Discussion Do I need to upgrade my system?

thehotter1

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2012
Hello guys,

I recently switch my gpu from 5700xt to 3080. I was wondering if any of my other components will bottleneck when playing games.
I play RDR2 and Ark Survival, on a 1440p 144hz monitor.
Could I get a decent performance boost if I upgrade my ram to 3200mhz, or OC it if possible?
I've already OC my 8700k to 4.7ghz all core, but afraid to push my ram too high, because I'm afraid it'll brick my system.
Please let me know, what you guys think if I should try to OC the ram or upgrade to 9900kcpu/3200mhzRam, to fully use my 3080.
Thank you

• CPU
    I7 8700k
  • Motherboard Asus Strix Z370-e
  • RAM
    32gb Gskill DDR4 2666mhz CL15 XMP Enabled
  • GPU
    EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra 10Gb GDDR6
  • 1tb SSD
  • PSU
    Corsair RM850X

Last edited:
Intel system don't see as much of a performance boost with a RAM speed upgrade as much as AMD systems do. Also going too fast won't brick anything. You may have to go through a process to reset the UEFI firmware settings but that's about it.

If you want to "fully use" the 3080, there are two ways to do that: push the frame rates or push the image quality. If you want faster frame rates, then there are upgrades over the i7-8700K, but I don't think it's worthwhile getting any unless you somehow absolutely need to be #1 on all the performance charts.

Reactions: thehotter1

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
On this system, if your only concern is gaming I likely wouldn't change anything. The Intel isn't going to care about faster RAM in the way that Ryzen would. Probably wouldn't be able to tell outside a benchmark and certainly not seat of the pants.
IMO the 9900K is a beast of a CPU, but it also runs super hot and has a lot of power draw. Being that you already own the 8700K, assuming that your computer is (the rest of the way around) ready for W11...I just don't think it's worthwhile from a money spent to do so, yet.

In "days of old" before AMD turned the market benchmarks upside down, it was a good idea to wait ~4 generations of Intel before upgrading. Do I think you could gain performance from a select upgrade? Yes. Would it be monetarily worth it IMO? No.

edit- of note, you don't seem to list mobo. It would be worthwhile to consider how the VRM/power delivery is on that before even considering a 9900K.

logainofhades

Titan
Actually faster ram would be helpful here. 2666, even with Intel, can hurt performance. Hence why an R3 3300x could outgame an i5 10400, when the 10400 was forced to run 2666, on a non Z chipset, yet the 3300x could easily run 3200, on a cheap B450 board. Anything faster than 3200 cl16 is a bit of a waste though.

thehotter1

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2012
On this system, if your only concern is gaming I likely wouldn't change anything. The Intel isn't going to care about faster RAM in the way that Ryzen would. Probably wouldn't be able to tell outside a benchmark and certainly not seat of the pants.
IMO the 9900K is a beast of a CPU, but it also runs super hot and has a lot of power draw. Being that you already own the 8700K, assuming that your computer is (the rest of the way around) ready for W11...I just don't think it's worthwhile from a money spent to do so, yet.

In "days of old" before AMD turned the market benchmarks upside down, it was a good idea to wait ~4 generations of Intel before upgrading. Do I think you could gain performance from a select upgrade? Yes. Would it be monetarily worth it IMO? No.

edit- of note, you don't seem to list mobo. It would be worthwhile to consider how the VRM/power delivery is on that before even considering a 9900K.

I’m using Rog Asus Strix E Z370. Yeah I’ve heard 9900k gets hot. I have 240aio coolermaster ml lite, I hope that will keep it cool if I ever get one. If not the 9900k then 5800x?

Last edited:

thehotter1

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2012
Actually faster ram would be helpful here. 2666, even with Intel, can hurt performance. Hence why an R3 3300x could outgame an i5 10400, when the 10400 was forced to run 2666, on a non Z chipset, yet the 3300x could easily run 3200, on a cheap B450 board. Anything faster than 3200 cl16 is a bit of a waste though.

I saw it helps quite abit from looking at some YouTube videos. I just clocked mine to 2800mhz today without changing voltage or cas, so far no crash when I ran 3dmark. I’m wondering how far I can push these ram without having to mess with voltages...