Question Does anyone know a site that can use specs that you choose and approximate what FPS you'll get with certain settings in a game?

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
Might anyone also know a site like userbenchmark that can compare different laptops/PC specs all at once without having to individually compare each spec?

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
There are far too many iterations of laptop configurations that change far too quickly for this to be practical.
I see, I think there are only random bench marks you can find online with the approximate specs you have. Just mainly wondering if there are any sites out there that can guess the FPS on games you'll get with specs you put in.

USAFRet

Titan
I see, I think there are only random bench marks you can find online with the approximate specs you have. Just mainly wondering if there are any sites out there that can guess the FPS on games you'll get with specs you put in.
In addition to literally millions of system configs, multiply that by hundreds/thousands of games and their requirements.

Now, multiply that result by the thousands of different software combinations that might be running on different systems.

Billions of different combinations.
No 2 systems on the planet are the same.

All you can get is "approximately", as you've noted.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
IMO, if you just want some baseline number that may or may not be truly accurate, search for a YouTube video for your specific equipment.

Keep in mind that most YouTube "reviewers" are actually paid or comped by manufacturers in order to cast the product they sent over (etc.) in a good light. You should expect some shenanigans in such areas as scaling and settings and consider the results best case scenario in most cases.

Along that same vein, UserBenchmark does a similar thing but don't have much experience searching mobile (laptop) equipment there.

IMO, if you just want some baseline number that may or may not be truly accurate, search for a YouTube video for your specific equipment.
Be careful with this. People who check YT videos, to compare performance, almost always go back to forums and ask why their computer is so slow compared to this YouTube video.

Remember that posted benchmarks/gaming FPS scores are usually the top .1%. They are not the norm - they are the outlier.
No one's going to post 'meh' benchmarks/gaming FPS videos. Benchers/reviewers tweak, bench, tweak, bench, tweak, bench, etc., until they get a score that they deem 'worthy' and only then does it gets posted. These are usually people who work with technology for a living and know the ins and outs of settings and components. Many of them also know how to 'cheat' the system by running the benchmarks with unrealistic settings. They change everything from CPU priority, to benchmark config changes, to doing borderless/alt tab crap. In short, don't worry about hitting published benchmark numbers.

Reactions: punkncat

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Be careful with this. People who check YT videos, to compare performance, almost always go back to forums and ask why their computer is so slow compared to this YouTube video.

Remember that posted benchmarks/gaming FPS scores are usually the top .1%. They are not the norm - they are the outlier.
No one's going to post 'meh' benchmarks/gaming FPS videos. Benchers/reviewers tweak, bench, tweak, bench, tweak, bench, etc., until they get a score that they deem 'worthy' and only then does it gets posted. These are usually people who work with technology for a living and know the ins and outs of settings and components. Many of them also know how to 'cheat' the system by running the benchmarks with unrealistic settings. They change everything from CPU priority, to benchmark config changes, to doing borderless/alt tab crap. In short, don't worry about hitting published benchmark numbers.

Thus, why my reply is worded the way it is. Almost all reviewers are doing everything they can to maximize perceived performance for the people who are essentially paying them for the review. There are only a couple of YT reviewers that I trust in regard to performance and quality reviews. The most notable, IMO, is Steve at Gamer's Nexus. There are others who flat out have come out to tell 'us' the tricks they use to cast good light and because they are running a business...for instance Bry at TechYesCity.

It's like walking into a car dealership. That salesman isn't going to tell you about the bad things that have been happening back in the service department about that shiny new car you are thinking about buying. That is their commission and food on the table, so to speak.

Reactions: alceryes