Question Do I need to upgrade my CPU, Now that i have a RTX 2060?

Eddsta

Reputable
Jan 19, 2016
Hi, I recently bought a brand new RTX 6gb DDr6 2060, this was an upgrade form a 960 2gb.
However i have not noticed the huge difference i was expecting. I have a Ryzen 5 1500X, i am now considering upgrading that. Do you think that's whats bringing my Fps down? I also only have 8Gb of vengance 3000mhz and my motherboard is a B350. I have watched reviews on the 2060 and they all have a lot more FPS than i get on those games, Thanks for understanding.

You got to know that many YouTube vids they all have different hardware and that why the FPS is high! Also think your CPU will do just good with the 2060 and if your games play smoothly and no shutter then there no need to upgrade the cpu. But you could always upgrade to another 8GB ram and make it 16GB that will make performance abit more better.

THpapi

Reputable
Mar 27, 2019
What kind of monitor are you using? refresh rate/resolution
Also, what games are you talking about?
Also, You should add 8Gb's of RAM. Many games now can easily cause you to use more than 8GB of RAM. 16Gb seems like the standard for gaming.

Reactions: Seregil Landry

Eddsta

Reputable
Jan 19, 2016
What kind of monitor are you using? refresh rate/resolution
Also, what games are you talking about?
Also, You should add 8Gb's of RAM. Many games now can easily cause you to use more than 8GB of RAM. 16Gb seems like the standard for gaming.
Hi im currently using a 144hz 1920x1080 monitor and i ahve 2x4gb right now so should i just get another 2x4gb?
I mainly play rust which i know isnt the best for FPS but i think i should be getting more than 60-70 Fps on the lowest settigns

Eddsta

Reputable
Jan 19, 2016
You got to know that many YouTube vids they all have different hardware and that why the FPS is high! Also think your CPU will do just good with the 2060 and if your games play smoothly and no shutter then there no need to upgrade the cpu. But you could always upgrade to another 8GB ram and make it 16GB that will make performance abit more better.
True but that is what i mean I mainly play rust which i know isnt the best for FPS but i think i should be getting more than 60-70 Fps on the lowest settigns

THpapi

Reputable
Mar 27, 2019
Yes, I do think you should get an additional RAM kit. 8 GB is kind of considered the Minimum right now for gaming, so upgrading that is a good place to start. can you give me examples of games or instances where your framerate is low? like give me a game and tell me what your fps is.

Eddsta

Reputable
Jan 19, 2016
Yes, I do think you should get an additional RAM kit. 8 GB is kind of considered the Minimum right now for gaming, so upgrading that is a good place to start. can you give me examples of games or instances where your framerate is low? like give me a game and tell me what your fps is.
I mainly play rust which i know isnt the best for FPS but i think i should be getting more than 60-70 Fps on the lowest settigns

THpapi

Reputable
Mar 27, 2019
True but that is what i mean I mainly play rust which i know isnt the best for FPS but i think i should be getting more than 60-70 Fps on the lowest settigns
Okay so rust 60-70 fps on low, I think Rust is CPU dependent, most open world games are, but your CPU should be enough to do that. Try disabling Global Illumination if that is an option that you have on. Also, would be useful to run MSI afterburner or other free monitoring software and run the game, look at your CPU Usage % and GPU usage %, if your CPU usage is constantly in the 90's-100% then you should consider upgrading it. Also look at your temps, if your GPU is getting over 60c at less than 100% usage you need to address thermals. About RAM, yes its easier to just re order the same kit, the RAM installation is easy "plug and play"

Eddsta

Reputable
Jan 19, 2016
Okay so rust 60-70 fps on low, I think Rust is CPU dependent, most open world games are, but your CPU should be enough to do that. Try disabling Global Illumination if that is an option that you have on. Also, would be useful to run MSI afterburner or other free monitoring software and run the game, look at your CPU Usage % and GPU usage %, if your CPU usage is constantly in the 90's-100% then you should consider upgrading it. Also look at your temps, if your GPU is getting over 60c at less than 100% usage you need to address thermals. About RAM, yes its easier to just re order the same kit, the RAM installation is easy "plug and play"
OKay thank you so much how do i check how much usage my GPu is doing? i am using MSI after burner and can see Temps but not usage

THpapi

Reputable
Mar 27, 2019
hmmmm..... It should be on the graph, check for GPU Usage %. It can be hard to see all the little graphs, keep scrolling and looking. You may have to enable the GPU usage graph in the options. Let us know what temps you are getting while playing rust, CPU and GPU, and the usages if you can get them. You can also check RAM use on Afterburner pretty sure.

Eddsta

Reputable
Jan 19, 2016
hmmmm..... It should be on the graph, check for GPU Usage %. It can be hard to see all the little graphs, keep scrolling and looking. You may have to enable the GPU usage graph in the options. Let us know what temps you are getting while playing rust, CPU and GPU, and the usages if you can get them. You can also check RAM use on Afterburner pretty sure.
My cpu usage reaches maxium of 100 and is at 85 alot of the time, my temps seem fine and gpu is fine

From what I've heard, Rust isn't all that well optimized. The CPU probably is what's holding back performance, though higher-end CPUs might not be much better. You might try overclocking your 1500X if you haven't already, though I wouldn't expect that to improve frame rates by much more than 10%.

What happens if you turn up graphics settings? It won't help frame rates, but it might not hurt them much either with a faster card like that.

Reactions: Seregil Landry

neojack

Reputable
Apr 4, 2019
fresh Windows install ?
if not, did you at least used DDU before to install the GPU drivers?

is V-sync activated in games settings? try to desactivate it.

are other programs running while you game ? close everything. check the systray for other process. stuff like cloud backup and antivirus are not quite usefull when you are gaming. (juste reboot your computer after your session and you would be fine)

Since you have a ryzen, try to enable the automatic boost in your motherboard settings. (expect +10% performance in game with this)

also check if the ram speed is setted in your bios. by default it's set at 2133,. Ryzens internal clocks scale with ram speeds, so it's good to set your ram at least at 2400mhz. 2666 and up is a bit of a gambling on first gen ryzen (worst case it doesn't boot, and go back to defaults after a few reboot attemps)
(expect another +10% performance in game with this)

if you put your full specs here (including cooling), we would be able to help you more.

Eddsta

Reputable
Jan 19, 2016
fresh Windows install ?
if not, did you at least used DDU before to install the GPU drivers?

is V-sync activated in games settings? try to desactivate it.

are other programs running while you game ? close everything. check the systray for other process. stuff like cloud backup and antivirus are not quite usefull when you are gaming. (juste reboot your computer after your session and you would be fine)

Since you have a ryzen, try to enable the automatic boost in your motherboard settings. (expect +10% performance in game with this)

also check if the ram speed is setted in your bios. by default it's set at 2133,. Ryzens internal clocks scale with ram speeds, so it's good to set your ram at least at 2400mhz. 2666 and up is a bit of a gambling on first gen ryzen (worst case it doesn't boot, and go back to defaults after a few reboot attemps)
(expect another +10% performance in game with this)

if you put your full specs here (including cooling), we would be able to help you more.
i didn't uninstall my previous drivers no, and i do check what else is running when i play and i tend to end processes via task manager i will try the things you say in bios. My specs are:
RTX 2060 6Gb
Ryzen 5 1500x
2x4Gb DDr4 3000mgz
B350 mother board
600w gold power supply

Last edited: