Question Disconnects in games and slow loads, but fine speed

ohm-ish

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2016
Hi
I got a new computer with motherboard Asus Z790-I Gaming wifi

In certain games the connection simply drops or can't connect. And certain things/websites takes long to load, where they used to come instantly
The wifi speed and signal seems fine, at around 600 mbps and low latency
One game (PGA 2K23 golf) always disconnects eventually, and can even break the entire internet connection sometimes
Other game shows network problem icon and stays that way. Can't play it

Everything, drivers etc. is up-to-date on the new computer

I tried uninstalling the wifi driver, restart and reinstall
And I tried these cmd's:
netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /flushdns

And I tried disabling bitdefender firewall, also no change.

My access point is a TP-Link EAP653 and I'm using 5.ghz with pretty basic settings
My old computer uses the same and has no problems with wifi/connection in games etc. but the new one does

What can I do or try?

Last edited:
That was somewhat of a surprise that you actually have a AP, most people just use the term for things that aren't.

I would check all the antenna connections to be sure they are still tight. Does your motherboard come with the antennas that have long cables that let you place it away from the computer. Maybe try a different placement, maybe on top of the computer.
Key is to try to not have the metal case blocking the signals to your AP.

Do you know how much overlap of signal you have between your router and your AP. Could your pc maybe be connecting to the main router or maybe there is interfering signals if they are the same channels.

Can you change the radio channels on your AP. Could be someone living near you got a new router and is now using the same radio channels as you.

Try to leave a constant ping run to your router IP. This is mostly to confirm that you see large increases in latency or maybe packet loss when your applications are running slow. If the ping is good but the other programs have issues it would mean it is not really a wifi issue.

Reactions: ohm-ish

ohm-ish

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2016
Thanks for input
I think it's solved
I was using some smaller antennas instead of the ugly chorded one that came with the motherboard.
Had success with that on my old computer (allthough a different brand of antennas)
Now I plugged in the original big antenna instead, and all the problems seems gone
That's strange since the speed was fine and the dBm is a few ticks worse now than with the small antenna/s.
But I guess an antenna isn't just an antenna..
I assume the wifi connection struggled somehow, maybe with establishing a proper initial handshake or what it's called

EDIT:
I just tried using the small antennas I had on old computer.
They work fine. Solid connection
So I guess it's hit/miss with these tiny antennas

Last edited: