[SOLVED] Difference between perfomance of dual channel and single channel ram settings.

May 16, 2020
I have a ram (Kingston KVR16N11S84 4GB 1600MHz DDR3 CL11) and i want to buy another stick. But i can't find the same model on Amazon. So my question is if i used different Rams(like only model change). So how much performance difference there will be if i used same frequency ram?

Solution
No the brand will be same and the timing will aslo be same. If 2 or 3 happens well i guess i have sell that stick then.
If i used same timing,brand and frequency module. Then is it possible those problems might occur?

Yes. You could buy same brand, same timing same everything and still have issues. The reason is that the RAM sticks were not produced in the same batch and not tested to work together. So the timing might be the same on the sticker but deep down it's not the same.

So yes. Problems could still occur. It's up to you :)
Don't buy another stick like that. Buy a 2x4GB 1600MHz RAM KIT and remove that 4GB you have right now. It's the only way to be 100% sure that both sticks will work fine together.

Even buying the same brand and model of RAM can give you issues when you buy both stick separately.

May 16, 2020
Don't buy another stick like that. Buy a 2x4GB 1600MHz RAM KIT and remove that 4GB you have right now. It's the only way to be 100% sure that both sticks will work fine together.

Even buying the same brand and model of RAM can give you issues when you buy both stick separately.
I don't have enough money to buy a kit. I have money to buy just a single stick so that's why I'm asking how much difference there will be in the performance between those two settings.

I don't have enough money to buy a kit. I have money to buy just a single stick so that's why I'm asking how much difference there will be in the performance between those two settings.

If you buy another 4GB stick of another brand and model or the same but 1600MHz here is what can happen.

1. You put that stick in your system and everything goes fine. This rarely happen.
  2. You put that stick in your system and you have all sorts of issues. Mostly to happen.
  3. You put that stick in your system and it doesn't boot. Could happen.
So do you want to take the risk?

Reactions: Lomorak
May 16, 2020
If you buy another 4GB stick of another brand and model or the same but 1600MHz here is what can happen.

1. You put that stick in your system and everything goes fine. This rarely happen.
  2. You put that stick in your system and you have all sorts of issues. Mostly to happen.
  3. You put that stick in your system and it doesn't boot. Could happen.
So do you want to take the risk?
No the brand will be same and the timing will aslo be same. If 2 or 3 happens well i guess i have sell that stick then.
If i used same timing,brand and frequency module. Then is it possible those problems might occur?

Yes. You could buy same brand, same timing same everything and still have issues. The reason is that the RAM sticks were not produced in the same batch and not tested to work together. So the timing might be the same on the sticker but deep down it's not the same.

Solution
May 16, 2020

Well now i have find the same module. Thank you very much for helping me. You saved my money 😅😂

Well now i have find the same module. Thank you very much for helping me. You saved my money 😅😂
The point Nemesia was making is even mixing the exact same make and model RAM bought separately can have issues. RAM is sold in matched kits for a reason. I cannot say what that chances of issues are but it can happen, it’s happened to me once using 2 sets of the same model RAM.

See the odd man out section https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...y-ram-and-xmp-profile-configurations.3398926/

May 16, 2020
Okay well i guess i have to money then to buy a kit.
Thanks for your help btw.
The point Nemesia was making is even mixing the exact same make and model RAM bought separately can have issues. RAM is sold in matched kits for a reason. I cannot say what that chances of issues are but it can happen, it’s happened to me once using 2 sets of the same model RAM.

See the odd man out section https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...y-ram-and-xmp-profile-configurations.3398926/