[SOLVED] Doubled the memory and halved the performance!! Any help appreciated

spaingaroo

Proper
Jan 21, 2019
Hi, I hope someone can help me work out how to proceed.
I am a visual artist, and only know as much about my computers as I have to at any given time.
I just installed 16 GB more GSkill FlareX F4-3200C14D-16GFX RAM (making 32, 4 sticks of 8 GB) and a new 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, M.2 (2280) PCIe 3.0 (x4) NVMe SSD [MZ-V7E500BW] onto a X470 Gaming Pro motherboard based computer. (I installed both at the same time)
(Obviously the computer is not old, about six months old.)
Processor is AMD Ryzen 7 2700X and the graphics cards is a Radeon WX 4100
It already has a 250GB Samsung 970 EVO, M.2 NVMe SSD with windows 10 pro installed on it.
That one is installed in slot M2-1 and the new 500gb one in M2-2.
It also has a Kingston SSD 120GB Sata.
There are a pair of rotative hard drives, that are normally unplugged, (for example during all of this process, so can be safely ignored for the moment)
I cleaned everything first, well during the installation with compressed air, but apart from that did nothing special during the process.
After I reassembled the case, brought it downstairs and reattached all it's cables etc, I booted it up. It restarted several times after very short periods, and eventually flashed a message up on the screen saying something about changed configurations, but the message was gone as soon as I noticed it, so can't say exactly what it said.
I eventually got into the bios and checked, and it seems to recognise the new hardware. I went and checked the MSI website, and there was an updated BIOS, so I downloaded that, and installed it using the m-flash method. This went off all right, but has made no difference.

The computer restarts itself several times when I boot it up each time now and although it eventually goes to windows, windows doesn't recognise the new SSD.
Looking for it in device manager turns up nothing. The bios still shows it as being there.

Also, the memory is only going at 1866 MHz and doesn't recognise the changes to the A-XMP status. (before the installation, it was set on profile two, and said that it was operating at 3200 MHz) Now it says that it is on A-XMP 2 but still reads 1866 MHz.

What did I do wrongly? I didn't think I needed to do anything before installing this new hardware. It is identical to the installed hardware. More memory of the same brand and type, same model number, and the disc is the same type only bigger.

Any advice for a stumped non IT professional, as I am? Thanks in advance.
This is how it is currently testing https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/14021041
Unfortunately, I can't find a previous tes, but previously it was well over 100% on Desktop and Workstation, although about the same on gaming
PS
I have been trying changes in the BIOS and now it is not booting all the way to windows but rather going to the BIOS only.
I have gone into the BIOS again now and unchecked the Windows 10 WHQL support and now I can get into windows again.
But it's all over the place. Now the CPU fan is going at 2500 rpm but the CPU temp is far higher than it was before with the fan running at much lower speed. I am trying to tune that now.

I had better post this and not make any more changes until someone who knows what they are doing helps out.

Solution
Well for the
Time being atleast you can pull the last set of 16gb to return and still use the system at the rated 3200.
If that doesn't improve those ssd scores something still is holding it back.
Still may need win 10 reset or clean install.
A 16gb test @3200 should give you some sort of indication.

spaingaroo

Proper
Jan 21, 2019

hi rdg1101, the two ram kits are exactly the same model, although obviously not from the same batch, one can assume. Does that make any difference to your answer?

rgd1101

Don't

don't matter if the 2 kits are same model.
They only test if 4x8GB work together when it come as 1 kits.

spaingaroo

Proper
Jan 21, 2019

So I have done a heap of money then, if this is my only solution. Because I am sure that used memory isn't going to fetch the new prices. I have no more money to come up with the difference for the moment.
I haven't yet tried changing the slots, as I am making a copy of all my files on drive C and was going to try reinstalling windows.
Is that a waste of time?

spaingaroo

Proper
Jan 21, 2019
yes, that was because it was too full I think, and it was testing the 250 GB one. That test needs 32 gig free. I am just making a new back-up in order to re-install windows. Maybe then it will test.
Maybe it is the RAM issue that is causing the problems.
Theoretically I can have two of these type of SSD can't I?
After all I have two M2 slots, and the BIOS recognises both discs.

spaingaroo

Proper
Jan 21, 2019

even then it would be better than the 1866, and not too far of the peak performance. I am still making the back-up.
Not that I understand fully your message.
What is the IMC?
So much I don't know. Should have left well enough alone.

spaingaroo

Proper
Jan 21, 2019

Umm, no I didn't. I didn't know that I should have.
I used the MSI m-flash utility. The BIOS seems to have flashed perfectly well, but made no differences anywhere. From what I have been reading around the place, doing a fresh windows install may help, but may not too, I admit.

Just making some food so am in and out

spaingaroo

Proper
Jan 21, 2019

well, too late now.
I think it hasn't been a problem. In that, there has been no change in the situation since I did the BIOS flash.
I suppose I should have studied up before starting. I thought it was a simple thing. My bad

spaingaroo

Proper
Jan 21, 2019

So you would say try moving the sticks around?
Do I need to keep them matched? You know, keep the two older sticks in 1 and 3 together, as in, move them to 2 and 4 and vice versa.
Or is it safe to try mixing them up more thoroughly?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
After re-reading all that.

As to the M.2. I think I saw you say in original post that it's showing in BIOS. Have you gone into disk management and formatted/allocated it yet?

As to the other. First, go back to your original RAM sticks in the slots they were in and see if the performance issue corrects. If so, try the other two sticks in those same slots and see if they perform the same. Then try all four.
Make sure they are fully seated.

If they don't perform as well as a pair as the other, my next question would be did you purchase these new, or used?
If new I would try and return. If used, they may have been damaged?

spaingaroo

Proper
Jan 21, 2019

Hey, thanks for that. That is obviously the problem. Sorry to not have thought of it myself. It would be showing as unallocated space I suppose.
That's done now and showing up properly in Windows. Can't believe i didn't think of that myself.
I'll try doing the memory changes after I eat.

spaingaroo

Proper
Jan 21, 2019

oh, ok. Let's see if anyone knows.

thanks

Hmm no responses on that yet.

Can you try your xmp in bios
The set the speed to 2666 or 2933 and see how it runs.

From all that i have read ryzen's still only has a 2 channel IMC as the FX series did.
With the fx series you could put in 4x8 32gb say 1866 but the imc would default it to 1600.

spaingaroo

Proper
Jan 21, 2019
well, update.
Now, after I left it while I was making food, it has shut itself down.
And when I started it up, it didn't do the shut down and start up thing several times, as it had been doing since I fitted the new articles at all, but it is not giving any signal to the monitor.
To restate, this time the start-up sequence seemed to run straight through, but it the screen remains black. The monitor considers it has a signal, as it has an auto shut down when it isn't getting any signal, and it is not shutting down. It is just all in black.

I will try pulling the new memory sticks out and see what happens

spaingaroo

Proper
Jan 21, 2019
pulling the memory out has gotten it to boot. Still can't seem to apply the A XMP profile though. It's clocking at 2400
I will now try using only the new memory
see what happens

spaingaroo

Proper
Jan 21, 2019
the new memory seems to work exactly as the older ones, with the boot up running through more quickly, and the computer not recognising any change

I will see what the combo does this time. I dropped one of the memory sticks on the ground in the process, I hope I didn't do it any damage