[SOLVED] do i need to replace my powerline adapter?

Oct 12, 2020
Okay so I have a 300 mbps internet plan. Two questions.
I'm using a powerline adapter, for one computer upstairs, and one in the basement, while the modem is in the middle floor, but it only gets to around 30 to 40 mbps. Do I need a new powerline adapter?
My dad's phone, the Samsung S9 can get to 300+ speeds, but my Samsung A20. Is it really because of the phone I have?

Solution
You have to be pretty lucky to get 300mbps even on the best powerline equipment. If you have the older av500 units going to av2-1000 or av2-2000 units should give you a fairly large increase.

Not sure why you are asking about phones since those are wireless and you connect to powerline units via ethernet in most cases.

If you have tv coax in both location you can try MoCA devices. These are going to be much faster than powerline units and you should easily be able to get 300mbps.
You have to be pretty lucky to get 300mbps even on the best powerline equipment. If you have the older av500 units going to av2-1000 or av2-2000 units should give you a fairly large increase.

Not sure why you are asking about phones since those are wireless and you connect to powerline units via ethernet in most cases.

If you have tv coax in both location you can try MoCA devices. These are going to be much faster than powerline units and you should easily be able to get 300mbps.

Solution
Power lines are notoriously noisy. How noisy depends on what is plugged into each circuit. You are, in effect, transmitting data over the power grid. It's been said that trying to hear a pin hit the floor while you are sitting in the middle of an orchestra playing is similar to transmitting data over power lines.

No power line unit is going to give you 300Mbs regardless of what your plan provides.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
That is more of a PC question and has nothing to do with the phones.

One thing I can tell you is you might get a quicker connection upgrading BUT your still at the mercy of the servers you download / upload from/to.

I have a very quick direct cable on my PC but can go to download games and only get like 3.7 less/more because of their server. My wife uses a power line AV 300 and gets the same thing. Just because you have the fast speed from your ISP has really nothing to do with actual speeds.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Power lines are notoriously noisy. How noisy depends on what is plugged into each circuit. You are, in effect, transmitting data over the power grid. It's been said that trying to hear a pin hit the floor while you are sitting in the middle of an orchestra playing is similar to transmitting data over power lines.

No power line unit is going to give you 300Mbs regardless of what your plan provides.
Or direct even a direct connection not using power lines your still at the mercy of the server. Your not going to get 300mbs from a server when trying to upload/ download.