[SOLVED] Do all external hard drives turn off automatically?

Feb 27, 2019
I'm looking forward to buying an external hard drive to download my games on, so I was wondering if the external hard drive turns off Automatically while im not using it.

Solution
Automatic drive turn off/spin downs depends on what power management settings you set in (I'm assuming) Windows. Also power settings for USB devieces.

Although some HDDs have built-in firmware features that sometimes would spin down and turn off the drive regardless of the power management settings. However, as long as files are being downloaded and saved/written to it, it's not technically idle, therefore, it should not go to sleep.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Automatic drive turn off/spin downs depends on what power management settings you set in (I'm assuming) Windows. Also power settings for USB devieces.

Although some HDDs have built-in firmware features that sometimes would spin down and turn off the drive regardless of the power management settings. However, as long as files are being downloaded and saved/written to it, it's not technically idle, therefore, it should not go to sleep.

Reactions: cat1092
Solution