Question Do newer pc cases not support internal bluray/dvd burner?

MichaelKnight

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014
Do newer pc cases not support internal bluray/dvd burners?I want to be able to continue using my current pc's bluray burner with the new custom pc I will build, but it seems to me most of the new pc cases do not have a bay for an internal optical drive.

Is there a way to make it possible with a new case?

Last edited:

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019
FYI, "support" is really not an accurate term here, as ANY case with enough space to route the SATA/IDE and power cables down to the mobo connector will "support " a dvd drive...

"Fit" or "Mount" are the actual terms that matters... and yes, there are a few but not alot of new cases out there that still have the front panel openings for a 5.25" drive...

But as already mentioned, you could just buy a SATA-to-USB dongle adapter or an external USB enclosure and be happy too :)

Reactions: MichaelKnight

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Given enough desire and DIY skilz, nothing is "impossible".
I've yet to see anyone mod an optical on the front of a case with 3x rgb fans and a TG cover.. 🤣

You can put an optical anywhere it can physically fit, doesn't even need a special mount, just something to bolt it down to and isolate vibrations . That's not the issue really, the issue is access. Nobody wants to have to pull the front off their pc because the optical is buried under the psu shroud, behind the bottom front fan.

Which is why kanewolf's suggestion makes the most sense. You can use pcpartpicker.com and in the filters specify an optical bay.

MichaelKnight

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014
Thanks for your answers. I think
it comes down to choose between an older looking pc case with a 5.25bay and a case that looks great(at least I think so) with colorful rgb fans but does not support internal optical drives.

Last edited:
This SATA bracket will allow you to run multiple drives (HDD, DVD, SSD...) externally.

s-l1600.jpg

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks for your answers. I think
it comes down to choose between an older looking pc case with a 5.25bay and a case that looks great(at least I think so) with colorful rgb fans but does not support internal optical drives.
Not quite. The only requirement for 'bling' with rgb is a tempered glass/acrylic panel of decent enough size to allow for viewing the unicorn puke.

In pcpartpicker.com, click on Cases, filters.
Check side panel: tempered, tinted and acrylic
Move slider External 5.25 bays to 1-12

There's plenty of decent cases with all that, including the brand new Fractal Design Pop series and Focus-G, Enthoo pro etc. Just because it has an optical bay doesn't mean it's an old junky box 🤣

Jul 22, 2022
I ended up ordering an ICY BOX IB-AC704-6G to connect my optical drive externally. This was fine for me as I very rarely use the optical drive, but useful in those rare instances.

Edit: I should add I was actually looking for an external enclosure to house the drive, but the ones that I could find were insanely expensive, which is why I went down this route

MichaelKnight

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014
Thanks for your answers.

lvt said:
You can use the optical drive externally too.

Yes, but I prefer to use it internally.

Karadigne said:
Not quite. The only requirement for 'bling' with rgb is a tempered glass/acrylic panel of decent enough size to allow for viewing the unicorn puke.

In pcpartpicker.com, click on Cases, filters.
Check side panel: tempered, tinted and acrylic
Move slider External 5.25 bays to 1-12

There's plenty of decent cases with all that, including the brand new Fractal Design Pop series and Focus-G, Enthoo pro etc. Just because it has an optical bay doesn't mean it's an old junky box 🤣

I checked pcpartpicker.com.From what I see, there are a few full tower cases(I prefer full tower) with tempered glass/acrylic panel, with colorful leds and 5.25 bays, though most models ' leds look like one color only or colorless, rgb leds are much less.I should say I searched using the filters you mentioned plus "full tower" plus my favourite pc case makers.

If I like a pc case which has just one color leds, can I change the leds with colorful rgb leds, are they standard sized?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Read the case description. Picture is useless. Picture can have rainbow or solid color as chosen by the photographer, not a representation of exactly what fan is included unless it's #1. There's 3 kinds of lighted fan...

1. LED. Basic, single color, sometimes come with available on/off. Can be rainbow colored, but not changable rotation nor colors.

2. RGB. Analog switching, uses motherboard supplied amperage control. All leds in the chain come from a single source, so all leds are the same chosen color.

3. ARGB/DRGB. Digital switching, uses software supplied pwm control. All leds in the chain are controlled seperately, so each led responds to software control via addressing. The Only way to achieve jrainbow affects that are changeable.

So an RGB fan, all the leds can only be whatever actual color you chose, no patterns, no rotation, no rainbow. ARGB/DRGB each individual led on the fan is seperate, so can do patterns, rotation, rainbow. Just because the picture doesn't show rainbow, doesn't mean it cannot do it. Have to check the case description and the included fans. Many fans have no included lighting.

And yes, you can change out fans. A fan is a fan. Any lighting is just leds glued onto the fan and is controlled seperately, except #1.

MichaelKnight

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014
Thanks for the information.

So I think I should find the pc cases using filters on pcpartpicker.com and then look at the descriptions' of cases for LED or ARGB/DRGB lighted fans, to achieve rainbow colors... But the led lighted fans are one color only so I should look at the description for the color of it's lighting if it's a LED fan.Also type of lighting information seems not included in pcpartpicker.com's descriptions, so I will use google to find the detailed descriptions of the found cases(which I found with partpicker.com)

Last edited: