Question Download and upload speed high but ping fluctuates!

TheJJBman11

Honorable
Jan 6, 2015
Hi guys,

I've just moved into my uni accommodation and have noticed a few issues with the wifi.

To my knowledge the landlord shares one router between 4 hours totalling 25 people. The router isn't in my house and we merely have 1 wifi booster which is located at the further point from my room.

Sometimes in my room my phone's signal to the wifi will be on 1 bar or even just fully disconnect. My PC at times fully disconnects also, but when it is connected I'm getting download speeds of 40mbps.

However, when I'm gaming (usually DBD) my ping will be at 50 in the lobby which is fine. But once I get into a game it can, and regularly does, spike to 1100 ping??

It's so frustrating because usually my wifi is fine for like YouTube and stuff like that but it is ALWAYS troublesome when I'm gaming.

In my room I have a https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Wi-Fi-Range-Extender-EX2700/dp/B00NIUHAG6/ref=sr_1_3?crid=13KBS1PO0CLZZ&dchild=1&keywords=netgear+wifi+range+extender&qid=1599556591&sprefix=netgea%2Caps%2C163&sr=8-3 (connected to my PC via an ethernet cable) and a https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WN881ND-Wireless-Interface-Low-Profile-2-6-24-4-1/dp/B006BSPTAQ/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=tplink+wifi+card&qid=1599556606&sr=8-3 in my PC.

I really appreciate any responses because my landlord and letting agency are beyond useless :)

boju

Titan
Ambassador
There's not a lot you can do on your end besides maybe running a cable directly from the router to rule out wifi interference. Or maybe relocate the wifi extender.

Download/upload bandwidth might be fine but obviously data packets are slow to arrive. We're taking milliseconds to a second. Youtube can easily buffer quite quickly but latency sensitive (realtime) situations, evident while gaming (not lobby), as more data packs are sent to and from each player is noticed a lot more.

Having up to 25 people using the one router id imagine isn't going to do anyone any favours. Do you know anyone else in the premises whom game? How do they fair?

Last edited:

TheJJBman11

Honorable
Jan 6, 2015
There's not a lot you can do on your end besides maybe running a cable directly from the router to rule out wifi interference. Or maybe relocate the wifi extender.

Download/upload bandwidth might be fine but obviously data packets are slow to arrive. More evident while gaming (not lobby) as more data packs are sent to and from each player.

Having up to 25 people using the one router id imagine isn't going to do anyone any favours. Do you know anyone else in the premises whom game? How do they fair?
Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately I won't be able to run any cables since the router is in a completely different house haha :/ I will try moving the wifi extender to someone else's room I guess?

Ahh this makes more sense, I feel bad complaining when the download speed is fine but you've shown why I'm still getting issues!

Yeah I live with a friend who also games but his room is next to the one wifi booster we have and he seems to have no issues with ping thus far.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah I live with a friend who also games but his room is next to the one wifi booster we have and he seems to have no issues with ping thus far.

Ive edited my post slightly if it matters.

How close is his room to yours? Within say 100m? Maybe in and out a Window 😁? Doesn't need to be this long, it's the range of a network cable. Could it be possible connecting wifi extender or switch originating from friends room?

TheJJBman11

Honorable
Jan 6, 2015
Ive edited my post slightly if it matters.

How close is his room to yours? Within say 100m? Maybe in and out a Window 😁? Doesn't need to be this long, it's the range of a network cable. Could it be possible connecting wifi extender or switch originating from friends room?
So I've tried a few of your suggestions, I just went to his room to see what his connection is like - he is getting full wifi bars (idk the correct term but I hope you know what I mean) whereas I get 0 bars unless I'm connected to my wifi extender.

I put the wifi extender in his room but couldn't connect at all so I've moved it to my room but in a different location and it does connect but my download is 25mbps worse than when I had it next to the computer but connected via an ethernet cable.

I could move it to the girl's room who is in between us but surely my signal will just be worse?

I can't run any cables as we have no ethernet ports in the wif booster near my friend's room :/ the router is in a different house and windows are a no go considering the neighbourhood i live in is dodgy so I wanna keep them closed hahah

boju

Titan
Ambassador
No problem, keep trying.

Wifi extenders also have network ports. If only you could have it in your friends room and tape a network cable along the ceiling. Yeah i know, some prick might snip your cable lol.

Hopefully wifi extender works better in the other room and cleanly passes it on to you.

TheJJBman11

Honorable
Jan 6, 2015
Ah you've been a massive help dude thank you so much! Things do seem to be getting better but it always has a tendency to work fine for a couple hours and then just completely plummet. So I guess I've just gotta keep monitoring it and trying more of your suggestions :)