Diablo 3: Auction House Does Cash, More

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Still haven't played SC2 for that reason, I never played any diablo games but was looking forward to trying this... oh well. Maybe I'm too old for games nowadays.

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
I have purchased every blizzard game including SC2 and I will buy this one too eventually. Not bothered with "online only" requirement if you don't have pirated version.

christop

Distinguished
Ok say your server goes down. We the paying customer can't play what we paid for. I liked the fact I could play diablo 2 with out using battle net. Keep your game. I am not buying it..

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]christop[/nom]Ok say your server goes down. We the paying customer can't play what we paid for. I liked the fact I could play diablo 2 with out using battle net. Keep your game. I am not buying it..[/citation]
You run that same risk with any online game. And from personal experience, over the past year I have had no login issues with Blizzard servers, and haven't run into any downtime whatsoever. I think the likelihood of the sort of catastrophic server failure you spoke of, where the game is completely inaccessible, is pretty minimal.

G

You will not resist the temptation... Unless you don't like Diablo; you don't count though.

It sucks to not be able to play the game without the need for internet connection, but there's basically internet everywhere. People are constantly on the net, whether it be on their iphones or crappy, small Acer comps.

The auction house reminds me of Second Life & other such games– yuck. I thought video games were meant to be an escape from the real world. People with money to spare will now make a hierarchy of power in the virtual world. Disgusting.

I will play Diablo III though. It's like a nasty, fattening, tasty burger. It's bad for you, but it's damn good.

megahustler

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
We must have constant online connection to prevent cheating.

Joining Battle.net with a cheated character = bad.

Joining Battle.net with a bought character + bought items = not a problem. In fact we'll help you do it, and just charge a small fee.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]Sadly, it's the piracy that created the need for this crap. Until thieves came about, games didn't have these restrictions. Now you are saying that it's ok to steal the game because of the games anti-stealing practices?I guess it just shows how big a problem it is. The thieves don't even think they are stealing anymore. Not that I don't understand the frustration, it just seems too many people are ok with pirating for one reason or another. This is the reason we have these restrictions to begin with.[/citation]

you happen to remember the "dont coppy that floppy" campain a long time ago?

you use to be able to rent pc software and games, and at the palces where you rented it, they sold floppy discs you could coppy from.

piracy HAS ALWAYS been around, and ALWAYS WILL BE.

now from what i remember, and correct me if im wrong but it went more or less like this.

no drm
cd needed drm
key needed drm
key+cd needed drm

than we get into the secrom era drm that can cripple computers, and is more like a virus than drm

than we get into the steam era drm, which needs a steam account to tie it to, ensuring 1 coppy, almost

than we get into presistant online drm, which requires a 24 hours a day connection.

companies are JERKING US AROUND with drm and EVERYONE KNOWS IT, but what they don't know is that PIRACY ISN'T THE REASON ITS HERE, its not like it got worse over the years, it hasn't, its gotten easier, but you do not get online play with piracy.

crap like this promotes piracy, and everyone knows it.

up till this, diablo was a day 1 purchase for me. now if i buy it at all, im pirating it, just so i can get the better version, you know, with an offline mode.

jamoise

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
[citation][nom]megahustler[/nom]We must have constant online connection to prevent cheating.Joining Battle.net with a cheated character = bad.Joining Battle.net with a bought character + bought items = not a problem. In fact we'll help you do it, and just charge a small fee.Seems perfectly reasonable to me.[/citation]

Can you buy characters? I never saw any information on this. sure, you can do it by selling your account to someone else, and then you can tell blizzard your account got hacked and get it back again. and pocket the money you took to sell the account. If you buy someone else's account your like buying a house on an eroding beachfront you never know when its going to disappear. I for one don't care if people buy items from an Auction house. Ive played other games where you can play for free or pay to get ahead, It doesn't bother me at all, you can still get all the items by playing or buying from the in game gold AH. all the Chinese farmers can just post their auctions in the paid for AH. and stop bothering me in the chat channels asking me to buy gold or items. it can just sit in the AH and not bother me at all, and people who want to do that can just go buy it. one thing about the Chinese farmers.. is they keep the prices low ;)

Formata

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
I dont see what the problem with DRMs (implemented the right way) are if you've actually paid money for the game. That's right retards. You might actually have to put that jumbo big gulp down and go and get a job so you can afford to pay for something! You want to whinge at someone? Whinge at yourselves. It's your fault they are their in the 1st place. News Flash. Blizzard is one of the last developers that gives a crap about creating interesting games on the PC platform. If you don't like it... please by all means don't buy the game... we don't want your fat asses slowing down queue times on battle.net anyhow. Just stop spamming this website with your idiotic comments and head back to the pirate bay or something. I'm sure the latest Harry Potter is there ready for you.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]companies are JERKING US AROUND with drm and EVERYONE KNOWS IT, but what they don't know is that PIRACY ISN'T THE REASON ITS HERE, its not like it got worse over the years, it hasn't, its gotten easier, but you do not get online play with piracy.

crap like this promotes piracy, and everyone knows it.

up till this, diablo was a day 1 purchase for me. now if i buy it at all, im pirating it, just so i can get the better version, you know, with an offline mode.[/citation]
hmmm... that's quite a troubling and paradoxical situation to be in. So will you simply never buy a PC game again? That is assuming you have bought one in the past.

bmtphoenix

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
By making the game online only, they -
1. Annoy people out of buying their games.
2. Prevent people who do spend cash money on the game from playing it when they don't have Internet access.
3. Get less overall exposure.

They don't get more buyers. This has been proven time and again. The VAST majority of those who pirate software would NOT have purchased it. Why can't video game developers get their heads around that concept? Do they really think that everyone who wants to play their game has the cash to spend on it?

Pirating a game is a pain in the butt. You don't do it if you can afford to buy it instead. People who pirate games just go without if they can't pirate the game.

shylor

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
People QQ'ed about StarCraft 2... and look it is online only. You people doing it now are not going to change anything. If you knew how to predict the industry you should have been known that Blizzard was going to do it again. I really don't even think it would have been about the DRM, but more about the Battle.net system anyways. They are very proud of Battle.net and they want the best experience they can with it. So to wrap up this discussion... You can QQ if you want to, Blizzard is not listening.

G

I dislike how they're disallowing offline play however it's not unexpected given the advent of battle.net 2.0, I doubt any future Blizzard game will be playable offline, at least without initial activation. They'll all be constant connectivity. The real cash auctionhouse sounds good, it gives those that want to trade items for real world money a chance to do so and leave the rest of us in peace. Although of course I'm predicting a philosophical divide will develop between those that believe in trading for cash and those that don't. As for the whole DRM debate, my thoughts are these: I don't suppport DRM, I think the whole concept is stupid. However if you really don't want DRM in your games then get into the indie and open source gaming movement. I think that's the real divide. Corporations and big businesses will tend towards DRM and indie and open source will go non DRM. I find it rather sad that offline games are becoming a thing of the past however there are more of them in the indie and opensource crowd so it's something to look into. Anyway those are my two cents. Cheers.

If you didn't enjoy diablo 1 or 2, its pretty safe to say that won't change with diablo 3. I played diablo 2 a little bit. Liked the necro but it grew old fast. Diablo 3's probably got the same game mechanics with flashier graphics. The characters on-screen will still be tiny due to the 3rd person camera view.

I'm going to wait until after release and have a good look at player-made videos of gameplay. At this point though, I'm not interested in playing it.

There's no point now in complaining about the DRM. It'll be cracked within days of release, if not sooner. I'm just stating a likelihood. You can purchase the game and crack it afterward. I have a ton of games I purchased, and afterward, went to a site like game****world to grab the no-cd patch.

Last but not least, if you like the game, buy it. If you don't like the game, don't buy it. If you don't want to support Blizzard/Activision's business decisions, don't give them your money.

christop

Distinguished
You run that same risk with any online game. And from personal experience, over the past year I have had no login issues with Blizzard servers, and haven't run into any downtime whatsoever. I think the likelihood of the sort of catastrophic server failure you spoke of, where the game is completely inaccessible, is pretty minimal.

LickPoo 08/02/2011 1:21 AM
Hide
Insert quote. Report -0+

I don't buy or play online game that require a monthly fee. I think buying the software is enough and have better since to keep paying for a game that adds more content.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]christop[/nom]I don't buy or play online game that require a monthly fee. I think buying the software is enough and have better since to keep paying for a game that adds more content.[/citation]
...there's no monthly fee. Are we talking about the same game here? And I didn't really get the second sentence, sorry.

egmccann

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
Yeah. Don't think so. I've given that system two tries so far - in SC2 and in C&C4 (which stank for other reasons.) No thanks. And "people would be upset" by having to have an online and an offline character? Really? Funny, it seemed to work with no issues in... now, what was that game again, some little manufacturer made it I think... oh, yeah. Diablo II.

[citation][nom]dragonsqrrl[/nom]...there's no monthly fee. Are we talking about the same game here? And I didn't really get the second sentence, sorry.[/citation]

I scratched my head too... unless in a very roundabout way you include the monthly cost of maintaining an internet connection. But who would get an internet connection for the sole purpose of playing a single game, like Diablo 3? hehehe

Altheran

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
like it or not, 100% online is the only way to protect software from piracy ... And if it goes on ... what is happening will just continue : console games ported to PC ... Piracy on PC is just too easy ... on consoles well .. its way more hassles...

egmccann

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Altheran[/nom]like it or not, 100% online is the only way to protect software from piracy ...[/citation]

And if you believe that, I've got some oceanfront property in Tucson you might be interested in. Comes with its own bridge.

[citation][nom]Altheran[/nom]like it or not, 100% online is the only way to protect software from piracy ... And if it goes on ... what is happening will just continue : console games ported to PC ... Piracy on PC is just too easy ... on consoles well .. its way more hassles...[/citation]

like it or not, 100% online is the only way to appear to the shareholders, that the software is protected from piracy...

rrhaire

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
nonono this is a good thing! You never actually have to put money into it. What its doing is eliminating "currencies" that were often present in the multiplayer. SOJs or runes will now be replaced with cash. But you can just sell your stuff for their "cash value" and buy other things for their "cash value". This is the new alternative to selling an enigma for 2 sojs to then trade those 2 sojs for a hoto. I think its great.

Misdissident

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
... Why? Why not just keep the "realm characters" system and still let single player and open Battle.net (even if it was usually just ridiculous) characters thrive? The reasoning for forced online isn't sound... The way they explain it tries to be sympathetic to potential buyers yet the actual reasoning behind it is clearly just a matter of total control over the system.
It irks me since D2 had a system that worked fine. Pirates could not get online since Battle.net would just do CD key scans and kick you if you were blacklisted or "suspicious". D2 also ran a CD-in-drive check, which wasn't bad; the ironic thing is that they removed that in the last patch... yet suddenly they want to go the exact opposite direction with D3?
The worst part is the lack of mods, though, which I assume is due to this controlling system. A lot of potential is now suddenly gone... well, gone until the inevitable cracking occurs or the private/personal server is created. Even if I am not in support of pirating the game, I'd be in total support for removing the chains and ripping the thing open.

G

Really who doesn't have an always on internet connection, what is this 1998?

Status
Not open for further replies.