Question Dell Precision T3500 + Asus GTX 660 Ti - flickering

aeklov

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2014
I have a Dell Precision T3500 with a Asus GTX 660 Ti 2GB that keeps flickering when the drivers are installed. The setup:

• Windows 10 Professional, Nvidia drivers 472 (2022)
  • Asus GTX 660 Ti 2GB - has 2x PCIe 6-pin connection inputs
  • Dell standard PSU 525W (1x PCIe 6-pin + [2x SATA-to-molex ->> to PCIe 6-pin] )
  • this card is working fine in another computer with the same setup and drivers
The GTX 660 Ti has a max tdp of 150W and the 3DGuru review says it is drawing around 133W (my specific model, the ASUS DirectCU II), so I don't know whats going on here.

I have tried both 2x SATA to PCIe 6-pin and 1x Molex and 1x SATA connector to the PCIe 6-pin connector, just in case the power was too little just from the SATA outputs and since the T3500 has both Molex and SATA for disks. Same result, flickers every 12-16 seconds when it gets through the startup process.

Is there a chance I could just get a PCIe 6-pin to 2x PCIe 6-pin (split one into two) and solve the issue?
Or combine SATA and PCIe 6-pin to a final PCIe 6-pin ? (sounds jiffy, this one)

Thanks for any help.

Lutfij

Titan
Can you state what the age of the PSU in your prebuilt is? You can use this link to tell you how much power you'd need for the entire system with their respective discrete GPU's. To add, a PSU that's been in use for a long while and has been stressed the same number of years will reduce the effective power output of said PSU. This can lead to the flickers you speak of. That or your GPU is on it's way out. Try using the discrete GPU on a donor system and see if it exhibits the same issue on said donor system with relevant drivers.

aeklov

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2014
Try using the discrete GPU on a donor system and see if it exhibits the same issue on said donor system with relevant drivers.

That is one of the points in my original post. It has been checked in another system already, it works ok.
(haha, oh, that's what the stricken out text was for :), pardon me)

And I will potentially test another equal PSU from the same model, as you said, it can be the age of the current one and the wear.

Last edited: