Question Does It Worth It Replacing My C-Hard drive

Fazh

Commendable
Nov 21, 2021
I have an idea and i'm consulting you & looking forward to your opinions.
*** machine components *OS = windows 7 64bit
* MB = msi Z77A-G43 (ms-7758)
* cpu = intel i7-3770
* ram = Corsair Vengeance 3 x 4GB DDR3 1600mhz
* gpu = GTX 1650 super
* c drive (system drive) = Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5 inch SATA 3 internal SSD
....................................................................................................................
im using this machine since 2012 ... its works great no issues.
what do you guys think if i buy a M.2 NVME to PCIe 3.0 x4 Adapter and move my operating system to 128GB NVMe M.2 2280 PCIe Gen 3x4 Internal SSD ? my current read/write speed is at 6Gb/s ..... if i replace it with this new drive ..it becomes 16Gb/s (my MB is providing PCIE generation 2 not 3 nor 4)

you see .. the transfer speed is doubled....does it worth it to pay $45 for this upgrade if i'm only casual not that that pro gamer?

Note: Will i lose my system settings/configurations/ any small details including my desktop icons location ..if i move my system data to another drive in the same PC?

old system unlikely to be able to boot from pcie

get a bigger ssd instead

Yep, Z77 wasn't updated for NVMe booting. Although they can work as a non boot drive. There are BIOS hacks people have done to the 70 series for NVMe support for booting. But could brick the computer if done wrong.

There's also bootloaders you can use. Such as the Clover which emulates UEFI and has NVMe support. Clover itself has to be on a device recognized by the BIOS. But once Clover takes over. It can then access NVMe drives and allow booting off NVMe.

You have a 50/50 shot of it working, ether the bios will see the drive and allow you to boot from the expansion card or it wont notice it till in windows and you have a storage drive.

For every day use and gaming you really wont notice a difference between a Sata SSD and NVMe drive. Heck other then a few games, 98% of my games are still installed on a standard spinning hard drive.

Reactions: Fazh

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019
A total waste of $45 IMHO, due to the age your machine. With only pcie gen 2 to use, any speed-ups that an nvme drive would normally give (on a more current machine) will be totally lost anyways :)

I suggest you put that money towards a larger SATA 3 drive (or a large flash drive), if you really need moar storage space...

But for future reference, yes, you can normally clone your existing OS, apps, settings & data to a new drive without losing them....

Reactions: Fazh

Fazh

Commendable
Nov 21, 2021
Well, i changed my mind. i just received NVME adapter and silicon power SSD. now i have an issue here. on Device Manager (PCI Device) section i see ''The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)''

GLOTRENDS M.2 PCIe NVMe 4.0/3.0 Adapter does not need a driver.
now this NVME SSD needs a driver. i'm using Windows 7 Ultimate sp1.

almost all guides needs me to install windows 7 again on another drive to add drivers/hotfix so i can boot the system that recognizes NVME.

well i do not want to reinstall again and lose my system infos/configurations. i just want to add this driver to my current windows version on same disk. i hope all get what i mean :)

Fazh

Commendable
Nov 21, 2021
Do not bother with trying to 'move' your Windows install from the existing SATA SSD to this new NVMe drive and adapter.

In a blind test, you would not see an actual difference.
Leave it as it.
after a deep search thru the internet and watching some youtube videos. you are absolutely right. Then again, the 250 gig drive and the adapter did not cost that much. thank you amigo (y)