Question Does anyone know why my computer "hiccups"?

RotoGamer2826

Reputable
Jul 11, 2017
So I'm not really a dummy with computers but this issue has me stumped and has for quite a while. I'm having a problem with my computer and my friend is also having the same issue. I built both computers. Both have aftermarket heatsinks on the CPU with Arctic MX-4 thermal paste. Both are ENTIRLEY different builds. Mine has a normal motherboard with a full sized case, my friends is a micro ATX board in a tiny case.

The issue is this: About every minute or so, my computer locks up for about 2 seconds. No crashes or anything, just a super hard freeze. It's not the worst thing that could happen to a guy on a computer but it's extremely irritating. It doesn't matter what I'm doing or playing. I could be browsing folders or playing GTA5... The same thing happens. My PC hardware is good. It still exceeds most games requirements but can't handle RTX graphics. My friends computer is about 1 1/2 years old. Mine is about 3.

Here's what I tried: I tried disabling antivirus. Disabling almost every startup application. Tried several registry fixing programs. Made sure power settings aren't restricted. Checked hard drives for errors. Heard Nvidia Container task might cause this so ended those and even tried uninstalling Nvidia GeForce Experience. Scanned for viruses. Updated all drivers. I'll update this list if I can think of more.

I have ESET antivirus. For those unfamiliar, it's an "idle" antivirus. So it does an initial scan and just watches for differences. I don't believe this would be the issue since it barely does anything until it detects something strange, plus I tried disabling it.

If this helps, I noticed that my computer doesn't do it as much when it's freshly booted and hasn't reached an idle stage yet. I also noticed that my hard drive makes a small noise every time it happens. My guess is that my computer is trying to do an extremely hard drive intensive task like disk defragmentation or something. IDK. I'm hoping someone much smarter than myself can help me.

EDIT: I have also monitored games with the Windows Game Bar and nothing seems to exceed 50% on all specs.

Here's some specs pulled from Steam:
Computer Information:
Manufacturer: System manufacturer
Model: System Product Name
Form Factor: Desktop
No Touch Input Detected

Processor Information:
CPU Vendor: AuthenticAMD
CPU Brand: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Eight-Core Processor
CPU Family: 0x17
CPU Model: 0x1
CPU Stepping: 0x1
CPU Type: 0x0
Speed: 3593 Mhz
16 logical processors
8 physical processors
HyperThreading: Supported
FCMOV: Supported
SSE2: Supported
SSE3: Supported
SSSE3: Supported
SSE4a: Supported
SSE41: Supported
SSE42: Supported
AES: Supported
AVX: Supported
AVX2: Supported
AVX512F: Unsupported
AVX512PF: Unsupported
AVX512ER: Unsupported
AVX512CD: Unsupported
AVX512VNNI: Unsupported
SHA: Supported
CMPXCHG16B: Supported
LAHF/SAHF: Supported
PrefetchW: Unsupported

Operating System Version:
Windows 10 (64 bit)
NTFS: Supported
Crypto Provider Codes: Supported 311 0x0 0x0 0x0

Video Card:
Driver: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
DirectX Driver Name: nvldumd.dll
Driver Version: 27.21.14.5167
DirectX Driver Version: 27.21.14.5167
Driver Date: 7 5 2020
OpenGL Version: 4.6
Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Refresh Rate: 120 Hz
DirectX Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
VendorID: 0x10de
DeviceID: 0x1b80
Revision: 0xa1
Number of Monitors: 1
Number of Logical Video Cards: 1
No SLI or Crossfire Detected
Primary Display Resolution: 1842 x 1036
Desktop Resolution: 1842 x 1036
Primary Display Size: 60.43" x 33.98" (69.29" diag)
153.5cm x 86.3cm (176.0cm diag)
Primary Bus: PCI Express 16x
Primary VRAM: 8191 MB
Supported MSAA Modes: 2x 4x 8x

Sound card:
Audio device: Speakers (Sound Blaster Audigy

Memory:
RAM: 65472 Mb

VR Hardware:
VR Headset: None detected

Miscellaneous:
UI Language: English
Media Type: DVD
Total Hard Disk Space Available: 11920970 Mb
Largest Free Hard Disk Block: 1387670 Mb

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can test to see if its a start up program causing it
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

If its still happening. see if it does it in safe mode
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now button
this restarts PC in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

Does it happen in safe mode?

what make/model storage drives have you got?
what motherboard?

RotoGamer2826

Reputable
Jul 11, 2017
Can test to see if its a start up program causing it
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

If its still happening. see if it does it in safe mode
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now button
this restarts PC in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

Does it happen in safe mode?

what make/model storage drives have you got?
what motherboard?

Thank you for the reply. Since my original post, I tried some things and noticed some things. I have two hard drives. Windows is installed on a Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 500GB, and I have games stored on a 10TB Western Digital hard drive. I'm certain the issue is coming from the SSD and affecting both drives since the problem happens in games and while exploring folders and files.

I went into the Task Scheduler menu and found a few tasks that were linked to already uninstalled programs. I deleted those and disabled everything else that Windows would let me. It didn't help. Today I noticed that while browsing files that while I'm in the middle of a folder, the border surrounding the folder menu will flicker white about 3 times and then the folder will reload. I had files selected, and they remained selected. But my view of the folder was bumped to the top of the folder and my selected folders were way below. I tried hitting F5 to refresh the folder and my selection was deselected. So this issue isn't a refresh but a reload, and it's so bad that it will pause games for a second and makes file exploring very hard and annoying since I could be CTRL-clicking multiple files, the folder will reset to the beginning and likely ruin what I selected.

Any ideas from here? I really don't want to return the OS to factory settings. I have important files scattered everywhere and I know I'll forget something while backing up. Thanks!