirD
Specs:

8GB DDR4 RAM
500GB Hard Drive
USB 3.0
DVD-RW
Display Port & VGA
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

CPU is not bad, but those motherboards use a custom power connector so you need adapters, and the board may have issues with add-on video cards being recognized or working properly.

In general, unless you know exactly what you are doing, getting an OEM build with the goal of upgrading it can cost more at the end with things not working or needing to upgrade too many things.

You can build a lower end gaming setup for about $500 with all new parts, although video card now is an issue with high prices and low availability. If you get used cards or simply a used gaming system from someone, would cost the same as a used office system with upgrades you need to buy.

Solution
Specs:

8GB DDR4 RAM
500GB Hard Drive
USB 3.0
DVD-RW
Display Port & VGA
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

This system would be much faster:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-Xeon-E5410-vs-Intel-i7-4770/1232vs1907

But again, it really depends on what you want to do and how far you want to go. If you want to continue to upgrade, better to get components so you can upgrade those individually. Pre-builts are notorious for being limited in their upgrade capability.