Jan 18, 2019
CPU: Intel i5-9600k
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super
MOBO: MSI MPG z390 Gaming Pro Carbon
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 3600hz 2x8gb
Storage: Crucial P1 1tb m.2
Pwr: Corsair TX650M
cooler: NZXT Kraken M22

From new (Aug 2019) I clocked my cpu to 5Ghz at 1.334 volts. Had issues w crashes so I ended up declocking instead of turning up voltage.
declocked down to 4.5Ghz at 1.221v (?? volts) was fine for a few months but as of this week I started having issues. BIOS warned me of high temps.

Today I just repasted the CPU and declocked down to the stock 3.7Ghz. During a malwarebytes scan the CPU temp was reaching around 90C
I messed with MSI Dragon Center to set fans to kick on 100% by 75C. I tried Cinebench and it overheated immediately and shut down at high 90's C.

One 120mm fan is blowing hot air out the back (SYS_FAN4)
One 120mm fan is pulling cold air from outside and blowing it in from top of case (SYS_FAN3)
Lastly the kraken cooler is on the CPU with radiator mounted to front of case(PUMP_FAN1)
all I run is those 3 fans but I included where they are plugged into

So, having to declock multiple times.. did I fry my CPU? Are my fans adequate for long term cooling? It won't even hold a bench test, so I know something has failed. Do I get just a new CPU (probably another 9600k or I'd maybe ball out on a 9900k)

Please help

Thanks

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)Manual OC, or Auto through Dragon Center? If the latter, I suggest you don't use it - actually, uninstall it.

2)The Kraken M22 is not adequate for hexa-core cpus and higher. That unit is like a really expensive Cooler Master Hyper 212; an overclocked 9600K is out of it's league.
You should be using either big air, or a 240mm or larger AIO/CLC.

3)Top intake shouldn't be there - flip it.

Reactions: CompuTronix

andrewbrinkmann007

Prominent
Jan 18, 2019
I use Dragon Center for setting fan speeds, don't know where else to do so.
Overclock was done manually per what other guys were running as a base and then fine tuning voltage to prevent crash (within temp reason)
I'll flip the top fan.

Do I need a new cooler + fans? is my CPU fried? I've used this exact same setup at 5ghz and passed benchmarks sub 90 degrees and now it won't even keep under 100C during a test at stock herts and volts.

let me know what else

thanks guys

andrewbrinkmann007

Prominent
Jan 18, 2019
I'm not entirely sure what killing a cpu even entails, but you are suggesting that I perhaps killed my cooler instead? If thats the case what cooler do you guys recommend I replace mine with, and do I need any more fans? I believe this case will hold 1 more 120mm.

thanks

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Killing cpu:
-running excessive voltage on the regular, 1.4Vcore or higher.
-operating at excessive thermals on the regular, like 85C or higher

You didn't kill the cooler either. The pumps in those AIOs/CLCs slowly degrade over time; usually over a few years, or longer.

andrewbrinkmann007

Prominent
Jan 18, 2019
Case is an NZXT H510. I'm not sure what temps i was running, but I have been running MW2019 since it came out in october, so the potential for 80-85C temps for the last 8 months are very possible. Again, do you think the pump has just started to fail or what causes the chip to jump to 90C during a benchmark in a matter of seconds? The price of those two coolers are quite different what do you recommend?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Get rid of Dragon Center, it artificially boosts the cpu without your permission, overriding bios settings in a supposed 'performance boost' but really could care less about your temps. You can set fans through the bios. Look in the tabs for it. One will be settings, another is just a monitor.

With the 510, put the stock fans as exhaust, that'll mean moving the one in front to the rear exhaust. That particular case works very well with a negative pressure setup, no intake fans in front. Just a rear and top exhaust.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Doesn't exactly work that way with the M22, the pump is mounted in the rad, not in the cpu block. This eleviates almost all airbubble or low fluid issues, it'd have to be really, really low on fluid, over halfway empty, because the pump is direct feed from the rad.

Doesn't mention algae or other contaminants messing with the coldplate microfins and blocking flow.

The M22 is basically a 130w aio, not quite the same as the hyper212, but should be able to handle a i5 9600k at full stock turbo or less under p95 small fft and not see much past 70ish.

Should be running it with CAM software, most likely it's currently responding to bios settings and pump speeds/flow could be minimal. I'm thinking the combination of Op using Dragon Center, which doesn't recognise the pump on cpu_fan, and Op changing fan settings, including the cpu_fan where the pump should be located has messed with what the aio needs to operate optimally.

Last edited:

andrewbrinkmann007

Prominent
Jan 18, 2019
m22 pump is oriented with lines coming out horizontally towards the face of the case, only way it would mount in the room given. Never heard any noises coming from it, return line is warmer than the sending line, so I have no reason to believe that the pump is not working, perhaps just not adequate, but I am beginning to believe that it may have failed due to the temps I am seeing now.

Uninstalled Dragon Center. Loaded up Modern Warfare on main monitor, watched temps quickly jump to 89-92C in a matter of a minute or two (CPU load = 100% from the moment I open call of duty, but thats always how it has been. meanwhile my gpu is chilling at 40%.. BS) so i quickly got off. Guess i'll order a new fan. After listening I do hear some noise coming from the pump under load now.

Last edited:

andrewbrinkmann007

Prominent
Jan 18, 2019
I switched the fan powers per your request and amazingly the temps were holding ~75-80C and a peak of 85C during a modern warfare "test run", where previously it was breaking 90C in a matter of seconds. I still think i should get a different cooler, as 75-80C average temp is too high to sustain over long term, correct? Am I endangering my CPU by holding 80C while gaming for a few more days until a new one would arrive? Keep in mind peaks of 85C here and there. (usually game on med-high settings but have it on low currently to help in anyway I can. Wish GPU would do more than 10% of the work while gaming to help this poor CPU get away from 90%+ at all times.

Edit: after an hour or less of gaming they crept up to 83-85 and were sitting there consistently. Decided to hop off the game as thats pretty warm.

Last edited:
so your rad fan is in push mode out the front of the case if I read this correctly?

doubt you fried the CPU as they tend to just throttle to save themselves.

CPU: Intel i5-9600k
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super
MOBO: MSI MPG z390 Gaming Pro Carbon
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 3600hz 2x8gb
Storage: Crucial P1 1tb m.2
Pwr: Corsair TX650M
cooler: NZXT Kraken M22

From new (Aug 2019) I clocked my cpu to 5Ghz at 1.334 volts. Had issues w crashes so I ended up declocking instead of turning up voltage.
declocked down to 4.5Ghz at 1.221v (?? volts) was fine for a few months but as of this week I started having issues. BIOS warned me of high temps.

Today I just repasted the CPU and declocked down to the stock 3.7Ghz. During a malwarebytes scan the CPU temp was reaching around 90C
I messed with MSI Dragon Center to set fans to kick on 100% by 75C. I tried Cinebench and it overheated immediately and shut down at high 90's C.

One 120mm fan is blowing hot air out the back (SYS_FAN4)
One 120mm fan is pulling cold air from outside and blowing it in from top of case (SYS_FAN3)
Lastly the kraken cooler is on the CPU with radiator mounted to front of case(PUMP_FAN1)
all I run is those 3 fans but I included where they are plugged into

So, having to declock multiple times.. did I fry my CPU? Are my fans adequate for long term cooling? It won't even hold a bench test, so I know something has failed. Do I get just a new CPU (probably another 9600k or I'd maybe ball out on a 9900k)

Please help

Thanks

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I, at least, don't particularly see a problem with the setup, but I'm wondering if you'd get better results if you moved the M22's rad to exhaust out of either the top or rear and left the front empty.
It's just me though - something I'd like to play around with, because physics is weird sometimes.

andrewbrinkmann007

Prominent
Jan 18, 2019
Hopped on Facebook Market and there was a Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4 cooler locally to me. Went and grabbed that, temps are now 36C at idle instead of 65C+ and CineBench tested at max temp of 57C instead of overheating and shutting down at 95C. I'm gonna call this a fix. Dickhead opened it and took the free screwdriver, thermal paste and had mounted the fan prior tho lol (claimed it as new never used). Still was worth it as I had paste at home already. Only complaint is that RAM slot 1 is unusable now, so if i were to add 2 more sticks of ram I'd have to get a new cooler, as I don't think I can mount the fan on the back side?

When my Kraken M22 was new it was much better, maybe 50C idle and 82C loaded temps, but after months of stress I believe the pump was failing and it finally overcame it's abilities to cool the CPU this week, as to why I noticed extreme temps only recently. Not enough cooling capabilities tore that poor girl apart trying to run it on a 9600k
Thanks everyone.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Only complaint is that RAM slot 1 is unusable now, so if i were to add 2 more sticks of ram I'd have to get a new cooler, as I don't think I can mount the fan on the back side?
You should be able to raise the front fan a little, unless you're using some tall ram, like G. Skill's Trident Z or Corsair's Dominator Platinum.
If not, then the fan can be moved behind the 2nd tower - assuming the I/O shield isn't too bulky.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Am I able to flip and run the fan on the back if I ever wanted to add more ram or does that compromise the cooling potential too much (even if I added maybe 2 intake fans)?
Yes, though that might screw with the H510's airflow; you'd either have to remove the top fan, or flip it to an intake.
NOW, while some people would advise against top panel intake entirely, I say, don't knock it 'till you try it; physics does some weird stuff at times.
If you have no choice but to move the front fan, then experiment. If not, well... I got nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS