[SOLVED] Do i have to remove graphic card to get ouput to my monitor using igpu?

Aug 27, 2020
I got a new workstation. Hp-z230 sff. And its motherboard got 3 displayports, but no vga no hdmi. Only 3 display ports. So i tried to use dp to vga converter thing. And it didn't work. Also i have installed gt710 graphic card. But I'm thinking of returning it. If i can get output using dp to vga converter then why should i waste money?. So is there any issue. The gpu is installed in pc. So do i need to remove it first to get the output to display?

Solution
Depends on the BIOS. By default when you have a gpu installed the motherboard display ports are disabled. However you might be able to change this in the BIOS so integrated graphics are always on.

I have assumed you have a cpu with integrated graphics.
Depends on the BIOS. By default when you have a gpu installed the motherboard display ports are disabled. However you might be able to change this in the BIOS so integrated graphics are always on.

Solution
Aug 27, 2020

Yeah i have i5 4th gen processor. So it should have integrated graphics. Is it necessary to have graphic on motherboard? Anyway so can i simply unplug the graphic card? And then check if the displayport is working or not?

Yeah i have i5 4th gen processor. So it should have integrated graphics. Is it necessary to have graphic on motherboard? Anyway so can i simply unplug the graphic card? And then check if the displayport is working or not?
If the motherboard has display sockets and the cpu has integrated graphics it should work. When you remove the gpu the next time you boot the pc it should automatically switch to integrated graphics.

Aug 27, 2020
If the motherboard has display sockets and the cpu has integrated graphics it should work. When you remove the gpu the next time you boot the pc it should automatically switch to integrated graphics.
Worth trying. Also I'm trying to get display using dp because i spent like 3500 on gt710. Lousy card. So I'm trying to return it back and get a decent ddr3 8gb fast ram. So no waste of money😀

Mod Edit for Language

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 27, 2020
You're going to need an ACTIVE DisplayPort to VGA adapter.

-Wolf sends

Edit: ... Unless that GT 710 has a DVI-I port (4-pins around the "+").
I just bought an dp to vga adapter. But its not working because maybe I'm using my motherboard displayports. Which is disabled when gpu is installed as you said.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Well, I didn't say that, but that would be correct. In most cases, if a discrete graphics card is installed in the PCI-Ex16 slot, the on-board graphics are disabled. To re-enable them, you would need to remove the discrete graphics card.

If you've removed the card (which I assumed you did) and you're still not getting an image, then the likely culprit is the adapter you have. It needs to be an ACTIVE converter.

-Wolf sends

Aug 27, 2020
Well thanks everyone for help. I had to remove graphic card and then i tried to use dp to vga converter and it worked. Then i installed display drivers from intel. And it worked just like graphic card. I played gta 4 with low setting. And it worked. Well i faced some black lines which is obvious. For heavy games. Anyway thanks for help😉

Reactions: Wolfshadw