Iver Hicarte

Distinguished
May 7, 2016
Good day,

I would just like to know if Ryzen 9 CPUs take advantage of RAM speeds out of the box, like when you first plug the CPU into the system, does it utilizes the RAM speed right away? Like what they told about the previous 3000 series Ryzens, wherein they said those take advantage of high memory speed. Or do I need to tinker some settings in the UEFI first before I see this take effect? I'm a new AMD CPU user, I was an avid Intel user for years, and so since AMD is now the top dog...for now at least...I am just getting used to the AMD processor settings or whatever they have to offer. Do I have to mess something with the F Clock, because I did some research and I keep hearing about this fabric clock, or whatever it's called. I'm aware that they do take advantage of memory speeds, but is it an out of the box feature or is there something to be done first within the motherboard's UEFI?

Thanks.

Solution
this isn't some sort of fancy feature.
it's just how the CPU works.
I believe you are confusing information.
Ever since the first generation Ryzen CPU, Ryzen performs better with faster RAM.

To say it differently to try and elaborate, the CPU is what it is.
It performs however it performs at whatever speed it's clock is set to etc.

But, by comparison, if you pair said CPU with 2400MHz RAM then pair it again with 3200MHz RAM, that CPU's level of performance will increase with the faster RAM being paired with it in comparison to pairing it with the slower RAM.

The reason for this is mostly due to the infinity fabric technology built into the CPU. (can read up on that by googling it if you want)

So in short, faster RAM allows you to...

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Ever since the first generation Ryzen CPU, Ryzen performs better with faster RAM.

But, by comparison, if you pair said CPU with 2400MHz RAM then pair it again with 3200MHz RAM, that CPU's level of performance will increase with the faster RAM being paired with it in comparison to pairing it with the slower RAM.

The reason for this is mostly due to the infinity fabric technology built into the CPU. (can read up on that by googling it if you want)

So in short, faster RAM allows you to utilize said CPU closer to it's fullest potential in regards to CPU performance.

Solution

Iver Hicarte

Distinguished
May 7, 2016

So in short, faster RAM allows you to utilize said CPU closer to it's fullest potential in regards to CPU performance.
Noted. But is it an out of the box feature?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Clearly NOT noted because again, not a feature.
Not something you turn on or off.
Not something you change or mess with.
Not something you have any control over.

Ryzen CPU's just work differently than Intel by way of something called infinity fabric which basically ties together the efficiency and performance of the CPU to the speed of the RAM.
Slower RAM, worse performing CPU.
Faster RAM, better performing CPU.
(By comparison to each other using the same CPU)

Which is literally just me repeating myself.
I will not repeat myself a third time.
Goodbye :)

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Fclock and memory speeds need to be 1:1 for best optimal performance.
If running 3800mhz ram, that would be 1900 on the fclock.
Because the ram is DDR (double data rate) half that which is single rate would be 1900.

But running ram faster than 3200MHz gets exponentially more difficult the higher you go, with exponentially reduced returns in overall performance making the difficulty and financial cost to performance gains ratio very bad. Unless you have all the money to just throw at it I wouldn't go higher than 3600mhz on the RAM, but if you already own the 3800mhz then it's whatever at that point.

And depending on the ram itself along with what motherboard you may not even get it to run at 3800mhz even if that's what it's rated for.