Question Display glitches Issues with BENQ BL2420PT 1440p and RTX 2080 Super

Aug 16, 2020
Hello,
I picked myself up a 1440p display the other day as my third monitor and now I'm getting tearing/glitches whenever my computer comes out of the sleep mode or when the monitor is woken up in any other way. The 1440p monitor is connected via display-port(No issues when using HDMI, no tearing, nothing.). I already exchanged the monitor, switched cables(Even when I switched the output of my display-port cables between the 144hz Benq XL2411P and my new Benq BL2420PT, the tearing persisted on the 2k display!). Maybe I should add that one of the three monitors is connected with HDMI and is positioned in portrait mode. I don't mind using HDMI for this monitor, but it is still worrying me.
Did a fresh install of my drivers, tried out the BENQ screen pilot driver, updated Windows; no help.

GPU works fine, ran furmark, using other devices such as an Oculus Rift S and a 144hz monitor, no issues whatsoever, even after long sessions and GPU temperatures of 70 degrees for 10 hours +.
The image I get on my screen, which flickers and flashes like this is making me wonder if this is a driver issue or an issue caused by the GPU.
gknVOci.jpg

Video: https://streamable.com/1atq1r
I'm running a Ryzen 7 3700x, with 32gb ddr4@3200mhz as well as RTX2080 Super on a 1000 Watt EVGA powersuply which is Bronze rated. Windows is running on a Samsung NVME drive.

I'd appreciate gladly if anybody could help me understand what's going on here. I might try to put my spouses GPU(gtx1660) in my computer tomorrow and see if I can reproduce the same issue.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2020
This is absolutely unusual. I would suggest you directly contact their customer service for help when your monitors are still under warranty.
As I said, since I exchanged it, I can rule out that this is a monitor problem. Obviously it's possible that this specific model has issues with the 2080 super DP, so I really don't know.

tmx1

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007
I have the exact same problem with 2 of these monitors. I was in the process of wasting my time to RMA them but good thing I came across your post.

I will try out a StarTech VESA certified DP cable first to see how that works out and I am using a Gigabyte 1660Ti Mini.

tmx1

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007
I asked BenQ to read this post and told them I do not wish to waste time with an RMA as it seems to resolve nothing.

Here is their reponse:
It seems like we have been able to find a fix for this issue. Please go to the control panel of the nVidia graphic card to enable vertical synchronization for improving screen tearing.

1. Click mouse on right button.
  2. Open the nVidia control panel
  3. Go to 3D settings and select “Manage 3D settings”
  4. Scroll down the list and select “Vertical synchronization” & activate it.

Let us know if this solved your problem

I will be paying close attention for the next few weeks and see how it plays out, however for the last day I have not seen the glitch occur anymore.

Hope this helps.

Nov 2, 2020
I asked BenQ to read this post and told them I do not wish to waste time with an RMA as it seems to resolve nothing.

Here is their reponse:
It seems like we have been able to find a fix for this issue. Please go to the control panel of the nVidia graphic card to enable vertical synchronization for improving screen tearing.

• Click mouse on right button.

• Open the nVidia control panel

• Go to 3D settings and select “Manage 3D settings”

• Scroll down the list and select “Vertical synchronization” & activate it.
Let us know if this solved your problem

I will be paying close attention for the next few weeks and see how it plays out, however for the last day I have not seen the glitch occur anymore.

Hope this helps.
Could you share BenQ contact information? I have same issue with BL2420 monitor, but Ian using AMD laptop.

tmx1

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007
I have the exact same monitor with the same issue on DisplayPort. I wonder if it's a product defect.

Yes this is a defect.

In the end their solution did not work and I went back and forth with their support for a while.
I tried getting them to admit being a design flaw and they pretendeded it was not, however they were more than happy to replace both monitors with a different and larger monitor with the same resolution free of charge which I though would be good, except the replacement would be a refurbished units at which point I said no thnx and I will not buy another BenQ again.

Oh and with DVI it's even worse. Both monitors will flicker on/off every minute or so and other have reported this on NewEgg as well.