Question Display 1 Will Not Stop Flickering After Booting A Game

Jun 6, 2023
For context, I have an rtx 2080 and I use an older roku tv as a second monitor to watch videos as I play my games. The TV is hooked in using HDMI, and my main monitor, an ASUS, is hooked in using a display port connection. For a while now, this annoying thing has been happening whenever a game on my main monitor starts. It goes full screen, and my monitor goes black for a second, but then starts like normal, and I can play the game like normal until I try to alt-tab/change which monitor I am on OR if I exit the game.

For example: I boot up Destiny 2----> Game runs fine until I log in----> I attempt to alt tab to find a video to put on as I grind----> Going to the second screen results in the flashing to start, and it only stops when i go back to being alt-tabbed in to the game----> If I exit the game, the flashing gets worse and will not stop until I restart my PC!

After I do any of these things, my primary screen keeps flashing black, and barely shows the actual screen anymore. It is just flashing black and I can only use my 2nd monitor. It only stops when I restart my PC or change it to being the only display showing. It is very annoying and any troubleshooting I have done so far has not helped! It is not a cable issue, since when I only have my display port plugged in everything is fine, and even then I have tried new cables. It seems to be an interaction conflict between the two monitors, but I'm at a loss, because it is certainly not a resolution issue it seems, as I have played with that as well. I have hooked the monitor up to another computer and it works fine in dual setup. I am dumbfounded! I'm about ready to buy a new GPU and pray that is the issue.

Any assistance would be very appreciated!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Please pass on the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU if it's been in service for a while.

As for your issue, have you tried using DDU to remove all GPU drivers from your platform and then manually reinstalling the latest GPU drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

Jun 6, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Please pass on the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU if it's been in service for a while.

As for your issue, have you tried using DDU to remove all GPU drivers from your platform and then manually reinstalling the latest GPU drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?
Hello! Unfortunately I have tried fresh installing the drives, and to no avail. As far as specs go:

CPU: Intel(R) i7-9700k 3.60GHz
CPU Cooler: Unsure, but it is a fairly generic one, and heat does not seem to be a problem.
Motherboard: MSI Z390-A PRO
Ram: 4 Sticks of Corsair Vengeance 8gb DDR4 DRAM 2400MHz
SSD: Samsung Evo M.2 2TB
GPU: GeForce RTX 2080
PSU: EVGA SuperNova s50 P2, 80+ Platinum 650W, its been in use for about 4 years at this point.
Chasis: Unsure, have lost the documentation of it but it is pretty stock
Monitor: 27" ASUS VG278Q, the second is just an older 32" Roku TV hooked in to the HDMI

Thank you very much for the reply regardless, as I understand this is a VERY weird problem I can find nothing for online, as it is only happening when launching applications.

Jun 11, 2023
i have the same issue, it's only display one. i can still hear audio and everything. everytime i click on the game it goes black but if i click on the second monitor it's fine. also it happens if i afk for a while and return to my game.